Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
Drag 00 Impreza 2.5 RSTI
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...had some play in my 5 speed while in gear.
Thought it was my front and rear shifter bushings. Replaced them both with Kartboy bushings. The problem is still there.

This is what I mean...

http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii229/mtcs83/?action=view&current=0805081941.flv

I think my problem is the shifter linkage bushings. Would driving on bad shifter link bushings damage my tranny in any way? I know if you drive on bad front or rear shifter bushings it is bad for your tranny.

Any thoughts?

Ben

·
Premium Member
06 Lexus Rx400h
1,661 Posts
not as long as you dont grind when you shift or it pops outa gear... they are easy to replace and only cost like six bucks from dealershit.. and i mean shit... i had to replace mine too...

·
Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
4,494 Posts
How do you replace em?
you have to take off the tranny H member and you should see it there. use a punch on the pins. its very self explanatory. i got a TIC linkage update. it had bolts not the OEM rivits so you can replace them in the future.

·
Premium Member
Drag 00 Impreza 2.5 RSTI
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dont have $80 + shipping for the part really...

Got a new stocker for $40. Hopefully I wont have to replace it for at least a year. If I do wear it out again, Ill get the TIC.

·
Premium Member
Drag 00 Impreza 2.5 RSTI
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How do you replace the front shifter bushing. I bought myself a Kartboy kit and cant figure out how to get the stock one out of the car. I looked at Kartboy's website and it directed me to scoobymods.com. Doesnt really tell you how to get them out...Such a tight space to work within. Does anyone have any experience with this? Should I just cut it out with a knife? any ideas...

·
Registered
2003 OBS
72 Posts
What brand/type of bushings did everybody go with? stock? upgraded to even stiffer? need these asap.

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
I did a stock replacement, works great. Someone was talking about making some custom ones on a lathe. TIC has a replacement, but it's expensive.

I assume you're talking about the little swivel connector jobber?

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Brighton
491 Posts
What brand/type of bushings did everybody go with? stock? upgraded to even stiffer? need these asap.
I used the one from TiC. Cost about $130 installed. If you have a newer car which uses a bolt rather than a rivet (or if you have the patience to drill out a rivet), you can make a homemade replacement using parts from a hardware store. There's a writeup somewhere on this site, but I'm too lazy to find it.

Don't let the Subaru dealership try to tell you they need to drop the transmission to get to it. They quoted me $300 for labor. :biglaugh:
Any good shop with a lift should be able to pop it off in about half an hour. If you have ramps and a punch, you may be able to get it in about that time too, but it's a lot easier to punch out that pin when the car is higher in the air.

·
Registered
01 gc8 black
41 Posts
ive been searching all day and was found some people with the maintenance im trying to go for but many have short shifter, i was wondering if the Kartboy bushing kit would work with the TIC linkage bushing? As i stated ive been saerching and havnt found a correct answer so please... im a serious noob please dont flame =]

EDIT: i bought the bushing kit from kartboy, with regular shift lever, thot it would come with linkage bushing but it didnt so im looking to purchasing this TIC 5MT Shifter Linkage Update

1 - 16 of 16 Posts