Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to look into getting a single-stage brake booster to improve pedal feel - where do you get them and is there a certain part number? BTW, this'll be in addition to upgraded pads, lines and fluid. Thanks for any help.
tasteycow

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
I'd say do the lines first, then if you're still unhappy with the feel upgrade the booster. The SSBB is a beeeotch of a job, unless you like bloody knuckles, if so then press.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Holy shit that's a lot of effort just to get better pedal feel. Yeah, I think I'll go with the ss lines and upgraded pads first. Although, that rs-to-legacy turbo rear brake swap DOES look worthwhile. I'll have to do a search for that one. Thanks for the replies.
tasteycow

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
I'll be doint the 02 WRX front rotor swap soon (like next weekend) and I'll post results. One other option is to get an MRT support bracket. I made mine for under $10, all parts sourced from Lowes.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Sliding door roller/bracket, self tapping screws, nut. There's your parts list. The sliding door rollor looks like a large bent "Y" and has a large platic wheel attached to a long bolt. Take off the rollor, find a nut that fits onto the thread. Remove fuel filter and position bracket so the head of the bolt is almost flush with the master cylinder. Take a marker and mark the appropriate bolt hole locations of the bracket (there are holes already drilled in the arms of the "Y"). Take self tapping screws and get the holes started, back out screws, replace bracket, tighten down, adjust large bolt to secure master cylinder, reinstall fuel filter, done.

I'll see if I can get pics.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Why the RS to Legacy rear brakes? Are the rears on the RS not ventilated or something? I'm not anywhere near my RS is why I am asking and if they aren't can't I swap in the rear brakes from a WRX?

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
The SSBB is a serious pain, from what I've heard, but it's worth it for the brake feel, I've also heard...

Do indeed go with the stainless lines first, maybe followed up by an upgraded master cylinder bracket.

www.subaruwrxparts.com/per-gc8.html is Exeter Subaru in NH. No sales tax ( :) ), great prices, and they sell both items (the SSBB and the bracket), among lots of other goodies.

As for the rear brake upgrade, the Legacy rotors I think folks are talking about are coming from the JDM Turbo Legacy, not the USDM Legacy GT.... But I'm not sure about that one.

-S2-

·
Registered
229 Posts
The older Turbo Legacy's had vented rear disc brakes. The RS does not. That's about it. I do believe both are the same size just different thickness due to the venting.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
The legacy rotors are the same size, not sure on the GC8 WRXs... if the diameter is the same, go for it. One word of caution though, if the brakes are too big (or grippy) you will cause a dangerous snap oversteer situation.

Still working on pics of the bracket for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts