Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

141 - 160 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
You're MAP right? I'd just put one of those tiny cone filters on the PCV VALVE in the intake, and then run the hose like the tech said. I'm guessing your car will idle funny if it can't pull air in from the PCV valve, I know mine did.

I've got a 3 port catch can, one port has the valve cover breathers T'd together on it, another has the PCV from block, and the third goes to the intake pre turbo. Works like a charm.
Never really looked in to my PCV being an issue as I didn't think I was running very much boost but a catch can may be in my near future.

No problem. smiles per gallon...piston? are still net positive!

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
I was dicking around with the FWD fuse in, and it happened to rain after a bit of a dry spell. So you know what happened... it must have already been on its way out cause as soon as the tire broke traction it came to a banging halt. Broke the driver side front axle. Inside the boot I guess, it's all still intact, barely any grease/debris hit the ground. Had to remove the fuse to get it going. Only tell was the rattle from the front left, drove just fine the 7 miles home. There was some slippage occasionally, but then I remember I did the torque mada mod. Hadn't used it in an age and forgot how to connect it, some review of the sticky, and no more slippage, only rattle!

oh whoops, forgot to post. oh well. after I typed all that shit I checked out craigslist. and boom a 2004 sti 6 speed with all the bits. i'm gonna pick it up later today.

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Alright, so it didn't have ALL the bits. But all I really need is a R160 with matching ratio to run it. I misread the ad thinking the rear diff was included. He said he had a buyer for it tomorrow but if he flakes he said he'll let me know. No problem, I still think I got a decent deal on it considering. It wont go in to fifth gear but it's going to get a complete tear down and rebuild before going in the car. They list for $630 but I may see what I can get the 3.9 pinion/crown set for my R160 to keep a limited in the rear.

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Loads of money later, I have shipments inbound. Went ahead and bought a auto to manual dccd swap plug kit from iwire, holy shit, would buy from again. Every connector is individually bagged and labeled with what each connector goes to. Amazing guys, I love it!

I want to get the snazzy dccd controller that taps inline with the throttle signal for automatic control, but that'll have to be down the road as that's some coin I don't have right now. Depends on how annoying the rear bias is as to how quickly I grab one, we shall see!

I've gotten in pretty good with one of the master techs at work so he was helping me sort shit out with the transmission. Found it goes cleanly in to every gear every time, I was having some fun at work today slamming through the gears, haha. The seller and I were both going too far over so we were in the reverse leg... there's no up from there! Was able to cut the drive shaft off without touching the output shaft. Whoever owned this before musta been gitten some with extra grippy tires as it seems the driveshaft spun hard on the output shaft causing it to seize. Tomorrow I'll be going in to take the tail section off and figure out what needs to be replaced. Since it goes in to all gears, and I heard it's a REAL pain in the ass to rebuild the 04/05 STi trans, I'm just gonna run it.

Last but not least, I am going to accept that the injector timing for the stock injectors is 0.70ms. My trims are +2 at 35 and 60 cruise speeds, and fiddling with the injector size is dialing in the idle trim. It's never transitioned to boost as smoothly as it has been for the last two or three weeks. Maybe not pressurizing the block as helped... Boost is no longer a slap in the face and hang on, it's smooth and predictable. Also no longer smells like a small block chevy with a four barrel.

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Pedal box I ordered came with sensors. But when I got the box it sounded like he sent me a box of legos. All three sensors got exploded in transit. Seller said he was sending me replacements. Maybe just ONE more little foam packing thing would have saved them, I told the seller it was a shit packaging job.

Shots are kinda close as these are my "this is where all the shit goes" pictures.

Here you can see where we cut the drive shaft off and found the splines twisted. Carnage!

Had to straddle it somewhere to drain the oil... I thought this was good enough.

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #158 (Edited)
Running a harness overlay in an attempt to solve my persistent P0136 DTC, I let the smoke out of my headlight switch. Finding ECU pinouts on northusurlia confirmed that the pin the FSM told me was the power wire, was in fact the combiswitch. Very annoying.

I'm going to keep an eye out for something to swap this shit in to and dump the car I have now.

Edit: yeah, that isn't anywhere as easy as I thought it was going to be. Guess I fix the shit I have. wiring is a nightmare.

·
Registered
'96 OBS
235 Posts
Yes, yes it is. At least the FSM for our car is better than some of the older Toyota TSRMs (think 80s). We actually have real ECU pinouts and ground distribution diagrams and stuff.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
473 Posts
^OR the old BMW schematics....:crazy:

What do you mean by 'let the smoke out of your headlight'? I'll have to read back.

Edit: just had to re-read that post to figure out the meaning. Did you find the correct diagrams then?

141 - 160 of 211 Posts