Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a while I have had a sloppy 2-3 shift in my auto 2.5RS. It was getting so bad that at one point I thought I was going to have to take it in and have it looked at.

After I did the 3" elbow mod to the air box attached to the throttle body I decided to do an ECU reset. With a 30 minute wait and 10 minute idle I no longer have a bad 2-3 shift. Completely gone. It has been over 2500 miles and it's still good.

I believe I know what caused it in the first place. In the past I also had a bad 3-4 shift. After an ECU reset it went away but I just chocked it up to a gremlin. Anyway, occasionaly I like to manually shift. I believe that manually shifting my auto seems to knock it out of it's "groove" or it seems to confuse the ECU/TCU and over a period of time the normal auto shifts get worse.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am not going to manually shift it for as long as I can to see if it shifts normally during this time. Once I feel that it's done well, I'll drop it from overdrive to 3rd a couple of times over a period of days and see what happens. I believe I'll find that it goofs up the TCU and I'll get crappy shifts again.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I manual shift my 4eat all the time and I have never noticed that issue. It actually seems to have the opposite effect for me...like my TCU learns my shifting habits. I think I have a different tranny though; my car is a 97.

-Andy

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know, come to think of it, mine has never learned my shifting habits. There are times when I'll put the pedal to the metal and it will shift up not down. I've got to let off and then do it again for it to kick down. :(

·
Registered
RIP: MY00 BRP 2.5RS Sedan 4EAT
1,582 Posts
mine leared my driving techniques but it also feels like it slips between shifts... but i have Redline ATF in

·
Registered
45 Posts
RallyImprezive said:
I manual shift my 4eat all the time and I have never noticed that issue. It actually seems to have the opposite effect for me...like my TCU learns my shifting habits.

-Andy
My car does this too. It won't shift into 4th by itself below 50 most of the time :D . I love it when she picks up my habits. we're growing... together... :p .

and the 4EATs have been the same for all the imprezas pretty much forever. since like 1990 or so.

-IggDawg

·
Registered
28 Posts
my 2.5RS lags also

I have only had my 2001 2.5RS for 1 week, but I have noticed too that it is sloppy with it's shifting. Seems to lag between shifts sometimes. I have noticed though that the car is picking up my stomp on the gas driving habits though, hopefully it will just keep getting better.

A Ganzflow cold air intake is on the way so I will be doing a ECU reset soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts