Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Magic Mobile
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my Silvervision bulbs in my JDM taillights over the weekend. :) These are the bulbs that look silver but blink orange. Now for some pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Magic Mobile
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got them from a fellow gc8 guy for $20 shipped. I'll try to get some more pics later. :) The specs are 12v, 21w. The base is BAU15,s.
The base of the bulbs are for foreign cars. So, they're a perfect fit for the JDM taillights if you have them. These are not a direct fit for the USDM because the 2 "nubs" are on opposite sides and these aren't. I read that you can sand one of them off and that'll work though.

You can buy them here:

http://www.autolamps-online.com/products/svcentre.htm

http://www.powerbulbs.com/svoffer.htm

·
Registered
2001 Magic Mobile
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nighttime pics, as requested. :) I don't notice any difference in brightness between these and the original orange ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
Wierd, but cool. $20 for a pair.... How do you like them? It seems to be more of an eye candy type of mod. I've never seen them. Quality and finish?

·
Registered
2001 Magic Mobile
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like them. :cool: I think they look much better under clear lenses than orange! I'm going to stick to these bulbs from now on. Too bad they don't make a bulb that's a direct fit for the USDM. Quality and finish? A bulb's a bulb. I dunno, looks good to me. :p

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you want to save the money you could just buy a can of silver spray paint and do a light coat. I've had mine like that for over a year now on the front signals and have had no problems and it looks the same as these bulbs

·
Registered
2001 Magic Mobile
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What kind of spraypaint did you use? That's what I tried to do originally but I oversprayed... It didn't work out. Not only that, when I tried them and put the blinkers on, the bulbs started smoking! :eek: Those things get pretty hot.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just Krylon. You have to spray just enough to cover up the orange. make sure the can is far enough away to just mist onto the bulb. Actually, if you look really close on mine you can see tiny dots of orange that got missed, but you gotta look pretty hard to see it though. At a glance its all silver.

·
Registered
123 Posts
it works on the same principal basically as the windshield in the stealth fighter, or on astronaut visors.
they're covered in gold, but it's so thin a layer that you can only see it reflecting off of one side, the outside, where the light has more place to scatter too, but from the inside the light is much more focused

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used Red ENGINE enamel... (good to 500+ deg.) on the clear tails on my truck. No smoking, no fading... works great.... Now that I think about it, I may try a light over spray in silver...

·
Audi Fondler
2000 Silverish 2.5rs Sedan
3,251 Posts
Very cool... hey Magic.. did you have to do any modifying to get those rear spats to fit on the stock rear bumper? Been meaning to order some but some sites say that I should get the v5 bumper that they were made for... any thoughts?

·
Registered
2001 Magic Mobile
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DragonRM, yea the v5 spats need work to fit on our rear bumpers. The curve is different. I just had a bodyshop do it but I've heard people used zipties. The best solution I've heard to make it fit perfectly is a heat gun to bend it into the right shape. I would try that. My spats don't look perfect like they would with the v5 bumper though. It's not that noticable, but up close it doesn't look so good. If you have the money I would go for a v5 bumper. That way the spats fit perfectly. The v5 bumper is also lower to the ground, matching the front and sides for the complete v5 look. :)

·
Registered
2001 Magic Mobile
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your welcome. :) I think you meant to say v6 front lip. The v5 had no lip.

·
Audi Fondler
2000 Silverish 2.5rs Sedan
3,251 Posts
you are correct ;) do you happen to have that mod or know anyone that does... just wondering if that required any work to get to fit... I don't think it does but was just clearing that up :D

·
Registered
410 Posts
BTW, back to the original topic, http://www.group5motorsport.com sells Philips Silvervision bulbs and they are in the US.

I posted a mixed review of them on iClub's Vendor review forum (and I'll post it on this board's review forum as well).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts