Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey just installed a twm sts and a new twm shift knob, took me about 30 min

anyways now when i'm driving it is much harder to up and downshift, like i'm forcing the shifter into gear

do i need to break it in or something? (like new brakes or tires) or what do you think is the problem

my throws are shorter but when i had a stock shifter i could just lightly nudge the shifts into place but now i have to pull and push

:'(

·
Low&Slow
1965 VW Bug,2001 drz400 sumo
2,942 Posts
over-tighten the the nut and bolt that holds the shifter to the linkage?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i haven't yet installed the hard bushings, right now ive got the stock in

and no i didn't over tighten the bolts, their actually pretty loose, but not like wobble loose or anything, snugly loose

maybe if i just work the shifter for a while in park with the car off it'll loosen up

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
A short throw shifter makes the throw shorter, but they also decrease the leverage at the same time, making for a little harder force needed. But it sounds like you are really pushing hard, so I'm going to go with the over-tightened nut possibility, too. But keep in mind that it's going to take a higher effort regardless.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Did you grease it up? Make sure you put a good amount in there and on the bottom of the shifter itself. Rub it all around, and give it some time after you install to "break in" of sorts.

·
Registered
2015 WRX+TE37ta
4,819 Posts
Poo, I was hoping that maybe the bushings just needed to be worn in. It wouldn't hurt to just put the bushings in and see what happens. Maybe somewhere along the way you'll solve the problem without knowing it :)

i haven't yet installed the hard bushings, right now ive got the stock in

and no i didn't over tighten the bolts, their actually pretty loose, but not like wobble loose or anything, snugly loose

maybe if i just work the shifter for a while in park with the car off it'll loosen up

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, on the twm site it said that it might be hard to shift at high rpms because your used to the longer shifts of your stock.. and that you should get used to just regular shifting until you have the flow down

works for me but also i noticed that if you park it in the driveway and just do a bunch of shifting without the car on it breaks it in pretty well also

·
Banned
04 STi WRB
369 Posts
Hi,

Make sure that the bolt is not too tight, you can back it off 1/2 a turn just to make sure. Also keep in mind that the shift throw is reduced by 40% so the effort will increase because of less leverage on the shifter.

Frank
TWM Performance

1 - 10 of 10 Posts