Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon/Legacy
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying what I think is an EJ253 block/heads to put into my 02' Outback as it has bad threads for the head bolts, and it' was an ej22 w/ ej251 heads anyhow.

The ej253 is out of a 2005 Impreza.

I plan to use my heads as they will be fresh out of the machine shop anyhow, and use 6 star MLS gaskets to match the ej251 heads, along with subaru oem gaskets elsewhere.

I hope to use(looking for opinions) an ebay timing/pump kit using a gmb brand water pump along with all the needed seals and tensioner/idlers. In my mind, I should be fine using all 2002 parts since all I'm using is the newer short block. I'll be using my stock 02' intake as well to avoid any ecu/sensor troubles.

I'm asking if I need to look out for anything, and if this looks to be all in order. I'm not a subie expert by any stretch, I didnt even know 2.5L heads would bolt up and run in the ej22 until I found out thats what someone had done to my car, along with using junk gaskets, a cut off bolt, and improper torque technique......

Also, can I use the ej253 heads if my ej251's turn out to be toast along with my stock instake? The ej253 is out of an 05' no so variable valvle timing or anything like that.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1995 Red Bomber Impreza
2,228 Posts
Should be no problem with either options.

I just ised a short block out of a 99 rs for my 03 baja.

But i reused my heads because on the drivers side there was and egr valve. (I think thats what its called. Metal pipe connecting the head to the intake.)

I also reused my crank and cam sprockets.

My suggestions are do what i did. I crossed refrenced gaskets to the two years to see if they matched. If they did the parts should interchange.

·
Premium Member
1995 Red Bomber Impreza
2,228 Posts
Also to add to make this simple. Use the timing pieces for wjat car its going in.

Like cam amd crank sprocket, timing belt, knock sensor.

Sensors should all ne the same.

When mating the blocks for me there wasnt a spot for two bell housing bolts but there was still four bolts and two studs with nuts on it

·
EZ GF w/Curves!
97'OBS/94'SVX LSi/00'OBS/01&#8
8,816 Posts
The 05' 253 will work perfectly so long as you use the intake manifold and timing gears off the motor you pulled. I think the 05' may have different timing triggers than the 251's. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found my answer, keep in mind I was asking about a short block no heads. You can use a 253 in place of a 251 but you can't put 253 heads on a 251(at least not the 06' and up). I ended up using an 08' ej253 w/ i-avls and only have to plug the egr port, and one tube I did not need for my manifold. I reused my intake, and cam/crank pulleys and it fired right up first shot. My iavls is totall inoperate as I'm not doing a ecu swap, however I do plan to install an rpm switch to activate them and see how the stock ecu handles it, probably should get an A/F meter......?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd imagine the EJ25D would work, I didn't go after this block(entire engine/heads) because I desired it so much as it was available to me at a great price. I bought this engine shipped for less than half of what a 2002 motor with 160k miles would have cost me locally. I'm talking about the i-avls, I'd have to look the acronym up but basically it's have one intake valve per cylinder that has 2 cam profiles, one for low demand/idle, and one more agressive profile for higher rpm and more load/throttle input. From what I've gathered most of the time any throttle is applied over 1800rpm this system is using the higher profile, I'm sure the ecu is doing some things as well but I'm going to just toss an rpm switch set at 2000rpm or so and see how it does. It doesnt seem to be something that has been done much mostly as there isn't a big gain of any kind by using this motor, but again, it's what was available that counted most for me at the time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys ! New here. I just did an engine swap on my 2004 Impreza 2.5 TS. The motor seems to be an EJ253, it`s a JDM, I wapped the intake but did not swap cam and cank sprocket ! I tried to start but it didn't. Did I break anything ??? How do I know what engine it is ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.