Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought both through ebay and both are genuine. The OBX came in so much wrappping it seemed they could've dropped it out of an airplane. I drove over to ECS down the street (I'm lucky), and had them put them in. Now I'm not sure if when headers and new exhaust get put in but the sound they made at first made me worry, it was pretty dam loud for the next day or two. But now it is a nice quiete rumble that doesn't scream ricer and still delivers enough sound to make people's heads turn if thats your cup of tea.

The biggest gain is deff. in 4th and 5th gear. I find myself cruising around in 5th gear and it not bucking or sputtering. I noticed a reduction in the car tilting down when you shift gears, 1st through 5th are buttery smooth now, now letup. Feels nice; I like it. What I don't like is the drone on the highway, maybe you get that with every exhaust but I seem to notice it. I'm not comparing it to any other exhaust setup, this is th eonly one I've ever used.

Question for people: My girlfriend in the passenger seat says she can hardly hear the exhaust setup, I thought maybe she had bad ears. But when I put my head over to that side of the car its deff quieter. Is there more sound proofing or is it that the tail pipe isn't on her side, but right under me? Maybe my mind is playing tricks.

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Not sure what to tell you, about the drone. I doubt you can do anything for it. The OBX already is a baffled muffler, with a long resonator. So I'm sure it's the headers.

Good review! :)

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Borla headers generally reduce drone. My cat back was a lot more droney when I was running it with stock headers. Soon as the Borla's went on, drone went away and it was rumble city.

That said, you NEED time for everything to break in. It needs to build a carbon film, the glass in the resonator and muffler needs to break in. Like I said to another guy in his thread, give it a solid month before making a decision. I drove catback-only for about a month, and in that time, the drone was reduced quite a bit, but the instant the headers went in, drone was virtually gone. Keep in mind, I drive a wagon, which drones a LOT more than a sedan or coupe. Now at 3k on the highway all I hear is a gentle rumble somewhere behind me, on anything more than perfectly smooth, fresh pavement road noise overpowers the drone.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Deserve what? I was asking for vids of the OP's setup. That link doesn't help me, which is why I didn't dignify it with a response.

And FYI, I never post that link telling people to "search noob!"

·
Registered
99 impreza rs 2.5 black
870 Posts
I think the sound deffinatly changes over time. I have the obx headers (el) all the way to the muffler. Its been on for about a month and a half and the neighbors are just now asking about it.

·
Registered
Impreza 2.5rs
745 Posts
i was only kidding. i even sent you to your own thread. :)

Figured it would would help the vid would get posted there...

:) :) <--- more smilies too

I would guess since the midpipe is right under the driver, it would make sense to hear it less on the other side.

I'd guess thats why the stock midpipe has the resonator in that spot too.

·
Registered
'01 RS 2.5 Silverthorne
136 Posts
I think you may just be more in touch with the car. When you're driving you notice little creaks and sounds and subtle differences because you're concentrating more than a passenger, and if your girlfriend is like mine she might not notice anything that's not completely obvious about your car.
-Also, do you have the Stromung twin tip or the OBX catback or did you put one on the other? I have the borla rep. headers and OBX catback with stock cats and it's much quieter than I expected overall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts