Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5rs.
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 1999 2.5rs. It has (forgive me if I get some specs wrong, I am somewhat new to Subaru engines) a 2.5 litre engine. Would boosting that engine not yield more power than swaping for a 2.0 litre WRX engine? I am leaning towards boosting because I am not really setup to remove and engine and replace it! Plus Ive never done that before!

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Adding a turbo would yield like 50hp, if tuned right that might last you a while with stock internals.

An engine swap would yield about 100hp and be as reliable as that engine is in its factory body. Engine swap HP per dollar is cheaper.

·
Registered
opendeck251+stiInternals
483 Posts
To set your current motor up for boost you *should* put in new pistons. 10:1 compression ratio is a little high for boost, IMO, but people do it.

There is an engine swap FAQ and a host of other threads centered around this very idea, and is very well documented.

If you plan on modifying your car's engine, an engine stand and some sort of device to lift an engine out of the engine bay are 2 worthwhile investments.

~Josh~

·
Registered
99 rustbox
1,042 Posts
i think adding a turbo would be much more difficult for a person with not so much mechanical skill. Myself included in that bunch of down-syndrome crew ;). engine swap would be more logical...

it is a 2.5L it says it IN THE NAME

·
Premium Member
05 RS
2,596 Posts
if you turbo your motor you will be at swapped hp, just look at everyone that has done it

the good thing about swaps is you have more room for hp, and you dont need engine management

also dont listen to people that say turboing a na motor is a waste, you just have to prep the motor and you will be good, theres a post here where a guy made over 400hp on a ej25d lol

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS-T srp sedan
2,732 Posts
yea all depends on what you want.

I boosted mine myself to learn about my motor, I didn't do any internals just wiring and turbo parts.

Fun as hell with high compression but didn't last long at 5 psi. Headgaskets couldn't take it anymore.

SO i Droped a sti block in and just added all my sohc exisiting parts. But this will also have certain HP limits as my heads won't flow to much air if I raise the HP levels. Still good for around 350 whp i should think.

That's why Swaps are good. Get all the parts ready to go and like others say you can easily add more power with and engine ready to handle it.

I would hate to see you spend money on turbo'n yr stock engine and then it blows and you end up going to a swap anyways.

Think it out, see what suits you right now and money wise down the road.

Have fun with it!

·
Registered
'99 BDP Impreza RS
1,270 Posts
I know people have added turbo kits and have had success, but if you're new to Subaru's or even cars in general, a swap is the much better choice. You won't have to worry about internals until you turn up the boost or hit higher horsepower numbers. Plus you can prep the engine and wiring in your garage/shop/kitchen while still being able to drive the car. Then if everything goes perfectly, you can swap the engine in a single weekend...not that anything like that ever goes perfectly. :lol:

So yeah, +1 on a swap. :)

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon/Legacy
6 Posts
I'm not the expert here either, but pulling a motor out of a N/A subaru isn't too darn hard. I was quite surprised.....getting it back in, well obviously harder.

If you can't manage it, I'd not attempt a turbo conversion/bolt on either.

Keep an eye on the real costs if you get ready to do this and work out all the details. I'd make certain to do a full timing kit/pump set while the motor is out, possibly even consider doing head gaskets( I know turbo motors seem to have far less issues, maybe not a concern, I'd look into it). I'd check on motor mounts too, going up from a n/a soch to a turbo motor new mounts would likely be a good investment as well. Best of luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.