Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP Coupe
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have NEVER seen one of these before and I am almost finished rebuilding my RS. I have all the parts in my garage for the RS already so I dont need to spend any more money there.

Guy wants $2000 for it. I looked it over.

Is it worth it if I have the money?

Are these rare everywhere else? We dont have subaru's down here and it was a fluke that he had one. Looking for pics to post.

I dont have much time for research for this which is why I ask quickly.

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
The only thing that's any good on a leggy turbo is the block, and even those aren't all that great anymore.

The turbos are tiny, it doesn't make much power. Yeah, it's a very similar block to the infamous 22b, but without some serious work it's not worth it.

I'd pass it over unless you got a steal of a deal (<$1000) or if you *really* wanted a legacy turbo for the collectors value, but from the looks of it you dont.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A lot of the purchase is because I just like the car. Not looking to mod it much or anything. May take it out to rallyx it. Car seemed in good condition and I may use it as a daily.

But as far as you know there aren't any underlying problems with these cars hunh? Like the weak headgaskets of the RS, or overheating? or need of a really rare part to replace after so many years. Like a special coil that can only be found on this car or a 1985 Daihatsu truck from India with a special transmission in it.

·
Registered
95 IMPREZA L SWAPPED
313 Posts
really need some pics. for 2K, it body should be pretty good. Hope its a rare speed! most are autos. I think you can have it for 1500. Thats a good deal. These cars car getting rare. i loved them. Had 2 prior to my imprezas.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im uploading pics I found now.

The guy is using the money for his tuition and is an old friend of mine so there is also an ulterior motive here. Id like to help him with his College.

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
Copied from bbs.legacycentral.org (the legacy version of an rs25 site):
Given halfway decent maintenance, these motors easily last 250K. Try to get details from the seller like if the timing belt has been replaced (60-80K interval)

During the test drive, make sure there's no torque bind in the transmission, which will feel like wheel hop or driveline drag in turns. If the FWD light is on, take out the fuse in the engine compt to restore the AWD to properly test it. (small black box by the wiper motor marked FWD)

Don't expect WRX performance if it's stock... Legacys are set up for smooth power, it takes work to make them dance.

These cars are not costly to maintain, and easy to work on yourself. Costs can be reduced by avoiding buying anything from a Subaru dealer if possible, lol... advertise here for parts you need, everyone here's got a parts pile.

These cars rust at common points;
-Bottom of front fenders
-front edge of rear wheel arches where it joins the rocker
-back of rear wheel arch where the plastic bumper starts

Good luck with the car, hope it's a good one.

·
OG GC
OG 01 STM 2.5 RS
1,506 Posts
Buying it when he gets back from Washington on the 10th. YAY!
Nice, I saw one in Houston a couple of years ago that was stick, the dealer wanted $1500. It looked really clean to, just didn't get a chance to jump on it. Are you buying it from another member on here? The reason I ask is the GC coupe with the RS25 sticker in the background.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got it local from someone local who isnt on forums.

That's my little GC (GM) in the back ground :p

Annoying thing is... Ill have that car finished by then... just in time to buy this leggy... so then what... lol I wont be able to make up my mind which car to drive >_<

·
Low&Slow
1965 VW Bug,2001 drz400 sumo
2,942 Posts
ive had one, they are quite fun to drive with some springs, custom exhaust, and a MBC. thats basically all i did to mine and it was peppy. stock they only have 170hp if i remember right. i think revtronix makes a chip for them now too.

only thing to watch for is the coolant expansion tank. they are plastic and prone to cracking/leaking if they are old. new one i think is $150 so be prepared to replace that if it looks iffy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.