Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

81 - 100 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
The subaru of many acronyms
1,918 Posts
low compression square pocket dish stroker ewww. oe closed deck though so that's nice.

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
stock tune friendly :rolleyes: Believe me, if I had to resources to tune my ECU, I would've done something more wild. ....I have an EJ257 case in my shop itching for a big build for when I upgrade to a standalone

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
What heads and turbo are going on it? Ive never been a fan of the stroker motors sacrifice 800rpm of redline for 200rpm quicker spool and peakier torque band. anything that doesn't rev to atleast 7500rpm reliably on a 6spd just feels wrong IMO.

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Unless I get another set of heads to build, I'll slap my v5/6 EJ207 heads on the 257 block with either my VF28 or a VF39 or something. I'm don't know what my torque curve looks like now or what it looked like before but I didn't have to sacrafice and redline RPM; why would you?

Does 92Ss have a thread for the development of the software for my ECU?

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
The 4.44 was great for racing but like you said, terrible for daily driving. 4000 rpms @ 75mph in 5th gear isn't very gas friendly. Plus, my particular gearbox had a really loud whine when light or off the throttle. Got sick of that so I sold it to a grassroots rally team while it was still good which funded my 6mt.

6mt is where's it's at; stronger and better gearing but definitely heavier.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
If you want a 79mm stroke engine to stay together you dont want to rev them as high, drop about 500rpm to maintain the same piston speed and then also drop another 200-300 or so for the compromise in rod stroke/rod angle. your ultimately limited by your heads and turbo on any ej engine and the heads all have the same limit. The displacement increase generally only yields about 200 or so rpm lower boost threshold, so you narrow your usable rpms by about 500rpm. the larger displacment ej assuming the same heads will have a steeper peakier torque curve, most 2.5s torque spikes up then falls off, a 2.0 while less peak torque has more area under the torque curve and generally make more torque and power from 6k through redline (which with the close ratios of the 6spd you spend a good deal of time in the 6k plus range when accelerating)

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
good info, thanks.

I rarely find myself pulling to redline/rev limit except for the occasional drift or during auto-x. When I first swapped the EJ207, I quickly realized that power falls off around 1000 rpms before redline.

·
Registered
01 white GF
2,337 Posts
Fortunately the only place I ever go that doesn't involve a back road is Seattle to watch those stupid seahawks. I hate interstate driving. Still planning on a 6 speed dccd someday though but not for awhile

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Thanks to Vermont's new state inspection regulation which will likely take 20% of its residents vehicles off the road; this will be the last summer the RSTi is allowed on public roads :(

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
OBD-2 vehicles can't have any CEL's and all applicable readiness monitors need to pass. With my JDM ECU in a 97 chassis, the scanner obviously won't communicate.

On top of that, VT is implementing a new computer database for all vehicles and their inspection history. So if your car fails, you can't go to another shop and have it passed until what the original shop found is fixed ...even if the second shop considers it passable.

I'd love to leave but the rally team insists on stayin in Vermont but that's a whole other story.

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
yea that may be the long term plan. I literally just swapped everything from my 99RS to the 97 Brighton :lol:

For now, I just bought a 2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab to dd and tow the car to events.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Uhm aren't the rally cars Vermont registered... Don't you guys run motecs or something? hows that all going to work. Or do they have enough money to pull some special race car clause where they don't have to deal with that bull.

81 - 100 of 166 Posts