Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for the GC Impreza......i was thinking of this.....

is there a slick tire for a 17x7 that would not rub the wheel well or fender lip? The tyoe of slick tire would be one used for track racing with turns.

What about the 16x7? I'm sure the 16x7 may be a bit better for slicks.

Gimme some input for both sizes.

Thanks!
FuJi

·
Registered
796 Posts
In the 16 inch size Michelin and Yokohama both have a 205-55/16 R compound that will fit with no rubbing. Hoosier just came out with a 215/40-16 that should fit too, and it will really bring that gear ratio down as well. Hoosier and Kumho both also have a 205/45-16, but the Hoosiers are not the autocross compound. They only come in the Road Race compound. In 17 inch only Michelin has a 205/50-16. All the Michelins are REALLY expensive. But I have heard they are very good tires.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My buddy has put the 205/45/16 Kumho ECSTA V700s on his GC8 RS with his H&R coilover setupo and Whiteline Sways. He hasn't been beaten yet, but then, I haven't raced him toe to toe with my GC8 yet, also with H&R coilovers ;-)

Anyway the 16"x7" wheel with the smaller tire give you a great gearing benefit and lowers the center of gravity without affecting the suspension geometry. In addition tire contact patch is almost the same and of course the tires are less expensive.

-Drew

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
yeah, you want to go with the smallest wheel that will clear your brakes, as long as it isn't heavy like a rally wheel. basically, its because of everything Pilot said and they weigh less, and rotational mass is a very bad thing.

for slicks, you'll probably want to go with hoosiers. you may want to talk to some of the local clubracers. you may be able to pick up cheap used tires from them. auto-x tires are a different matter. i would probably go with the kumhos, unless you can afford and adequately use the hoosiers, and your auto-x's are on concrete. i'll be getting the kumhos for next season, but only because BFG doesn't make the R1 anymore :(

·
Registered
796 Posts
but only because BFG doesn't make the R1 anymore
I really loved that tire. I like the Hoosiers I have now too, but they are very tempermental. The R1s had the characteristics of a really good street tire, except with tons more grip and better steering response.

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Templar

The Michelin you're talking about are slicks right? The 17x7 i'm looking at are Racing Harts CP-035 with slicks (Michelin or other).

I'm just wondering if there are slicks that would not rub with the 17x7 Racing Hart CP-035 and MY98 Gold rims....

just wanting some pre-info....:)

·
Registered
796 Posts
Oops, sorry, Yeah I meant to type 205/50-17. Yeah, those are probably going to be the only 17 inch R compounds that won't rub on a GC8. The 225/45-17 are probably going to be to wide to run on without substantial fender mods in the rear.

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From looking at pictures of many Impreza's with the stock 16's, it look big enough already.

I've found the weight difference and stuff.

MY98 Golds
16x7
17 lbs each

Racing Hart CP-035
16x7
10.8 lbs each

Racing Hart CP-035
17x7.5
13 lbs each

I really would like the 17x7.5. I'm still debating if the 16 or 17 would make any difference in handling. The 17's i know for sure that i'll get thinner profile tires and less sidewall flex.

But I'm worried about rubbing with slicks because now i've just found out that it's 17x7.5 instead of 17x7.

Also where can slicks be purchased from? The net as SPECIAL ORDER? I think i need to ask around....

Anymore input..??
Thanks!

·
Registered
796 Posts
The idea that I have been kicking around for autocross is as follows.

Racing Hart CP-035 16x7.5 5x100 47 offset. 13.6 lbs each

Hoosier 215 40-16 A3S03 Race tires. Unfortunately, Hoosier says these will not fit properly on a 7 inch rim.

It would be an expensive proposition though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
215 section width Hoosiers will fit fine on a 7" rim. I had 225/45/15 A3S03's 7" wheels on my miata last year without a problem. In fact, almost all the national caliber Miata drivers in CS are running 225/45/15's on the stock 15 x 6" miata sport wheels without a problem.

The prolem we Suby guys run into with the hoosiers is they are significanly wider than their respective Kumho's. So the GS 2.5RS guys have found that while a 225/50/16 Victoracer will fit with only minor rubbing issues on the side of the strut (cured with the new V700 supposedly), the Hoosier the the same size will not fit at all.

A good place for information on autocross tires is Tirerack

Brian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts