Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much will buying a short throw shifter such as the kart boy shifter or the one found on cobb tuning's site reduce the throw of my shift? Is spending like 100 on one of these worth the money or should i look to improve other things on my car?? I feel like my shift throw right now is fine and i do now have any trouble shifting while accelerating hard or normal driving, so my main question for the people who have one or have used them is: is buying one worth the money??

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Does a bear shit in the woods?

mauahah said:
so my main question for the people who have one or have used them is: is buying one worth the money??
I have the KartBoy on my car along with the polyurethane bushings (a must) and I love it. You think the throw is cool now but you will drop to your knees and worship this thing after you put it in. To answer your question as to the amount of reduction… I’ve heard 40% but their web page will tell you for sure.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS BRP
1,359 Posts
Once you put one in your car..you will know the difference. I get in my friends car and can't believe how long her shifts throw is...drives me nutts.

You will love it..trust us!! ;) You won't want to go back to normal!! :lol:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Rallychic said:
You will love it..trust us!! ;) You won't want to go back to normal!! :lol:
So your saying that Kartboy w/ their poly bushing would be the answer or are their other options?

mauahah said I'm looking for something under 100

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
i have and prefer the STi short shifter myself...
ya get the whole sheeebang... not just a rod / bushings...

regardless of what you get..
the short throw shifter is really worth it!
makes a massive difference...

:)
have fun
Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
The STI is a killer setup but, like most STI stuff, it isn't worth the money. The KartBoy is the best deal in my opinion.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The main advantage to me is the feel of the shifter. I have the imprezaRS.com unit, just a lever, which i "hacked" to use the stock bushings, cause i hated the roller bearings that it came with (too notchy, and that vibration at 4k rpm drove me nuts). It reduces throw by about 1/3, and shifts are VERY solid.

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Well, the STi unit's only difference is the shifter arm itself, a bit of a different height than the OEM and Kartboy, both. The linkage itself is exactly the same as the OEM one, excepting a wee bit of a curve or something near the end, to accomodate the different ball-to-pivot length of the STi shifter arm, I think. Talk to Peaty about that one, he did a thorough comparison. But the linkage itself isn't any stiffer/better than OEM. So it's not worth it, IMO.

I have the KB shifter and bushings, as well. Yes, they're $125 for the set... anyplace that charges more, don't buy from them. You can buy direct from Kartboy for that much, or take your choice of several vendors. One good option is Exeter Subaru, www.subaruwrxparts.com ... "Good" because, 1. they're a great vendor/dealership, and 2. NH has no sales tax. :)

I think the 40% height reduction estimate is about right. Not sure, though.

Away from Subaru, as a sidenote, UUC Motorwerks for BMW and Audi have some very, very cool short shifters. Check them out:
www.uucmotorwerks.com
The bimmer.org and audiworld.com guys revere them just as much as we do Kartboy, if not more.

-S2-

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO 6spd
4,229 Posts
push said:
Are the bushings hard to install?
Nope not really.

I'm a huge fan of short shifters. I drove my friends A4 the other day and it was awful. I dunno how anyone can be happy with a car that has such a long throw.

·
Registered
MY01 RS Silverthorn...stock
440 Posts
I got mine with bushings and shipped for 110$ through a vender on nasioc. Look under the vender forsale and under drivetrain and do a search.

J

·
0 Posts
I learned how to drive manual on my Dad's 1990 F-150 and the throws are about a foot long (no joke)! I just got my 2000 OBS and I didn't think the throws could get any shorter but now I'm looking into a short shifter and can't wait to see what its gonna be like.

·
Registered
MY01 RS Silverthorn...stock
440 Posts
your going to have to probrubly change your pants after you install it :drool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts