Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
01 RS w/ 2.1 stroker ej205
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this thread is for honest and serious readers who can give their own opinion and feedback to other readers who may have the same question just like me.

Last year i bought a 93 AWD Impreza L at a tow yard for freakn $800. hands down it took me about 4 months of searching on the internet and bugging the crap out of a family friend to help me search too. He was the one who got me into Subarus. No doubt about but everyone who hasnt droven a subby has a lot of bs to say. Not til they shut their pie hole just like i did :D. But seriously who knew the potential of Subaru Imprezas? Especially the GC version. They are perfect for anyone who wants a safe and yet inexpensive car. I originally wanted to get one because it seemed like a great project car. And it was my first subaru ever!

My Subby!

After owning it for about almost a year... and a lot of modding on the suspension, brakes, tires, wheels, exterior, interior, exhaust, etc... where does this money all go? Of course for enjoyment right? We, especially me, love to see our subbys continue to blossom as we continuing adding parts. Afterwards drive it down the street and let others driving their rice rocket hondas figure out what kind of car it is. The best thing about 93- 01 imprezas is that they are unique in their own way. How? Well, not many people own them... and many modds can be done to make them breath-taking.

By that i mean: ( using other pictures from actual members of RS25.com)
From this-

Into this-

Now that the economy has drastically been declining... even affording goodies for my GC can be ridiculously expensive. Used parts, shipping, and JDM parts are all over priced!! What can i do but tear my hair out :rolleyes4.

From the beginning of purchasing this baby... it was a dream that could never go wrong. yet now everything is ruined. I mean i shouldnt exaggerate it this much. But for those who did engine swaps on their GC8... like a USDM STi engine, or JDM STi Engine... what does it all come out to be worth?? Enjoyment of course! but when you do realize, for whatever reason, that you do need to sell the car... in reality who is going to buy a six year old used Subaru Impreza priced over $15,000 just because of motor swap. And the answer would be of course, loyal subaru drivers. But if i was desperately looking for a great GC8 to start out with... i would purchase an all stock car. The reason is because it is inexpensive and definetly has not been modded to look either crappy or riced out.

And the whole big picture of this article is why i am writing:

Is first because my friends and family have been telling me what a piece of crap car i am dealing with. But if i was ever fortunate enough, i would completely transform my GC and prove to those idiots:monkey: that they were wrong.

Second, i know this may make readers sick..:boxer:. but prepare yourself.... ii want to own a GD and debating on not to actually sell my L. I tryed to consider the possibility of owning the GD and GC...but it is slim. Becausee.... i am only in high school!! But damn it would be nice to own a 2005 GD Sti. I wouldnt have to create a list of what things need to be changed and have keep track of expenses. I would have the STi engine sitting in it...with the tranny. STi interior ...and etc from what you expect to see.

Third, finally i would love to swap my 93 L out with a STi engine. Particular a EJ257. But WWHOO in the FUDGE knows how to deal with wiring aka spider webs that sit behind the dash. And i went to Garage Tuning... got a quote from Kevin and Brian... costing me over 10 G's. It's definitely worth it in the short run to get the swap because the GD version are priced over 20 G's. But in the long run when a recession does follow...those who are short on money will eventually have to sell their beloved ones. Am i right?? Or those who are truthful... will stick by their car and ride it out til it ends. Doubt that high prices in gas will ever fall or the war in Iraq wont possibly end within the next year.. and by then... where will the economy be then?~?~?~

In the end... everything brings me back to the original question after writing this thread... how will it really end???

·
Registered
04 sti
1,126 Posts
its too long. im trying to edit a drift video at the time.

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
I feel the same way.

Someone at the gas station pulled up beside me yesterday... Silver Mustang, exhaust, maybe some other things. Clean and all, but he drove it like a mad man into the station, then I could hear him rip the e-brake on uber hard. Durrrrr, not necessary, I thought he was beating on it when he didn't need to be, just to act cool. And anyways, EVERYONE has a Mustang, that's what I don't like about them.

Yea, GCs rock. Cheaper when not swapped, look good, AWD, great handling, safety, reliability... the list goes on. Although, they may not be the fastest cars around, NA.

As they say... cheap, reliable, fast... pick two of those and only two.

·
Premium Member
2000 Impreza 2.5rs stm
259 Posts
Stick with the L. I hate to be the one that sounds responsible and all, but you did say you were in high school. An 05 sti is a large financial endeavor, and the cost for you to ensure it gives me shivers. Keep the L. Hook it up right if that's what you want to do. Get an sti in a few years, and then you can have both.

·
Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
2,719 Posts
I feel the same way.

Someone at the gas station pulled up beside me yesterday... Silver Mustang, exhaust, maybe some other things. Clean and all, but he drove it like a mad man into the station, then I could hear him rip the e-brake on uber hard. Durrrrr, not necessary, I thought he was beating on it when he didn't need to be, just to act cool. And anyways, EVERYONE has a Mustang, that's what I don't like about them.

Yea, GCs rock. Cheaper when not swapped, look good, AWD, great handling, safety, reliability... the list goes on. Although, they may not be the fastest cars around, NA.

As they say... cheap, reliable, fast... pick two of those and only two.
Never heard that before, but I like it. So very true.

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
Again, you want to own a GD to join the masses, you want to purchase a car that is already built, you want to be just like every other Subaru fanboy....

So uhhh what was thet point of this article?

I tell myself everyday "Built not Bought" I have a unique car and no one even remotely close to me has a car that is even similar.

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
essay much.

too much for me to handle.
The irony of the Internet baffles me. It offers endless knowledge, yet overexposure to it actually decreases the capacity, for some, to actually be able to read.

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
To answer the OP...

Nobody knows how it will end. :) Several people align with your line of thinking; in fact, one might argue that anyone outside of a small niche of car owners, such as ourselves, would agree with such logic. For example, for me to drive to a swap shop, and spend what is essentially my car's full value on a new engine, is statistically absurd. Unless they're antiques, exotics or Harley-Davidsons, vehicles are a negative investment from day one. To spend great amounts of money on an essentially average car, is ludicrous.

However, this is a hobby, and as with any hobby, to an outsider it may or may not seem palatable. To anyone other than a Subaru enthusiast, going to painstaking ends to create, say, a turbo version of your favorite Impreza, would seem an insane endeavor. Why put so much effort, and money, into a car like that? Particularly when, as you said, the value doesn't realistically hold?

The only solace we can offer is that, lately, swapped Imprezas have sold for very good prices. While one will rarely ever recover, let alone profit from, aftermarket parts additions, within the boundaries of small communities like this one, you can often have a "safe bet." I tend to lean toward the more conservative: when I'm finally able to swap my car, I'll keep the exterior looking mostly like it does now, though hopefully add perhaps a Ver.6 front lip. Going too wild or personal with styling, and then trying to sell to someone else, is infinitely more difficult. It's similar to trying to sell abstract art, to someone who has no interest in the medium. You've got what you view as a masterpiece, but most others will scoff at.

(It just so happens that I truly dislike most aftermarket-looking Impreza exteriors, but there you have it: personal taste.)

If this is your labor of love, what you truly want to do, then do it. If you're wary, or just want the satisfaction of turbo, perhaps picking up a GD WRX would be best. Believe me, I've been there. Many times. :D I nearly sold my RS last year, while looking around for 2005+ Legacy GTs. In fact I still look at them from time to time; I find them to be fantastic cars. In the end, though, my car wasn't worth enough toward the price of the Legacy, on top of the fact that my wife and I were house hunting. A new house takes slight priority, over another car. ;)

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To answer the OP...

Nobody knows how it will end. :) Several people align with your line of thinking; in fact, one might argue that anyone outside of a small niche of car owners, such as ourselves, would agree with such logic. For example, for me to drive to a swap shop, and spend what is essentially my car's full value on a new engine, is statistically absurd. Unless they're antiques, exotics or Harley-Davidsons, vehicles are a negative investment from day one. To spend great amounts of money on an essentially average car, is ludicrous.

However, this is a hobby, and as with any hobby, to an outsider it may or may not seem palatable. To anyone other than a Subaru enthusiast, going to painstaking ends to create, say, a turbo version of your favorite Impreza, would seem an insane endeavor. Why put so much effort, and money, into a car like that? Particularly when, as you said, the value doesn't realistically hold?

The only solace we can offer is that, lately, swapped Imprezas have sold for very good prices. While one will rarely ever recover, let alone profit from, aftermarket parts additions, within the boundaries of small communities like this one, you can often have a "safe bet." I tend to lean toward the more conservative: when I'm finally able to swap my car, I'll keep the exterior looking mostly like it does now, though hopefully add perhaps a Ver.6 front lip. Going too wild or personal with styling, and then trying to sell to someone else, is infinitely more difficult. It's similar to trying to sell abstract art, to someone who has no interest in the medium. You've got what you view as a masterpiece, but most others will scoff at.

(It just so happens that I truly dislike most aftermarket-looking Impreza exteriors, but there you have it: personal taste.)

If this is your labor of love, what you truly want to do, then do it. If you're wary, or just want the satisfaction of turbo, perhaps picking up a GD WRX would be best. Believe me, I've been there. Many times. :D I nearly sold my RS last year, while looking around for 2005+ Legacy GTs. In fact I still look at them from time to time; I find them to be fantastic cars. In the end, though, my car wasn't worth enough toward the price of the Legacy, on top of the fact that my wife and I were house hunting. A new house takes slight priority, over another car. ;)
thanks i can finally relate now!

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs BRP
215 Posts
Is first because my friends and family have been telling me what a piece of crap car i am dealing with.
BLASPHEMY!!! lawl

by the way, im quite impressed that a highschooler would put this much thought into this kinda thing.
props to you! most of the highschoolers I know are morons/dont care or think about this stuff at all.
anyhow, hope all goes well for ya with whatever decision you make

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BLASPHEMY!!! lawl

by the way, im quite impressed that a highschooler would put this much thought into this kinda thing.
props to you! most of the highschoolers I know are morons/dont care or think about this stuff at all.
anyhow, hope all goes well for ya with whatever decision you make
yeah seriously my dad has by given me the lecture. Just thinking carefully on how i invest my money into my valuable assets yo!

what whereeeee! i searched. but didnt come up

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
omfg... i read 'Tim. Flat4's article. It is totally mind blowing. My thoughts are shared within his write up. damn. not much to say but keep pushing because it's true.

You build and you build appreciating the significant value of your subby. Truly your hands are greased from working through long days and nights just to transform the car. Instead those who buy an GD are unappreciative. I have a couple of friends that just throw the word around "yeah i got the STi, its fast." But really those words would likely mean nothing. Not til they have realized what us GC owners have gone through with our cars. Totally.

I dont think i would even appreciate the GD. Probably the sheer horses and the interior and the sexy exhaust note. and how roomy it is. BUT i noticed when i first bought my L...how much more simple things were compared to the newer cars today. My mom's lexus es330 is freakn all luxry. Forget the weight gaining electronics needed to make driving safer and enjoyable. i love it the way it is now. Especially how old it is and that old car smell. If anyone can relate please do!

·
Premium Member
'98 RSTI, '14 XV Hybrid
2,955 Posts
I can relate. I Wanted an STI like no tomorrow. Then one day I discovered the GC8 and was like "damn, that looks like a fun little car."

I found one 3 hours away. Went and test drove it. Had a BLAST. I came to an agreement to pay $6800 on a 98 RS with 100k on it.

Though time everyone is like why didnt you jsut buy a GD. Well I feel like a part of me went into the car, I sure know a hell of alot of Blood did.

I dumped 16k... thats 16,000+/- into my car... added to the 6800 I paid for the car. Thats a used STI!

But my car is mine, and people that drive by and ring on my door bell to tell me how sexy it is or to ask about it... or to demand my wheels for a small randsum, it all makes my day.

Plus... new car payments suck. Im finishing off the loan for my swap (2k left) and then I have my new car loan (19k left.) Put me around $600 a month.'

So be happy with your car. I know Ive been thinking about selling my scoob. I might just need to to regain my foothold on my finances...Seeing the cars are the only thing Im paying for.

Your in highschool... be happy with the car you have. I drove a beat Jeep that I installed a lift and all those goodies on and used it for what it was meant. but it SMELLED and I smelt bad every day in class. I did buy my new Wrangler in Senior year, last month of school. Even that was a 2003 in the year of 2006.

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
Your in highschool... be happy with the car you have. I drove a beat Jeep that I installed a lift and all those goodies on and used it for what it was meant. but it SMELLED and I smelt bad every day in class. I did buy my new Wrangler in Senior year, last month of school. Even that was a 2003 in the year of 2006.

Good point. I bought my first car as a senior in high school, in 1994. It was a 1982 Chevy S-10, with a bad carbeurator and lots of other problems. But it ran (...mostly...) and got me where I needed to go (...usually...).

Now, I think it best to buy the best car you can reasonably afford, but don't stretch yourself too much, so early on. Unless of course you've got rich parents who see fit to plop your unexperienced rear end in a car that you've no business driving.

But it doesn't seem that's the case, here. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts