Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I think the most obvious answer would be the focus vehicle in that thread. The GDA is porkier than the GC models, and the amount of professional racers running the GDA vs GC models is pretty biased to the GDA. Wouldn't you agree?

I'm sure they would gladly come here to post if we asked them questions and requested them to post answers or opinion here specifically. Maybe an invatation to a scheduled chat session could be arranged?

Simply having the link to that thread is good enough for me though. Very informative.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
There are quite a few "pros" on board here, although they tend to lay low. I am hoping to change things in the next few months by offering them "sponsored" forums.

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Wow that is a good thread.

Well, if there's sponsored forums, then yes we're likely to get more "pro" opinions. That would be cool.

The brake discussion was good, but I disagree with the braided brake line thing. Nobody seemed to step up and say that THOSE are mostly for looks...

..Okay I'm not going to get into it, here. :D

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
there are plenty of people here who know their shit. just read some posts and it becomes apparent rather quickly who is talking out of their ass and who knows what's really going on. Especially if you read a thread about things you already know well. you can see who's "on the trolley" and who's not ;)

·
Registered
796 Posts
Brakes are one of the things I have been doing a lot of research on lately.

I have learned a lot during that time, and have even considered offering some custom built brake kits through DNT. I have become a dealer for a very high end Brake company in the UK, but the prices are around the same price as Brembo, so I don't think there will be much call for them.

Stainless lines for most people are cosmetic, and if you ask them, they could not begin to tell you the difference in how the car feels. Many would probably tell you that stainless lines decreased their stopping distance. Stainless lines are used to improve pedal feel through reduced flexing of the brake lines, and to help prevent brake fade by insulating the brake fluid better to prevent boiling.

It is my opinion that some of the brake kits offered for the GDA would be overkill (if there is such a thing when talking brakes) when used with the GC/GM/GF chassis. The big reason for this is the weight of the car. Even Gary Sheehan's WRX which has been stripped of a great deal of weight, is probably 200 lbs more than a stock 2.5 RS.

I recall someone calling Wilwood and asking about the use of the Dynalite calipers with the WRX. Wilwood said that with a car that large the Superlite 6 piston caliper should be used. However, with a car in between 2700 and 2900 lbs, Wilwood does recommend the Dynalites. So the Perrin kits should work very well with the older chassis cars.

I do agree that the rear brakes do not need to be upgraded for most circumstances. I do plan on upgrading mine slightly, but probably not to the Outback H6 rotors like so many are doing. I think that I will probably upgrade to a two piston Wilwood caliper for use on a vented rear rotor, like the one that the Turbo legacy used.

Of course, the biggest error in thinking of brakes in performance applications can best be summed up by a statement made by Mario Andretti many years ago. He said that brakes are not for stopping, they are for control.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts