Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Should I drive this 26 year-old GF8 for 400km right after buying it?

• Don't do it! You'll just start your project with a big headache.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I am a new member to the forum and I'll be heading out to Rio de Janeiro (I live in São Paulo) to check out this beauty this Saturday:

The car looks solid and I really like the fact that it's a 1.8 stock car. It looks like a solid base for a long-term project.

I already read the buyer's guide and am in conversations with the current owner. Still, I'm definitely open for more suggestions and, especially, answers to the most critical question going through my head right now: How stupid is the idea of coming back from Rio driving it? It's something like a 400km trip, with some uphill stretches.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1998 JDM Impreza STi v4 GF8
58 Posts
Would this 400 km drive be through the middle of nowhere, or would there be help available nearby should the necessity arise?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would this 400 km drive be through the middle of nowhere, or would there be help available nearby should the necessity arise?
It's highway with heavy traffic connecting the two biggest cities in Brazil, but it's not all civilized, some areas are kind of "in the middle of nowhere"

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
731 Posts
Only do it if you can afford the towing cost

Reactions: fepiera

·
Registered
58 Posts
Most of us here in North America probably have no idea what it might be like to break down on a highway in Brazil. Would you be in danger of being robbed (or worse)... or would someone stop to lend a hand?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most of us here in North America probably have no idea what it might be like to break down on a highway in Brazil. Would you be in danger of being robbed (or worse)... or would someone stop to lend a hand?
I understand and that makes sense. There are indeed some dangerous areas along the way. I think I will try to convince someone to drive down in another car from there with me. That way, if something happens, we can get on the other car and get help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
what would be wrong with it? it appears to be in excellent shape. I've drove worse (appearing, neglected)cars further with no issues

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what would be wrong with it? it appears to be in excellent shape. I've drove worse (appearing, neglected)cars further with no issues
That's good to know. I guess I'm just anxious about doing it. Let's hope everything goes well. I'll update here once I get back with it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
what would be wrong with it?
Are you serious? :oops: There are entire forums (including this one) dedicated to sorting out car problems.

It's one thing to drive a car 400 km if you're somewhat familiar with it... but to drive a car, a 26 year old car(!), a car you have zero experience with, 400 km the first time you get behind its wheel... is risky to say the least.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are you serious? :oops: There are entire forums (including this one) dedicated to sorting out car problems.

It's one thing to drive a car 400 km if you're somewhat familiar with it... but to drive a car, a 26 year old car(!), a car you have zero experience with, 400 km the first time you get behind its wheel... is risky to say the least.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.
less than 50k miles, appears to have been cared for, and from a dealer? Idk man, seems fine to me but you're probably more qualified to make that call than I am. (my apologies if I came off ignorant in the first post)

·
Registered
58 Posts
...but you're probably more qualified to make that call than I am
I don't know if I'm more "qualified"... but with 50 years worth of driving, I've possibly been exposed to a lot more used cars (in all sorts of condition) than you might've been. There's nothing special about a used car being sold by a dealer. Could still be a fine looking... lemon. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for the replies... I convinced my father to drive down from Rio with me. So, hopefully, it all goes well, but in case anything doesn't, I have some support.
I'll let you guys know how it went.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys!
I'm back from Rio, but, unfortunately, with no car.
The GF8 was in TERRIBLE shape:
  • rotten roof
  • bondo all over
  • cracked paint everywhere
  • misaligned panels and doors
  • bent fame on the front
  • cracked headlights
  • and on and on..

I can't even understand how the seller was able to take the pictures in the ad... The cast looked bad from 100 feet.

The search continues for my GF8!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey guys!
I'm back from Rio, but, unfortunately, with no car.
The GF8 was in TERRIBLE shape:
  • rotten roof
  • bondo all over
  • cracked paint everywhere
  • misaligned panels and doors
  • bent fame on the front
  • cracked headlights
  • and on and on..

I can't even understand how the seller was able to take the pictures in the ad... The cast looked bad from 100 feet.

The search continues for my GF8!
Sorry the hear that, but luckily you got out of it relatively unscathed. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry the hear that, but luckily you got out of it relatively unscathed. Good luck!
Definitely! I even considered just hiring a tow truck to bring the car to São Paulo, since it looked so good in the pictures... I can't imagine what I would have done if I received this car at home after paying for it.
Lesson learned, even if it seems obvious:
No matter how good a 26 year old car looks in the ad, you have to see it in person...😅

·
Registered
00 RS cpe, 01 RS cpe, 05 3.0 R
128 Posts
Definitely! I even considered just hiring a tow truck to bring the car to São Paulo, since it looked so good in the pictures... I can't imagine what I would have done if I received this car at home after paying for it.
No matter how good a 26 year old car looks in the ad, you have to see it in person...😅
Keep patient, a better one will come along , you`ll be glad this one didn`t turn well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I even considered just hiring a tow truck to bring the car to São Paulo, since it looked so good in the pictures... I can't imagine what I would have done if I received this car at home after paying for it.
No matter how good a 26 year old car looks in the ad, you have to see it in person...
It's somewhat of a crude term... but now you know what is referred to in the used car market as a "polished turd". :poop:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts