Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
DemodderedOGmoss
05 LGT, 06 WRX wag, ZX6R
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still running the stock plugs and wires, think an upgrade is needed? Is it worth it? :)

Keith

·
Registered
300 Posts
You should change your Crapion plugs ASAP! i got magnacore wires and are happy with them

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yup, go blow a wad on Magnecore's when you don't know if you need them.

Same questions, what year, what mileage, what kind of driving, what kind of wires on there now, last time plugs or wires were changed.

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
As per his profile he as a 2001 Sedona red impreza. New the RS comes with champion plugs. Personally I don't like Champion so I changed mine to NGK as soon as I found that out. I use the std copper NGK's not plats and change my plugs out yearly. If you don't want to change out plugs as often put in plats. As far as the wires, there is no real reason to change them out. You will not get any better performance from wires (or the plugs if they aren't bad). Having said that I put some Magnecor wires in my car more for PM than anything else. I got them for a good price and they have a lifetime warrantee.

Here is a how to to change plugs if you are interested:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=166

·
DemodderedOGmoss
05 LGT, 06 WRX wag, ZX6R
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm.. ok so the answers are... 2001 (as Peaty mentioned), 24k miles, I tend to do much hard driving, I push the car, and the plugs are stock (champions), and as far as I know haven't been changed.

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
The least you should do is change the plugs. You can get wires if it will make you happy (if nothing else they look spiffy), but get rid of the champions.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have the ngk coppers also. I would also reccomend them. I have not changed the wires yet, but the plugs did make a small noticeable difference. Idle was much smoother.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I went to Bosch Platinum Plus for my OBS. Couldn't even read the name of what was in there before. None of them was in good shape, so they were probably originals, car had about 45 k on it when I bought it.

Not only that, but I was told that the NGK suggested prices was about $27 a set, but that they'd need to be special ordered from an outside vendor and would cost more than that

Now I'm looking to change plugs on a 99 SUS I just bought so I will go with NGK's but I'll go with Platinums. and let you know if there's any difference. It's got about 53 k on it.

Ron

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would have to tell you not to use Bosch plugs in your RS though, I put em in my 01 and took them out 3 months later in favor of the NGK V-Powers plugs. They're a lot smoother. Plus they're cheap too. But the bosch platinum 4's don't fire right with the boxer engine, I hated them.

·
Registered
2000 BRP
144 Posts
curious to where you guys get these NGK's. I can't get em at a the local pepboys or autozone, and don't wanna get jacked at the speed shops. So in defeat, I run nippon denso's, which work fine in my mr2t. But i've always wanted to try the NGK's.

·
Registered
169 Posts
same deal. Went to the locals, Pep Boys doesn't carry NGK's for ANY Subaru AT ALL. Went to the Bosch Platinum 4's. let's see how they work.

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
jersey judge said:
same deal. Went to the locals, Pep Boys doesn't carry NGK's for ANY Subaru AT ALL. Went to the Bosch Platinum 4's. let's see how they work.
My local Advanced Auto had the NGK's. I put the +4's in my wife's 97 Outback. Had them in for 45K. No problems with them. They were OK nothing special. I took them out just before I traded it and they looked fine. It was obvious though that some of the electrodes were favored over others. I put the single plats in as a replacement. No real difference as far as I could tell.

·
Registered
21 Posts
pwrup25RS said:
curious to where you guys get these NGK's. I can't get em at a the local pepboys or autozone, and don't wanna get jacked at the speed shops. So in defeat, I run nippon denso's, which work fine in my mr2t. But i've always wanted to try the NGK's.
www.summitracing.com

That's where I got mine. I ordered...12 plugs. Should last me a while. :happynow:

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
You aren't going to get HP from plugs. Or if it's possible that you can, you won't get no stinkin' 7-10. :)

NAPA carries NGK, that's where I got mine. Look in your owner's manual, it gives you the model number to look for. Gives you a number for NGK plugs, and a number for Champion plugs. Buy NGK.

And the copper plugs (cheaper than platinum), though they need to be changed more often, give a better spark than platinum does. So the performance guys, we like that.

-S2-

1 - 20 of 21 Posts