Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SIMER's GREEN MT SCOOB(s)

This is my original journal when I had my 96 Brilliant Red L. Here the link to my STi swapped RS http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t157332-simers-super-ultra-mega-jdm-v5-rsti-type-ra-ltd.html

a preview of the old girl :boxer:

Hey guys, to those of you who don't know me, I'm Simon. I was born and raised in Vermont and I absolutely love it here. 802 represent!

So long before I had a drivers license, my gear-headed mind was tinkering on all kinds of toys, mostly my Ski-doo. When I got my permit, I still held a strong passion for the snow and winter. That's when I fell in love with Subaru and AWD! Ever since then I've been hooked and owned nothing but Subarus. :projectsti.com:

Post # 1 - Intro/Background Info
Post # 2 - Mod List
Post # 3 - Pre-Drop Pictures on 96 L
Post # 4 - Post-Drop Pictures on 96 L
Post # 8 - Winter Photoshoot @ Fish Hill
Post # 9 - First Boxer Engine Pull/Clutch Install [98 Impreza]
Post #12 - Arrival/Installed Tanabe CB
Post #19 - Interesting/Random Personal Facts
Post #21 - FREE Kosei Wheels
Post #23 - Snow Attack Setup
Post #24 - SOLD THE 96 L, BOUGHT A 99 RS
Post #29 - DIY Black Housing Headlights
Post #36 - Rallitek Skid Plate
Post #35 - Replica Borla Headers
Post #41 - Highland Universal Black Mudflaps
Post #42 - JDM Lightweight Bumper Beams
Post #47 - ADR Flite 5's before and after pic
Post #51****** EJ253 Dies, v6 STi RA Limited reborn :)*****
Post #53 - Pre-swap preparation, yankin' out that tired EJ253
Post #54 - N/A exhaust removal/RSR TBE comparison and install
Post #55 - screw engine cranes, I got a forklift!
Post #58 - Pre-shipment pictures of the RA limited
Post #63 - Dropping the N/A Crossmember
Post #64 - Walbro 255lph + install kit
Post #65 - Digging out the ECU and searching for the very well hidden SMJ

After driving my mom's GMC Jimmy for a year or so, I finally bought my first car:

1998 Impreza L 4DR 5MT in Black w/ 151K mi. $2500 R.I.P.

When I first got her, I completely detailed her and got her all nice and shiny.

As time passed on, I did some minor things. When I bought the car, the drivers seat was torn on the outside bolster...probably from some fatty getting in and out lazily. Couldn't have that so I hit up autozone and bought some cheap seat covers....yes, seat covers :lol:

After listening to plenty Subaru's with that classic boxer rumble, I decided that I had to have that same rumble. I finally saved up enough money to buy a Tanable Hyper Medallion CB exhaust system. At the time, I was going to an automotive technical school for my sr. year in highschool so I brought the whip in and installed it myself...with most of the guys oooo-ing and ahhh-ing at its beauty. Even my instructor thought it was pretty cool.

Thennnnn my clutch went. So I bought a Stage III SPEC Clutch Kit (planning for a swap). Again I brought my car to the tech center where I experienced my first boxer engine pull :D. Everything went smooth, course it took a little while to figure things out.

So some time passed, and things were awesome :burnout:. But there was something missing. Soon I realized it was music lol. My factory HU wasn't cuttin it so I picked up a Panasonic HU with a motorized faceplate.

Now, this is where things started going a little down hill...(typical first car experience). Long story short, I totalled my car. I was driving along casually, on my way to work with a friend chit-chattin...just another normal day. WELL...the weather that wintery day wasn't...ideal... pretty much rained/snowed slush (MIX). I came to a paved, left-hand bend. Hit the apex and proceeded to plow, instead of turn, straight into a parked Chevy Blazer. BAM! T-BONED!:uKk: Called the cops, filed a report and limped my car home a few miles. To say the least, it put quite the dent in my wallet.

So after finishing up my senior year riding my mt. bike to school, I started working and saving up my money. I searched and searched and searched and then in Portland, Maine I finally found her.

1996 4DR 5MT Impreza L in Brilliant Red w/131k for a whopping $1100 SOLD

She had been driven off the road into a ditch. Front bumper was scratched and scuffed, passenger-side tow hook slightly bent back, and the header was kinked which melted the power steering boot. Other than the front bumper, the exterior was pristine. NO RUST what-so-ever. And the interior was just as nice, no rips, stains or scratches.

As we were driving over, I thought to myself, I wonder if I still remember how to drive stick. haha it's been a looong time. But I managed...even in the bumper-to-bumper traffic outside of Portland. Couple hundred miles, few wrong turns and four lobsters later, she was all mine sitting in my driveway.

Course I kept my 98 L as a parts car. I started by swapping the entire exhaust system over. Unfortunately, I ruined the best portion of my parts car, the front end so I was/am stuck with my scuffed up L bumper.

(TO BE CONTINUED)

Attachments

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The Mod List w/ Future Mods

The N/A Setup prior to the swap
----------------MOD LIST----------------
Exhaust/Intake:
- Replica Borla Headers
- Tanabe Super Medallion Hyper Spec Catback Exhaust
- 60mm Piping, 100mm Tip
- 3" Weapon R Short Ram Intake Tube
- 3" Weapon R MAF Adapter Plate
- 3" K&N Cone Filter
- Custom Intake Heat Shield
- Custom Intake Tube Brace

Drivetrain:
- ACT HD Clutch Kit
- Kartboy Short Shifter
- Rays Tamper-Proof Lug Nuts in Black, 23g each

Suspension/Chassis:
- SPT Front Strut Tower Bar
- eBay Rear Strut Tower Bar
- JDM Lightweight Front Bumper Beam
- JDM Lightweight Rear Bumper Beam

Brakes:
Stock :run:

Wheels & Tires:
- ADR Flite 5's in 17x7 @ +42 offset - GOLD
- Potenza RE92's @ 215/45R17 160 Treadwear [free] :D

- Kosei Sport Edition D5's 16x7 @ +50 offset SOLD w/ 96 L :(

- 05 WRX Wheels 16x6.5
- General Altimax Artics 205/55R16 [brand new, $337 for the set]

Interior:
- Panasonic Head Unit
- 03 WRX Front & Rear Seats
- Sparco Reflex Pedals

Exterior:
- Black Housing Turn Signals
- DIY Black Housing Head Lamps
- Shaved Trunk Emblems
- Spray Tinted Parking/Corner Lamps
- Highland Universal Mud Flaps in Black
- Rally Pig Sticker
- Koito Fog Lamp Bulbs

Future Mods:
- 02-03 WRX 20mm RSB w/ Alloy Endlinks
- Hi-Flow Cat Pipe
- Phenolic IM Spacers & TBS Combo
- Engine/Tranny/Diff Mounts
- 16 by 7 or 8" wheels
- 5% Window Tint
- Cam Regrind
- Version 6 Front Lip
- Osram +60 Head Lamp Bulbs

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
PRE DROP Pictures

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
POST DROP Pictures

OEM seats baby vvv

Junkyard Hunting vvv & my friend JHaas summoning the 280zx

slammed vvv

·
4 please, to go.
Ver 7 STi GC, elderly L
3,623 Posts
Drop looks good...not feeling the wheels though. What are the future plans?

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Winter Mode @ Fish Hill

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
First Boxer Engine Pull/Clutch Install

Not sure why or how we took off the header...

sorry bout the low quality pics...

·
Registered
01 stm sedan w/v4 sugar
3,499 Posts
Very cool man! You've got a nice build going on. After seeing the "Post Drop" pictures I really think you should get F1 mirrors! They would look awesome! I like the wheels too.

Please do not get sideskirts! I was also going to suggest the JDM rear bumper to give your car a lower profile that would add to your look. Also your tint choice is excellent. In the future I want to replace my front glass with new and un-tinted windows; I like the look.

You definitely have style with your car, so keep going with it! The interior looks clean too.

