Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently active duty in the US Navy and have a 2003 WRX. I am thinking of selling her and getting a 2.5RS. I love my WRX but due to some money issues (past) and my pending security clearance I need to clear those items up. Currently I have a 2.5 EJ257 block sitting waiting to go into her but if I sell and buy a 2.5RS I will swap the built EJ257 into her. Has anyone seen a rotated setup on a swapped 2.5RS? I am unable to see pictures due to the dam proxy in place here on board the ship.

What are some pros and cons of owning the 2.5RS?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this should answer some of the question. The turbo GC in the pictures is my car. PM me if you have any questions. i should be able to answer anything you might have questions for.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82525

i would love to check out the pictures of your car and everyone elses but due to a proxy some photo hosting websites are proxied out. Plus our email server is down due to maintence.

I was looking at a post from the guys at Top Speed. What exactly is a Brighton. I was not aware of a Subaru with that name.

Scott

·
project blackbird.
'01 RS, '81 Fiat Spider
3,396 Posts
It was a trim level of the Impreza L back in the day. Basically came with no features and power nothing and was therefore one of the lightest AWD cars you could buy.

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
Top speed is pretty low in an RS. I'm at 3k doing 70 in 5th. Not much fun.

·
4 please, to go.
Ver 7 STi GC, elderly L
3,623 Posts
Top speed is pretty low in an RS. I'm at 3k doing 70 in 5th. Not much fun.
Top speed on an RS tranny is about 145 at redline(6250rpm). If you raise the redline to 7200 like on the STi, it should be closer to 165.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I go with a Brighton what issues should I expect with swapping in a EJ257, or basically a STi complete swap?

·
4 please, to go.
Ver 7 STi GC, elderly L
3,623 Posts
there's lots of threads about this subject circulating, most with a better explanation than I can offer. However, long story short, what you need to complete the swap depends on how much of the swap you already have. To do an EJ257 swap into a WRX is a hell of a lot easier than into a GC since the harness is non-turbo in the GC. If all you have is the engine itself, then you'll also need this to complete the swap in a GC:

• Full STi wiring harness
  • turbo crossmember
  • full turbo-back exhaust
  • Throttle-by-wire pedal box (forester XT works the best)
  • Powersteering reservoir+hard/soft lines
  • Boost control solenoid
  • WRX wagon FSB
  • high-flow fuel pump
  • STi ECU

You will also need to upgrade the suspension and brakes, especially if you are doing this swap into an L or lower. The added power and weight is just too much for the stock suspension, and the speeds you can get up to in such a short time will necessitate added stopping power.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the help. I am seriously considering this as an option for my future vehicle. I would like a low curb weight like the Brighton but would also like the comfort features of power windows, alarm, etc... What models would you recommend?

·
4 please, to go.
Ver 7 STi GC, elderly L
3,623 Posts
if you want the nice stuff, you'll need a late model well equipped L or RS.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh okay. I want to find one that has not been modded or lightly modded. With a proxy on the ship its hard to look at different colors of the RS.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts