Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would boosting my RS give me problems, and would it be pointless becuase i probably wouldnt want to boost very many pounds to be safe. Please help with some ideas. Thanks

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Do a search. This question has been answered plenty of times before. The short answer? No. The EJ251 block doesn't hold boost very well, and if you boost you'll probably end up popping something. It's also expensive for the amount of power you'll gain. Swap it instead.

·
Banned
349 Posts
Yes you can boost. There are quite a few people on here that are running kits specifically made for the RS that are running 5-6 psi, which is believed to be safe for the most part.

·
Registered
sold it to Susie the Subie
3,233 Posts
Do what you want. I'm boosting fine at a low ammount and I'm very damn happy with it

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
Pointless? No. An RS boosted to a safe level (5-7lbs) has been known to be as fast in a line as a stock/slightly modded WRX.

As far as giving you problems? Depends. You'd be better off to do a lot of research on the topic before you dive in, but the short answer is that yes, reliability will go down, and by how much is dependent on the parts used, the condition of the motor, and how much you plan on going above and beyond in future mods.

But know that by the time your done getting all the parts and putting them all on, you'll have probably spent as much as you would on a WRX swap, and will have half of the reliablity factor. Which is why most people these days go with the swap. it's just easier in the long run.

·
Registered
99 Impreza RS rally blue pearl
705 Posts
The great thing about RS25 reguarding this topic is that you'll get a lot of differing opinions on what to do,and thats good. For the most part it seems to be split 50/50, turbo kit route or swap route. But the reality is that each individual has different needs,money,time,patience etc. and those needs translate into what will be best for you. Since your question is so widely discussed try a little searching or check out the stickied posts up top in this forum they will point you in the right direction or at least give you more insight. Oh, and so I dont sound too impartial, I made my kit and love it!

·
Registered
sold it to Susie the Subie
3,233 Posts
try the "official I want to turbo my RS" thread. Before boosting I read all 30 pages (at
the time) before I did anything to learn. I took notes, I did research for over 4 months
to make sure all would go well and I knew what issues I would encounter and how
to avoid them. Its fairly simple to boost an RS, but complicated at times. Also like
mentioned above, turbokit vs swap depends on you. I could've gone swap route with
the money I spent, but I have no access to a garage, motor pulling equipment, and I have
basic tools. A swap would have to have been done on my sidewalk and fuck that, I wouldn't
want crackheads approching me while I'm under a car or whatever. Not in Oakland.
Also with bills, rent and getting to work, school, poon, I couldn't afford to have my car in NON working
condition for more than two days and I'm sure a swap would take me longer than that.
The turbo kit went in after about 8 hours of work.

·
Registered
2000, 2.5 RS sedan, blue
81 Posts
But know that by the time your done getting all the parts and putting them all on, you'll have probably spent as much as you would on a WRX swap, and will have half of the reliablity factor. Which is why most people these days go with the swap. it's just easier in the long run.
figure what you think your going to spend and add 10-15% thats the best advice i ever got...

also from my experence 95% of us on here always want to go faster, if you do the swap you will have a good platform to go bigger boost, more power ect... turbo the 2.5 seems like a dead end to me..

Im running 17.5lbs boost on a daily driver, ZERO reliabilty issues

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
lol i sound like a broken record....

but the only limitation to turboing the RS is the internals (compression ratio) and the engine management...upgrade those and you're good to go, just as reliable and with the same (If not more depending on how u upgrade) potential....

swap is easier

turbo ej251 is more work but you learn more, cost varies greatly so you cant really say which one is cheaper...

read more here and you'll figure out what you want to do

however if you rely heavily on your car as a DD and cannot afford any downtime just swap it.....

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
Doooo eet.........doo eet noooowwwww!!!! (Insert schwarzenegger voice) No seriously what Jeff said ^^^^^^

·
Wedges' Biggest Fan!
2000, subaru, 2.5 rs impreza,
3,382 Posts
lol i sound like a broken record....

but the only limitation to turboing the RS is the internals (compression ratio) and the engine management...upgrade those and you're good to go, just as reliable and with the same (If not more depending on how u upgrade) potential....

swap is easier

turbo ej251 is more work but you learn more, cost varies greatly so you cant really say which one is cheaper...

read more here and you'll figure out what you want to do

however if you rely heavily on your car as a DD and cannot afford any downtime just swap it.....

Preach on!

·
Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
4,494 Posts
all this turbo talk gets me thinking. hows this question, for reliably issues

camed RS vs boosted RS?

·
Registered
'01 BRP Coupe
2,799 Posts
Boost + cams + tune = Faster than above

Reduced gas mileage, possibly reduced reliability depending on tune quality, increased fun!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts