Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
White 1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the OEM shift knob, but it's not unscrewing off. Not sure what else I should do. I have removed the trim piece around the shifter. I have tried using a wrench to have better leverage but it isn't moving at all. I'm afraid I'm gonna mess something up if I use any more force.

IMG_2769.jpg IMG_2768.jpg IMG_2770.jpg

·
Registered
1998 2.2l Impreza coupe
11 Posts
In the words of Patrick Starr, "Firmly grasp it."
"It" being the shift knob itself. Then, twist HARD in a counter-clockwise motion. You'll get it. Then, and this is the important part, do not install it as tight as the previous person.
The trim piece does not need removed. It looks like you messed up the boot quite a bit in this effort.. good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm replacing the shifter/e-brake boot and the shift knob all together cause the leather for both has been tearing over time. I have a feeling that this shift knob has been on the car since the beginning of time lmao. Manage to get everything off aside from the knob. Would the use of WD-40 be advisable?

·
Registered
1998 2.2l Impreza coupe
11 Posts
lubricant is going to be difficult to get on the threads, as you're working against gravity. Honestly, if you're replacing the shift knob, and throwing the current one away, your best bet is to take your vice grips, adjust them so you can just barely clamp them onto the widest part of the leather knob, then hold the shift rod with one hand, and twist the vice grips as far out as possible. Mechanical leverage is your friend. I hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ah thanks, I assumed it was just brute force turning lol. Was wondering if there was another way, guess not o_O
Thanks

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
800 Posts
I salvaged a linkage that had an aftermarket knob JB Welded on. Maybe that's the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm I don't' think that is the case, but if it is what should I do? 🤔

·
www.jackstalk.com
‘98 RS, 911 Cab, CT6 TT, Escalade ESV
5,625 Posts
You can also remove the one bolt/nut to the linkage and pop the shifter out of its ball socket. Then the whole thing will come out and you can try to remove it on the bench In a vice or something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts