Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995 JDM WRX
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that it's been well under -40C for the past couple nights up here in Canada, my car (2004 RS, EJ251) has been sort of acting up. But for the past couple days, I've noticed a raw gasoline smell seeping in from engine bay. Took a look under the hood today to try and find where the smell is coming from, fuel line screws; nope, looked a little harder, noticed that one of my fuel injectors looked wet, and sure enough that's where the smell is coming from.

I'm wondering if anyone has had this issue before? I know it's a fire hazard and I'm going to do some work asap. But I'm wondering if my fuel injector could be loose, maybe an O ring is broken, or if the whole thing could be broken, and what would I be looking at price wise if I wanted to replace just the one fuel injector? (if that's possible)

Side note: it hasn't thrown a CEL.

Any input is really appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
Black 2001 RS
787 Posts
But...he said the injector was wet and that's where the fuel smell was coming from.

You'll have to pull the injector to see exactly what's wrong. O-rings aren't too hard to find, injectors might be a little more difficult to source.

·
Registered
1995 JDM WRX
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But...he said the injector was wet and that's where the fuel smell was coming from.

You'll have to pull the injector to see exactly what's wrong. O-rings aren't too hard to find, injectors might be a little more difficult to source.
Yeah, the injector itself looked really glossy, strong smell of raw gas, and even a little bit of steam rising from the area..

And yeah I'm hoping it's just the O-ring, or it's loose. Injectors seem to be pretty pricey, even just for one..

·
Registered
99 RS (WRX swap), 06 WRX wagon
324 Posts
I had an o-ring fail once exactly as you described but not due to cold weather, it was a $2.00 5 minute fix.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,315 Posts
Likely the o ring, the colder weather makes things shrink and when they are borderline too small the fuel leaks around them. O rings are cheap and even getting a used injector from someone here would be a good idea just in case it wasn't the O rings. Better to be prepared for either. I would actually replace both sets of o rings on that rail, if you're removing it you could damage the others.

·
Registered
00'RS/02' WRX stgEleventy
2,144 Posts
It is VERY common for the rubber lines near the fuel injectors to fail in the extreme cold..

Sent from an other planet (Tapatalk)

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,315 Posts
+1, its like the hose exterior shrinks but the clamps don't shrink as much and the hose gets loose. The one near the fuel pressure regulator ticks me off almost to the point of doing a parallel line mod just so I can get to the lines with no problems.

It is VERY common for the rubber lines near the fuel injectors to fail in the extreme cold..

Sent from an other planet (Tapatalk)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts