Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS (STM)
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buyer interested in buying my car and he wants me to give him a ballpark on what it would cost him to get a transmission for it so he can know what to expect to pay on top of what he is paying me for the car.

It's a 2000 2.5RS with a 5 speed transmission. Transmission has been making a noise for a few years now, sounds like a bearing noise, or it could be the clutch pressure plate. You can hear the noise throughout the RPM range, but when you put it in neutral and press down on the clutch the sound goes away. Does that mean it could just be the pressure plate? Also it is leaking at the rear shaft seal where the shaft meets up with the transmission.

The more I think about it the more I think if he replaces the clutch and the pressure plate, and replaces the rear seal, then he doesn't need to replace the entire transmission. There are no grinds and it shifts smoothly.

·
Registered
'99 RS
425 Posts
Sounds like it could be just a bad throw out bearing and a new tail shaft seal. Not even $100 in parts to fix. If I was going to go through the trouble of replacing a TOB, I'd just replace the clutch and flywheel anyways due to the amount of work it is to get the transmission out.

·
Registered
1999 RSTi coupe
402 Posts
I'd put my money on a bad throwout bearing. Like said above, a throwout bearing ls like $30 on rallysportdirect. You can get an exedy replacement clutch kit for like $165 which includes a throwout bearing as well. $200 total in parts to include rear main seal since it will be exposed once you remove the flywheel. If he can do the jog himself he's looking at $200. If he pays, he'll be paying upwards of $1000 more or less. Used transmission can be found for like $500 also.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS (STM)
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I was thinking it could be an input shaft bearing.

When the clutch is out (engaged) there is noise / chattering. The noise increases with RPM's with the clutch engaged (driving). Sounds like a bearing is spinning.

When the clutch is in (disengaged) the noise immediately goes away. Again, I can shift all gears fine.

I think a bad throwout bearing will still make noise when the clutch is in (disengaged).

Correct me if I'm wrong on this thinking? If it is indeed the input shaft bearing, how hard is it to change, would it be a lot worse than a throwout bearing?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts