Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

81 - 100 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
It really has paid off to work at Subaru!

New OE Sti pistons for $58/ea. I know I should go after market forged but with how volatile my set up is, I can't imagine it would be worth it. Got the matching ring set as well. Interesting thing to note, subaru does not offer main/rod bearings any larger than .25. they have .03, .05, and .25. Another interesting thing to note, the 253, 255, and 257 all share the same mains and rod bearings.

So anyhow, this motor will also sport ACL Race bearings. Hoping to have it turn key by the new year like I was almost able to do last year.

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
You'll have to look it up on urban dictionary George, haha! I'm too light of a sleeper, won't work!

Got sent for some training and was given an '18 Impreza Sport for the trip. I was heavily thinking about getting a Forester Sport for myself as well, buutttt... this thing got 37mpg. The Forester's best so far has been 26. I'm not a fan of the hatch, I'd get a sedan. in silver of course!

I think the shop lost my number as they haven't called me about any thing, I've had to stop in. Nice thing is that it is just around the corner from my shop. I'm hoping when I stop in on Monday that I'll be able to take a block home. If that's the case I should be right on schedule for a new years start!

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I know when I bought that reman from a local'ish shop they were quite interested when I told them I had two other turbo cases at home.. you might be on to something...

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I finally got the block. I should get better at this efficiency thing but oh well. I'll clean the heads and put in my engine assembly gasket order tomorrow. Sunday I plan to split the turbo to give it a thorough cleaning and put an O2 bung in the Perrin downpipe that will be going in this time. Progress!

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Put the bung further down the pipe for better readings, not on top like most.
The downpipe I have been using, that's exactly where I put it. about six inches down stream from the turbo outlet. I did that at a recommendation of something I read on nasioc, and then after the fact did more reading... LOL. Oh well.

Have a handy picture guide for placement? I don't want to test fit the down pipe to determine sensor location; it's too dang cold!

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
For now I put it in the same place, I haven't had any problems with it yet, and I can move it later after the car is running. been doing what I can with what little time i've had. i have heads bolted to the rebuilt block. the blown motor came out tonight. tomorrow will involve some parts swapping to the new block and a little bit of engine bay clean up. Should have something to put back in the engine bay tomorrow night.

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
New motor is in, it was about midnight last night when I finally threw in the towel. It's driving today! All that's left is down pipe, radiator, intercooler, and filling it with fluids.

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
You know what I meant! The Perrin down pipe is much much longer than the jdm pipe i was using. I'll have to get my catback cut short by about a foot!

But, bigger fish... somehow i dicked up the timing and don't have compression on cylinder 2. I threw in the towel at that point and didn't check any of the others.

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
I've been with out a cell phone for about a week. Being off the grid is nice. I took yesterday off from the car as a personal health day. But, the car is at my brothers house and I had left him a "No compression" note. So he tinkered.

Longer story short, I'm a lucky sonuvadog. driver side cam had some how gotten three to four teeth counter clockwise off the mark. No idea how as I remember checking and double checking it. Runs like a champ, had to button up some coolant leaks from worn out rubber plugs.

It's ungodly loud.

81 - 100 of 211 Posts