Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to start a project car and am wanting to know what year 2.5 Rs would be best? I know that there was a DOHC version but need some info. Any knowledge will be appreciated ,, thanks

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Reciprocator said:
I have heard that the DOHC RS does not respond well to being turbocharged because it is not strong enough to take the boost.

YMMV.
The 98 DOHC RS is actually better for turbo charging than the SOHC engines. Although those engines do have a problem with blowing head gaskets.

About not being strong enough, that's in general for all 2.5l stock. 5-6 psi your fairly safe, anything more than you want to start replacing everything to take to the boost.

Buster

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would think that the DOHC would be in general a better engine, however right now I am in the early stages of planning. I am wanting to go the different route wth this project. I really like the coupe's looks and the older generations(93-?) exteriors style. What year was the DOHC produced in the 2.5 RS? Anyway after reading some other posts in a different topic I see that amybe a cheaper (L) model and then swapping the eninge might be a way to go. Like I said this is very early stages of planning. But for sure the older gen(s) is the way I am going for sure. And the latest 03 version just does not get it for me. I think Subaru went backwards with that (new) styling.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Doesn't the DOHC EJ25 also have a higher compression ratio then say the 1999 model SOHC EJ25? The 99RS will also allow you to run the 02+ WRX injectors which can be bought second hand much cheaper then the RC engineering ones. You could also get an Impreza L and swap in a 2.2L turbo motor from an old Legacy. That way you can use the 98 model DOHC heads or stick with the orignal Legacy turbo heads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As I stated before I am wanting to go down the road less traveled. And as always in any project planning and cost is a major factor. Not making mistakes along the way. An (L) might be the best way and swap an engine. Which eninge and heads are interchangeable to create a monster. The internals would be completly rebuilt for heavy boost. Let me know your opinions, and sweet looking ride above. Anybody have an opinion of the 04 wrx-sti, I think it was a step backward and the price will not fly for most.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
N/A said:
Doesn't the DOHC EJ25 also have a higher compression ratio then say the 1999 model SOHC EJ25? The 99RS will also allow you to run the 02+ WRX injectors which can be bought second hand much cheaper then the RC engineering ones. You could also get an Impreza L and swap in a 2.2L turbo motor from an old Legacy. That way you can use the 98 model DOHC heads or stick with the orignal Legacy turbo heads.
Actually from what I recall both the 98 & 99's have a lower compression ratio than the 00-01. 9.7:1 compared to the 00&01 that have 10.0:1

Buster

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
Street Tuners said:
As I stated before I am wanting to go down the road less traveled.
You did state that you want to do something different, but you haven't said what yet. If we don't know what you have in mind it's hard to make suggestions. Big-power NA buildup? 00-01 RS, and build up the engine with bits from Cobb. Turbo or supercharger? Maybe a 98 RS, lower compersion than the 00-01, and the MAF on the 98 is much stonger than the one on the 99. Or if you really want to do an engine swap, look around for a 93+ Impreza L. Try to find a 1.8, since it will be cheaper than a 2.2, and you would get rid of the engine, anyways. All the suspension and body stuff for an RS will go onto an L body, AFAIK. Heck, if you want to swap, and have something different, get an Impreza Outback Sport wagon, put the 99-00 front bumper on it (big fogs), and drop in a built 2.2L or 2.5ZL turbo motor with the RS rear LSD:D As you can see, different cars are better suited to different things, so at least give us a hint at which direction you are thinking of going.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am wanting big power with boost and kinda a sleeper. Style with substance really. I am mostly into power and after doing a little research I think AWD is the way to go. Plus being a little different than the crop of ricers driving hondas appeals to me. Dont get me wrong I love Hondas and own a crx right now that I am planning to do a swap into. However I have been having dreams of the AWD.

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
Street Tuners said:
I am wanting big power with boost and kinda a sleeper. Style with substance really. I am mostly into power and after doing a little research I think AWD is the way to go. Plus being a little different than the crop of ricers driving hondas appeals to me. Dont get me wrong I love Hondas and own a crx right now that I am planning to do a swap into. However I have been having dreams of the AWD.
93-97 Impreza L w/ AWD and four-wheel disk brakes w/ABS This shouldn't be more than a few thousand dollars. Then get a Cobb stage 3 block (http://cobbtuning.com/impreza/engineblock3.html), Cobb stage 3 heads (http://cobbtuning.com/impreza/enginehead3.html), Chalak gears (http://www.imprezars.com/chalak.htm), VF22 turbo, WRX top-mount intercooler, and then get good suspension and tires under there to control the power. You can put an RS hood, grill, headlights, front bumper, side skirts, and rear wing to give it the looks of a more expensive RS/WRX. Obviously, there are lots of little parts still needed on top of what I listed, like maybe a stand-alone engine management system, and all the fuel system upgrades. Not going to be cheap going like this, but you will end up with a pretty light car with gobs of tourque and horsepower, and the drivesystem to get it all to the asphalt. Don't know if you want to do this much, but it wil give you the big power and looks you want. Or just go with the same Impreza L I listed, use the RS body parts, and swap a built-up WRX engine into it. Still good power, and probably a bit cheaper than building a big-power engine with Cobb parts. Hope this helps.

·
General pain in the ass
98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
3,962 Posts
i am sorry i didnt read the whole thread so i dont know the details of your project... but i started with a 95. it's a first year they made a 2 door. I stripped it completely, put new engine, new harness, 2000 interior (if you even want interior) and now i got a sleeper :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts