2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
2x01 2.5RS, 97 gm4
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
As some of you know, I have an '07 STi donor car. MaiMai and I risked our lives (there was a really bad snow storm) getting this car to Goshen from Portland, IN on February 21, 2009.

I had gotten sick while getting the car, so the first week wasn't very productive, but we have been cranking out a lot of man power during these past few days.

This is what we have done so far (in order):
removed entire interior and body panels
removed engine harness/engine bay harness (most of the wiring in the car)
removed radiator, engine, and front hubs

Interior before:

Interior after:

Harness before:

Harness after:

Engine bay before:

Engine bay after:

We were going to do this in a big shop, but because of various reasons we are doing this in an overly crowded garage at home.

While attempting to remove the motor we noticed some unforseen problems, one being a broken cam gear. )':

The engine removal took a lot of helpers. Yesterday (Feb. 28) I worked for over 2 hours trying to slide the motor off of the transmission with no luck. My friends came over to help, but it took the brute strength of my dad to get the motor completely off of the tranny.

(My friend, Jordan, is between my legs) ;)

We're hoping to get the car running by April, but we are short on money now and we're not sure how long it will be until the car is running.

We will try to update when we have made any progress.

·
Registered
2x01 2.5RS, 97 gm4
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have been busy/lazy this past week so I haven't had much progress.
I spent a lot of time cleaning up the garage and moving parts that were taken off around in order to make some work room.
Here is how the car sits now:

I took out rear hubs, subframe, driveshaft, diff, and fuel tank.

All nice and empty

Here is how the engine bay looks now:

Hopefully it will be completely disassembled in few days.

·
Registered
2001 2.5RS/WRX BRP
386 Posts
well it's gonna be kick ass definantly, but speaking from experience you're gonna want to get that cam shaft checked to see if it is bent, my first motor i used some cams that the exact same thing happened and the engine was destroyed within 1000 miles.

·
Registered
2x01 2.5RS, 97 gm4
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well it's gonna be kick ass definantly, but speaking from experience you're gonna want to get that cam shaft checked to see if it is bent, my first motor i used some cams that the exact same thing happened and the engine was destroyed within 1000 miles.
how do i do that?

·
Registered
2x01 2.5RS, 97 gm4
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for all the comments. yes i will do a compression test after its all swaped because i dont have a key....some one stole it :curse:

if the compression is bad.......then it wont be done in aprilish time

I would get some cams, new valves, springs, mild port :)

by the way any one has a cam gear for this? or would ej20g cam gear work?

·
Not a premium member
2002 Aspen White WRX
3,919 Posts
thanks for all the comments. yes i will do a compression test after its all swaped because i dont have a key....some one stole it :curse:
I hope you kept the receipts from buying it, and you have the title in hand. Otherwise, you'll have one hell of a time getting a new key for it.

·
Not a premium member
2002 Aspen White WRX
3,919 Posts
yes i have the title. i already called them and tried convincing them that i can bring harness and steering column with car battery and get it done :) i will try calling again though. lol
plus i get dealers discount ;)
Niceee, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pick up the STi for?

·
EZ GF w/Curves!
97'OBS/94'SVX LSi/00'OBS/01&#8
8,801 Posts
So Slava how much of everything are you swapping over? I"m interested in that armrest peice as I got a 07" center peice from a buddy on the cheap after he bought a trashed 07 basicly only for the 6speed and sold off everything else and he just about gave it to me but it's missing the 2 peices that make up the armrest from behind the ebrake and cup holders. Let me know as those little bastards are hard as hell to find unless the 02-07 peice is all the same(minus the color)
-Gaddis

1 - 20 of 105 Posts