Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed Mr. Josh43's lightened pulley a few days ago, and I have a question now. The pulley seemed as if it was centered on the woodruff key, and tightened all the way to 100 lb/ft. If it wasn't centered, it would be crooked, wouldnt it? Also, it appears that theres a VERY VERY slight wobble to it, with no belt deflection what so ever, is this normal?

·
Registered
'93 L wagon, '04 FXTi
1,682 Posts
You have to verify it by feeling or hearing it, because slight discrepencies in the paint or surface irregularites can look like a wobble as its spinning.

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, if I'm driving it, and it sounds exactly like before, and the performance of the car increased a tad, Ishouldnt worry?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
You know what? That's what is happening to my car, too. ...but I still know that my engine is smoother and quicker. It could be that with the dampener removed, it's showing the slight wobble. I didn't check my stock pulley before I replaced mine with MrJosh43's but the pulley was made perfectly. I tried to figure out why it was a bit wobbly, but I got no response from other members. I'm thinking it's commonplace for lightened pulley owners to have this.

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm.. STarting earlier today, whenever I turn the steering wheel quite a bit, I get some squeaking, any suggestions?

·
Registered
'93 L wagon, '04 FXTi
1,682 Posts
joefocker20 said:
Hmm.. STarting earlier today, whenever I turn the steering wheel quite a bit, I get some squeaking, any suggestions?
Check the tension on your PS belt. Hopefully you aren't too close to the end of the adjustment.

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats odd, it now sounds like the squeaking is in the steering wheel itself..Hmm,I dunno..

·
Registered
98 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl
396 Posts
update??

The squeal is usually a loose belt. As BAN SUVS states keep an eye on that long alternator tension bolt as you tighten down. If you go tto far "something" will break!
Also if you tighten the belt too much you will wipe put the power steering pump bearing.

I've never seen Mr. Josh43 pulleys.
Try this: With the car running lay on the ground and from underneath the crank pully lightly rest your finger on the belt [use care not to get it ripped off your hand] and fell if it is belt and the pully are rotating smoothly. If it is smooth then of course the ribbed area that the belt rides on is ok and so visual "wobble" might be due to the variance in the circumference of the pulley's lip.

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its hard to tell with all of the NVH in my car between the Whiteline rear diff lock kit, Stromung Exhaust, and Kartboy Shifter. I ordered some Kartboy Exhaust Hangers, so some NVH will be gone when I drive it and hopefully I'll pinpoint it. I think it may just need some belt dressing, both belts have about a 1/4 inch of play in them

·
Registered
98 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl
396 Posts
Nooo... don't use belt dressing on a serpentine belt. That stuff is only for the older "V" belts.

·
Registered
'93 L wagon, '04 FXTi
1,682 Posts
joefocker20 said:
Its hard to tell with all of the NVH in my car between the Whiteline rear diff lock kit, Stromung Exhaust, and Kartboy Shifter. I ordered some Kartboy Exhaust Hangers, so some NVH will be gone when I drive it and hopefully I'll pinpoint it. I think it may just need some belt dressing, both belts have about a 1/4 inch of play in them
Kartboy hangers are going to increase the NVH from the Stromung.

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, Im just trying to get rid of the rattling from it hitting my rear diff..

·
Registered
'93 L wagon, '04 FXTi
1,682 Posts
Ah, yes, that would be good. Plus, who wouldn't want more exhaust noise making it into the cabin? :)

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, Im replacing my Ganz w/ a Cobb CAI, getting Cobb Street Cams, and buying Brullen Headers, so I should have alot more exhaust noise in the cabin soon :)

·
Registered
05 STi White + 99 RS White
1,828 Posts
The intake will be louder than anything... Unless you have headers... Those drown out even the intake...

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I've driven about 800 miles with the pulley on, it should be alright than, shouldnt it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts