Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
1. that is normal.
2. of course it's gonna move with not a damn thing connected to it.
3. popping out of gear when you push the clutch is not related to the engine not being attached.

i'm honestly...baffled that this was even asked.

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
:lol: > :unamused: > :facepalm: > :bonk:

·
Registered
R56 Cooper S
1,046 Posts
Without the motor in the car? Maybe this is why the car jumps out of gear as I clutch in sometimes..

Seems way more then it should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt_1q7GIBI0
I'm not sure about the jumping out of gear thing, but that amount of transmission movement looks fine with me. The transmission mount doesn't keep the tranny totally rigid, and does allow for quite a bit of flex and movement, especially if it's of the stock non-upgraded variety.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ thanks the transmission mounts have like 260K on them so I was not really sure, and of course I know the engine is another part of keeping the transmission from moving around but I mean who really moves the transmission with the engine out of the car?

·
Registered
R56 Cooper S
1,046 Posts
Well, since you have kind of a bit of room in there, check out your transmission mount and see if it's broken. Just make sure the top part bolted to the trans is still attached to the bottom part bolted to the cradle.

If you really want to minimize the movement, get yourself some Group-N mounts. Way stiffer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts