Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shit

i was putting my strut tower bar on last night, and the one bolt that didn't have the bar underneath it i was making sure it was tight. well, the bolt was evidentally tight, cause it turned itself right off, along with the threads. anyone know the part number, or where i can find it. is it ok to drive on it like this for a few days?so in short, i only have two of the three bolts holding the strut top into the body of the car. is this something i can wait till i get new struts and springs so i'm not waisting my time? sorry so long.

-brian

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Asp
152 Posts
you should be ok for a few days but i wouldn't push it. you'll need a new strut hat is what i think it's called.

·
Registered
410 Posts
From what I've read you can replace the studs in the upper strut mounts by tapping out the old one and popping in a new one. Supposedly they are the same press-in studs as those used for the wheel lugs.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I didnt notice until today that "SUBARU" backwards is "UR-A-BUS".:sunny:

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just so you all know,..thats not my car,....i just found a picture the quickest i could that showed what i meant.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I did the same thing to the rears on mine. I found out later that they are only supposed to br tightened to 14lbs with a torque wrench. I was told that I was okay as long as I didn't push it to hard. I also had to replace the whole top. $65 plus install.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Those studs aren't the same as the wheel studs (obviously). They may tap in the same as the wheel studs but.....

Anyway, if you don't think you'll be able to replace that stud soon, just run a bolt and nut up from the bottom and cinch it up.

2 outta 3 ain't bad, so don't worry too much about it.:biggest:

If you end up having to buy a new strut top, don't. Email me and I'll tap out one from an old top I have layin around and mail it to you. at your expense naturally.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help guys. i called the subaru dealer in Raleigh the other day about it to see what i could for it, the fuckers wanted 98 bucks for a new top. i got onto subaruparts.com, and got it shipped for something like 60 dollars. so anywho, thanks for all the help.

-brian

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
George, why-not-Minot? Seriously, if you've got relatively high miles on your car replacing the strut tops isn't a bad idea. Any rubber parts will need replacing sooner or later and now is as good a time as any. May want to consider STI mounts, solid mounts, or camber plates while you're at it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
you can replace just the stud/nut - i dont know the part number sorry, but they're pretty cheap and they're pretty easy to replcae.. if you're flexible you can do it by jsut removing the wheel and pushing it up there.. there are even holes strategically drilled to make it easier to do, they're pretty much just compression fit in the strut tops, with splines to keep them from turning. use a torque wrench on them in the future (and for anyone else) and torque them to 14 lbs, they snap pretty easily if you overtorque them.

Of course it also makes a good excuse to upgrade :)

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
Safir said:
you can replace just the stud/nut - i dont know the part number sorry, but they're pretty cheap and they're pretty easy to replcae.. if you're flexible you can do it by jsut removing the wheel and pushing it up there.. there are even holes strategically drilled to make it easier to do, they're pretty much just compression fit in the strut tops, with splines to keep them from turning. use a torque wrench on them in the future (and for anyone else) and torque them to 14 lbs, they snap pretty easily if you overtorque them.

Of course it also makes a good excuse to upgrade :)
There is no part number for the stud itself. If you have one I'd love to know it. I helped a local guy replace one he snapped installing a strut bar. Subaru wants to sell the whole hat at 80+ bucks. I just took out the strut (it was a rear one) and pressed out the broken stud and put a bolt with a new nut. You just have to use something to hold the bolt in place long enough to get the nut on and tight. I ended up using JB weld. For the front I don't know if there is enough room to get up in there. If you can reach it from the bottom you may be able to do it in place.

The tork is shown here at 14.3 +/- 4.3 ft/lbs:

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza RS
586 Posts
Ha, I did the same thing, except on the rear top mounts. I ended up "upgrading" to STi after it broke. I drove around with 2 bolts for a month or so with no ill effects as far as I can tell.

Nick C.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok, so i got the top in the mail. now how do i go about getting it in? anything important i should know before i dig in there?
-brian

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
Look up any strut install page. Basically you will be doing the exact same thing as changing a strut because you have to take it out and remove the top hat.

·
Premium Member
'94 WrsX - Ocean Reef Blue
375 Posts
I did the same thing putting on my h and r christmas springs last night. Isnt it just a hole that goes through the top hat, so couldnt i just feed any random bolt threw it?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts