Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
(860)
2001 2.5RSTi Coupe
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so pull up to this ridiculous hill, stop, wait for traffic, and when i pull out to get onto the road i hear *CRUNCH!!!*, im like WTF?! i drive forward to find someplace to pull over. look under the car, everything looks fine. i turn around to go home, crunch crunch crunch!!!!, WTF?! i drive straight, its fine....hmmm, my rear diff is fucked. i get home take it out, take off the cover and surely, a few teeth from the spider gears are sitting at the bottom in pieces.

now, i cant be without a vehicle, and i dont know how long its gonna take to get a new diff. so.....how horrible would it be to weld the gears and have a locked diff? would it fuck up the front diff in anyway? has anyone heard of anyone ever doing this before? i mean, its already fucked up, is it worth a try? what do you guys think?

·
(860)
2001 2.5RSTi Coupe
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
additional note: i dont want to do this permanently, only until i receive a new diff....i just want to make sure it wont mess up the front at all.....

ive read about people welding their diffs when they want to go RWD, but that would include welding the center diff, i just wanna weld the rear.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
PM me....I have an open rear diff you can stick in there to get you back up and running without much work.....cheap!

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
Shouldn't hurt the front diff any, all welding the rear will do is make it so it can't transfer power side to side, it will be more like a solid rear axle. It will make tight turns kind of weird, as the wheels will want to turn at different speeds, and they can't, but that shouldn't do anything to the front or center diff.

·
Registered
2000 BRP Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
470 Posts
the inside rear tire will still spin and chirp and whatnot, basically wheelhop until your going straight again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts