Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is just my car or the same with everyone's old car...

Anytime I shut any of my doors it sounds like someone closing a door on a 70's or 80's car door. Is there a simple solution to this?

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The wonders of frameless windows.... :)
Haha.. yeahhh...

I know there is no way these doors sounded like this new. Plus, I bought my SRT-4 new (previous car) and I kinda miss those new car things (new car smell, no dents, door not sounding like garbage when closing... lol)

·
Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
4,494 Posts
what i did.

you know that thing that the door latch hold onto. loosen the 2 big screws and move it back more.

so the door has to close a hair more to catch it. it wont sound as solid or w/e.

yes the door will close fine, just dont move it up or down to much.

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
my doors sounds like crap when the windows are down but when they're up, they sound like a typical frameless door closing.

maybe your window actuator/crank system is coming loose. my front driver-side door did that and it really sounded bad... all the bolts but one screwed themselves out

my 2 cents...

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what i did.

you know that thing that the door latch hold onto. loosen the 2 big screws and move it back more.

so the door has to close a hair more to catch it. it wont sound as solid or w/e.

yes the door will close fine, just dont move it up or down to much.
my doors sounds like crap when the windows are down but when they're up, they sound like a typical frameless door closing.

maybe your window actuator/crank system is coming loose. my front driver-side door did that and it really sounded bad... all the bolts but one screwed themselves out

my 2 cents...
Thanks guys, I'll try that.

Take the door cards off and apply dynamat/ raamat etc. etc. for a nice solid sound.
Yeah um, that is more weight in my car. I'm not doing that... thanks for the suggestion tho!

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
3,239 Posts
if something's klunking, all you can do is start fiddling until it goes away.

take it apart, understand how it works, diagnose problem, rig up solution, reassemble

be prepared to assemble and disassemble the door a dozen times.

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

welcome to my world

-----

kinda sounds like your felt pads are worn, or misaligned

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
1,788 Posts
Yeah um, that is more weight in my car. I'm not doing that... thanks for the suggestion tho!
I should have figured I'd get that response :p. While it obviously seems unfavorable to add weight to a car, I don't think having a little bit of dynamat on the doors will affect that much. As far as speed goes, roughly 100lb= .10 on the 1/4 times... and as far as handling is conconcerned I'm sure it wouldn't be enough to notice anything because a little weight would be on both sides not front or back.

Do I have it on my doors though? No of course not. I'd rather not spend the money and live with my cheap sounding doors, but you may actually have a rattle outside of the usual frameless door sound...who knows :). Just thought I'd offer it anyways because I put some on my trunk lid and it did a nice job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts