Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if this is the correct way to install a 3 point seatbelt harness? i don't know if the shoulder straps should go on the outside of the headrest bars, or inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
613 Posts
if you go on the outside, it won't pinch your neck. didja try 'em in traffic? they make it impossible to turn around and check your blind spots. very scary. passenger can enjoy them, though.
( p.s. that's a fourpoint in your pic):)

·
Premium Member
MY98 2.5RS Coupe Brilliant Red
880 Posts
Harnesses like the ones pictured above and other 3,4,5,6 point harnesses really aren't made for regular driving. I can't remember where this discussion was had, but basically harnesses don't let you slide down the seat in the case of something crushing the roof of the car, and hence crushing your head.

Use for track days, auto-x and rally-x and the occasional spirited driving on back roads is fine, but daily use is a bit much. I plan on doing the same (4 point), but the stock belts will be used for daily driving.

And I'd put the straps on the outside of the headrest posts, so it doesn't pinch my neck. I'm not trying to flame, just putting some word out.

AJ

·
Registered
300 Posts
You can get 4 points, i think, that are legal to use on the streets and they allow you to move around just like the stock seatbelts. and then under braking they lockup.
Alex

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
Elite421 said:
You can get 4 points, i think, that are legal to use on the streets and they allow you to move around just like the stock seatbelts. and then under braking they lockup.
Alex
You'd need a full roll cage though because if you rolled the car you would crush your spine when the roof came down on your head. The standard 3-point belts allow your body to fold and prevent this.

·
Registered
300 Posts
So if you got a roll bar then it would be legal? or are roll bars even legal in street cars?

·
Registered
01 2.5RS White - 4EAT
729 Posts
I've got a a 3 point by Schroth that allows you to move freely like a regular seatbelt, but lock up under unsafe conditions.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
i've got corbeau 4 points, along with corbeau seats in my Z- car. they make eveyrthing completely pointless. i can't move at all. if i drop something the harness has to come off, if i want to change the radio station, or change CD's, they have to come off. but, i do love the way they feel on me. i feel completely secure in that car. it's also not a daily driver, so i can't speak about the law. i use it on the weekends and at the track, being that the car is pointless in the snow. ok, i just read my post and i think it was pointless. bah.:)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Schroth makes a DOT approved 3 pt. harness that you can move around while they're on but they'll tighten up like a OEM belt. I'd like to try them out sometime.

ivbdn - Don't you have to wire in a sensor for the pre-tensioner???

Alot of manufacturers are trying to develop 4 pt. harnesses style seat belts for passenger cars but I think you won't see them for a few years (if at all.)

·
Registered
01 2.5RS White - 4EAT
729 Posts
mykrrrr:

There is a sensor that must be hooked up. It's not complicated and doesn't take long to install. I recommend them if the car is a daily driver w/ the occasional auto-x.

·
Registered
470 Posts
If you go with a roll cage, get some good quality roll cage padding and not just foam. A head against a metal roll cage won't feel that good.

Personally, I wouldn't do that unless I'm going full track day car.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
i've got corbeau 4 points, along with corbeau seats in my Z- car. they make eveyrthing completely pointless. i can't move at all. if i drop something the harness has to come off, if i want to change the radio station, or change CD's, they have to come off. but, i do love the way they feel on me. i feel completely secure in that car. it's also not a daily driver, so i can't speak about the law. i use it on the weekends and at the track, being that the car is pointless in the snow. ok, i just read my post and i think it was pointless. bah.:)
wish i still had my Z. :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts