Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my brakes done at this shop...new pads and roaters. THey said everything should be fine so started to drive it down the highway and noticed a smell and it was obviously my brakes so i went back and they told me the caliper had seized. I have 65000 miles on my wrx and my brakes need to be changed but it was not metal against metal. I talked to my friends dad who is a mechanic and he had told me that the shop is just bullshiting me and that my caliper is not seized. My car was fine before hand and i am just wondering if someone has a pic of a seized OPENED caliper vs an unseized caliper. Right now its at the shop waiting to get a new caliper shiped over night. I dont want to spend the money and i dont want to put a nonsubaru part on. I also heard that it is not good to put one new caliber on one side of the car and not the other....Please respond I know this is a mouthfull but i would just like somehelp i dont want to get screwed over...thanks : \

·
Ex-Mooderator
2001 RSTi, 2011 WRX Hatch
3,278 Posts
Siezed vs normal look the same.

The only real way to tell is to pull on the caliper against the rotor and see if you can push the pistons back into the caliper body.

I highly doubt that one of the pistons siezed up after only 65k, as I have over 200k on my calipers and only now rebuilt them, but they never siezed up...

-- Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea that is what i figured but...what should i say to the shop...should i tell them just to put it back together and go down to my friends dads place to have it done or should i just tell them you did it wrong do it again...Honestly im not very assertive and dont like confrontation but i would like to kno what i should say so that it gets done right thanks for the quick response

·
Ex-Mooderator
2001 RSTi, 2011 WRX Hatch
3,278 Posts
If the piston slides back into the caliper, yes.

But there are 2 pistons on the front calipers, so you'll need to put c-clamps on both, so that one doesn't pop out when you compress the other piston.

-- Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts