Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

101 - 120 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
This morning I had a local exhaust shop take care of the little length discrepancy. The pipe is a bit too small though, I wonder if there is something aftermarket that will bolt in? It's a Perrin down pipe to a Prodrive axle back.. suggestions? I think I know of a performance shop that might be able to make a one off, an off the shelf solution would be ideal though.

After it got quiet I put it on a rack at work to give it a once over, I honestly haven't done anything to it maintenance wise other than motors for the last three or so years. It needs suspension, brakes, and tires... surprise! Both rear struts have let their smoke out and have made quite the mess. Front brakes are down to 3mil with the rears at 4, so it's not dire, but soon. Front tires are little chewed up from never being rotated and they are down to 4/32 with the rears at 6/32..

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
470 Posts

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I'm actually not sure how long a stock down pipe is in comparison. I would expect a Perrin unit to be a bolt in replacement. I was using a, as far as i know, jdm down pipe, that was just a tad too short so it needed an extension to connect to my factory mid pipe. It's likely just a matter of the US turbo cat back being shorter than an NA one.

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
A few months ago at work I noticed there was an ECM update for the 2001 impreza. Update reads "P0031 P0130 P1133 Back fire P1445 P0065 Pinging After burn P0172 Hesitation P1443 P0172 P0065" So... my car has ALWAYS had a hesitation, so much more pronounced now that it's boosted. Since it's of such... vintage, the current DST-i box we use doesn't have a clue. Had to ask around and I got to experience "the green brick". That's the SSM 3 standalone diagnostics..computer? It's weird. It worked though! I was able to find that my car was not up to date. It didn't take long to figure out that this thing wasn't going to allow me to flash the ECM, but that's when the senior tech that was helping me remembered the other SSM3 box. The one that interfaces with a laptop. No one knew what to do with it though. So I spent some time digging through STIS and searched every category I could for my vin to find out how to do this procedure. I found some really cool shit that I'll post later but unfortunately nothing about how to do the reprogramming. Today was extra slow so I started messing with it again, and I figured out how to make it work, and I flashed my factory ECM! It was kind of scary cause if any thing went wrong during the flash it would have bricked my ECM.

So any way, sorry for the story, but I hope you enjoyed the read!

The car feels great now, the hesitation as far as I could tell on my way home is gone, the car is buttery smooth. Also, had a coolant leak on my way home. Helps to tighten the clamps on the turbo coolant fittings...

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #105 (Edited)
Got a key based on VIN, I thought maybe my car had new locks installed comparing them. It didn't.

Updating the ECM. Slightly unnerving, Don't. Touch. Anything!

I only had one to play with, and it was damaged so that's why it's flat. But I think I like it. Speedometer would only be off by .83% comparing the 225/40R18 to the 205/55R16.

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Replaced my trunk seal last night and cleaned out the channel. Think water is still able to get in through the tail lights, may have to buy a new jdm set sooner than later.

The OEM wheels are so much lighter too, probably only 5lb difference, but I could play with a winter/summer set up. I want new wheels though as the previous owners weren't too nice with these ones. AFAIK these wheels are still available new from subaru, so maybe.. but it's the last thing on my restoration schedule.

I need new suspension, I can't handle the pogo stick. I think I've settled on getting the ISC N1's with front camber plates, but I don't really plan to go any lower than I already am as I like to keep it functional, do I really need camber plates? Should I get them as a "nice to have"? The car currently has the Tein Street Flex Z's but the rears are wrecked, so the suspension needs to happen sooner than later. I almost hit the buy button but it being christmas and likely not to see any packages hit my door for a couple weeks I had to close the browser.

Brakes are a variable in that timeline, since I'm going to do the 4/2 pot 06 wrx setup I'm going to run what I have to metal. Found I can do it with all OE parts for around $700 an end, I figure why not for what's basically a big brake kit.

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Got the suspension replaced. Another used set but for what they were the price was right. I picked up some GPSports G-Master's from a local member. I think this is the first set of good suspension the car has had since I bought it! No weird noises or bounces, but goodness... roads are hammered around here. Part of my commute is on the Seattle Viaduct and as much as I'll hate the toll I'm looking forward to that tunnel now, lmao! He used them for drifting and I haven't messed with the dampening yet so I'm sure there is a ton of room for improvement.

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
These found their way in to my trunk... slight curb rash but it's fewer that I have to buy new! Also pressure washed the Tein stuff so it's shiny and green again. It was so cruddy nasty, no idea how long the rear dampers were letting their oil out but it was definitely all of it.

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Got a new windshield installed Thursday. Installers and I were about 95% certain it still had its OE glass. 260k miles and a road map of the northwest cracked through it... clear glass is....clear. Oddly enough the car interior rattles less. Also he got my driver wiper one notch off so it cuts short on the wipe, i know that's easy to fix though!

I had wanted to replace my side skirt pieces with new ones. I had found part numbers here for my parts guy to look up. I was amazed at how cheap they were, but then it made sense when only the rubber protector strips showed up. But with those numbers he was able to find the actual side skirt pieces. For the four door only one piece on each side is currently available. the front of one, and the rear piece of the other side. So I had him order new attachment clips instead. The passenger front skirt on my car has been sagging since I got it. I'm likely to tackle that project today.

As I am trying to fix more things on this car the damage to the passenger side prior to my ownership is showing through more and more. The repaint was absolute garbage and it's started to lose its shine. flaking off in many places all around the car. the whole passenger side is rippled, not much but enough to catch it in the reflection of bright light.

Found a considerable oil leak coming off the back of the motor, presumably the AOS plate. Not sure how to approach that as I paid $600 for an oil leaker that I've put about 1500 miles on. Did the first oil change yesterday and took a sample to send to Blackstone. No weird noises out of the motor, I've gotten it in to boost a couple times. It's pretty strong! Still trying to find the magical latency numbers for the emange. There's three or four sets of fuel trims that need to be worked out. it cycles between them every 4-5 minutes. There's a few different settings that get me close to 0 at idle and cruise, but if you wait long enough it cycles to +10 at idle, and -10 at cruise. Fuel mileage is doing okay.

OH! I need a map sensor. A new one from Subaru at my cost is $200. Checking my codes yesterday with the SSM3 I have a "45 Pressure Sensor" code from the TCM. Clearing the codes and key on brings it back immediately. This makes me fairly certain that when I wired in the SplitSec clamp i dicked up. lmao, whoops.

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
I thought it was weird the TCM would be complaining about the map sensor but the ECM wasn't. Turns out there is a TSB for all 99-02 models and it requires TCM replacement. Applies to a persistent code 45 and harsh awd engagement, I've got both! Of course there are none of the tsb part number available. I don't have a warning light on the dash, only reason I knew was checking through ssm3.

Got my skirts off Sunday. Confirmed that majority of the clips were broken on the passenger side causing the sag. Good news is that all of the clips are still available through Subaru. The plastic bobs that the screws go in to on the bottom side were even in stock! Had to order the screws though, lol.

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
I know the eManage Ultimate is as close to a standalone as you can get, but damn is it annoying. I did find tuning advice on a Mitsubishi forum that I should post here for posterity, might help some people here down the road. I think I have the injector scaling super close, the car has been driving normal for a few days now with occasional partial throttle accel that nets me 1-2 psi, and she's a happy little freight train. Took a coworker for a ride who recently bought a new wrx. WOT pull through 1st and 2nd with no lift. he said "well, i'm awake now!" Boost settled right at 7psi.

I did find a bug in the software, I have no idea if it only affects mine but the emanage software has a trace option where it will show you where it is operating at in any of the maps you're looking at. Well... it wasn't tracing on the Ignition Map #1! I can't confirm if it was actually pulling timing or not, but switching to Ign Map #2 shows a proper trace. Could be why I was popping motors at 10+psi. Lets do 13psi with all the timing!

Got the skirts reinstalled! It's nice seeing the passenger side not sag. I used fender washers on all but the rear bottom screw bolt, there wasn't enough room for one. They're on there nice and tight!

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Did a compression test on my motor today, they're fairly low but all close it was also very cold. low of 100 and a high of 115. noticed the plugs on the 1/3 side were wet and smelled of fuel. That confirmed in my mind that the coil pack was affected by the emanage running 4 channel ignition, so replaced that. Had the factory injectors cleaned by DrInjector, their datasheet reads weird. Injector flow rate was measured in ml, which I found is basically cc... BUT... I know they aren't 76 cc injectors. Installed those tonight. Holding vacuum AFR's better but I definitely need to find my air assist hoses.

101 - 120 of 211 Posts