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the comments! I did think about replacing the mirrors but not with F1's, I'll have to look into that. I think I know which style you're talking about.

Glad you like the wheels too, a lot of people have bashed me on those. They reminded me of the newish split 5 WRX wheels. Now I just need brakes to fill 'em up.

No skirts, huh? haha. I do have rs sideskirts for her but I didn't want to put them on with the L bumper. Is that why you said not to get skirts? I was gonna put them on when I put my v5/6 bumper skin on.

Simon

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tanabe CB

The day it arrived VVV

Installed on my 98 L VVV

Installed on my 96 L VVV

·
Registered
01 stm sedan w/v4 sugar
3,499 Posts
No skirts, huh? haha. I do have rs sideskirts for her but I didn't want to put them on with the L bumper. Is that why you said not to get skirts? I was gonna put them on when I put my v5/6 bumper skin on.

Simon
Well, I was thinking without skirts because your car already looks pissed!

...And:

* The mud flaps are awesome.
* No rear spoiler looks totally legit.
* Your v.6 bumper is really going to clean things up.
* Staying without skirts will keep your car unique and really change things up for what most people are used to.

I honestly don't think you'd miss skirts too much when you throw that skin on. And your body looks to be in really good shape. Lots of L's are totally beat to shit on the sides. Maintain dude!

I'll PM you some pics! :stafiseiz

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
New-Used Potenza's

Pulled off my old worn out Nankangs NS-1's and wrapped up the ADR's with some free, I repeat, free 160 treadwear RE-92's with about 3/32nds of tread left. My friend snagged the 215/45 tires at his shop knowing I had 17's and asked me if I was interested. These tires are not only wider (205/40 to 215/45), but they are nearly R-Comps:banana:. Got them balanced and mounted after work today(new job btw, Burlington Mitsubishi:bump:) and the scoob feels INCREDIBLE! the commute home was like :eek:mg:

·
Registered
08 Legacy, 93 L w/ej20g
1,230 Posts
looking good man. your drop looks pretty good. i have the gf210s as well but my rear struts must be shot or its your gr2s that even it out because most people with the tanabes have ass sag but yours looks pretty even. good luck with the rest of the modding!

·
Registered
2000 EJ257 Swapped RS
548 Posts
I hate to be a naysayer but re92's are kinda shitty..... Dont get me wrong for free thats awesome. But in retrospect they are overpriced and very underachieving as far as tire standards go. They are just shitty in their category which is supposed to be high performance tires. But regardless thats sweet to get free tires. Looks good man keep it up.

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hate to be a naysayer but re92's are kinda shitty..... Dont get me wrong for free thats awesome. But in retrospect they are overpriced and very underachieving as far as tire standards go. They are just shitty in their category which is supposed to be high performance tires. But regardless thats sweet to get free tires. Looks good man keep it up.
oh believe me, i was skeptical when my friend called me up. the wider size , price and 160 treadwear is what got me. i knew they weren't anything special but my old tires were past worn out and i'd been running around on nokian wr's on steelies :( these potenza's are pretty much allowing me to save up for some tires i really want next spring. but nonetheless, they're still the stickiest tire i've ever driven on

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
some interesting facts about me from a thread --> http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86725

* never broken a bone (knock on wood)
* only met 4 of many relatives on my mom's side(most live in the phillipines still)
* graduated high school/started college at the age of 17
* survived being tossed out of the bed of a truck that rolled goin 45mph
* banged my principal and my baseball coaches daughters :D
* my high schools name was R.U. High (randolph union)
* my grandfather shot the New Hampshire state record whitetail (16pt 244lbs) a few years ago
* watched my neighbor stomp on a 10lb bag of flaming dog shit
* driven a GTi-R powered 200SX
* own an authentic Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. hat
* ridden an elephant
* stood at the highest point on the east coast, Mt. Washington
* I can wiggle my ears :)

·
4 please, to go.
Ver 7 STi GC, elderly L
3,623 Posts
that kicks ass.

definitely knock on wood about breaking bones, it sucks!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts