Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a really weird looking car saturday night. Got a closer look and it was a ford ka with mexico plates. Sighted in whittier, CA.
I heard they are really nice little cars.

H

·
0 Posts
I saw a Dodge Ramcharger in Seattle with Mexico plates last year. So what you say? It was circa 1994=2001. Up until that moment I had no idea they were still making the Ramcharger. It's not offered in the US because Dodge didn't want to bother making it pass safety requirements. How messed up is that!

·
Registered
05 LGT limited
405 Posts
According to some Chrysler engineers I asked, they couldn't meet production volumes for the Ramcharger if it was sold here, they couldn't afford to build another plant to increase production, it would severely hurt their CAFE, the large SUV market is glutted, etc... if you keep an eye on current trends, I think the truck market has peaked, and will start to downslide soon. Probably a smart move not to sell it here.

H

·
0 Posts
yamarocket630 said:
According to some Chrysler engineers I asked, they couldn't meet production volumes for the Ramcharger if it was sold here, they couldn't afford to build another plant to increase production, it would severely hurt their CAFE, the large SUV market is glutted, etc... if you keep an eye on current trends, I think the truck market has peaked, and will start to downslide soon. Probably a smart move not to sell it here.
OK I'll give you that it would hurt their CAFE.. but the market being saturated? No way. This design has been around since '94 when the Ram was redesigned... Expedition, Navigator, Escalade, Excursion, Sequioa, Highlander, Freelander, Escape/Tribute, Liberty, Xterra, and a host of others are ALL new since then. Not to mention the glut of remodels that resulted in new names (re: Jimmy/Envoy or Jimmy/Yukon).
Plus... the Ramcharger had a loyal following. Still does. If they had not discontinued it, it would still have sold strong.

I can believe the factory capacity issue. The old Rams didn't sell all that well, and the new ones sell like champs. But, uh, Bueller, they're already making them in Mexico. :)

Hopefully you're right about a predicted downturn in SUV popularity.

H

·
0 Posts
Well obviously Pure truck popularity has dropped... as the pure SUV trend has. Now we're getting hybrid vehicles, like the stupid Subaru Baja. Or the Avalanche. Or any of the other "I don't know what to buy" cars. I say get a car, and if you need to haul stuff on occassion, rent a pickup, or if it's semi-frequently, buy an old truck. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts