Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Seat belt law is a giant money machine for townships.
Ask lawmakers why 40 million kids can ride a school bus twice a day without seat belts.
What other stupid laws can you think of?

·
Zantrex-3 YES!
15,328 Posts
School buses are public goods provided by the government for public schools and are not subject to the same procedure as market goods sold by firms. Seatbelts are not money machines, they are part of ethics to reduce death in accidents. Should school buses have seatbelts? I think so, as should public buses.

I'd like to see some data on injury/death of children or the general population in event of a bus accident along with how many bus accidents occur. The large majority of school buses do not ride freeways and thus are not subject to the same high speeds of autos which is a reason I don't think they have seatbelts. I feel the governments view/decision is based upon statistical data and the chances of busses being in accidents are so insignificant it is not economically worth spending the money on belts or revamping the old school buses (the majority of which are still in use) from when seatbelt laws were not as stringent.

·
Premium Member
01 Impreza RS Coupe BDP
1,220 Posts
proper seat belt use have been proven to save lives. period.
Airbags can become useless, if not deadly, if not used with seatbelts.

As for the bus issue. I heard a few pro and cons about kids having to wear seat belts. But if the bus gets in an accident with kids strapped in. Then you'll have 20-50 panicing kids trapped in their seats. I don't think a driver will have time to free them all; that's even if the driver isn't panicing or able to help. So it's a toss up. Would you rather have kids trapped in the bus or be potential thrown around like a rag dolls?

·
You can't see me!
bon 12
4,923 Posts
Not a stupid law. Your body becomes a projectile and kills other people. Your ignorance and stupidity kills other people - especially in head on collisions.

I believe there was a study done proving that seat belts in school buses actually did more damage than without

·
Registered
93 Imperza L Ameythst
3,165 Posts
On july 1 a new law goes into effect here in Indiana, everyone has to were seatbelts. It used to be passenger cars and children in the backseats and people that owned trucks or had their SUV's plated as a truck did not have to wear a seatbelt, but now any vehicle you have to wear the seatbelt....BOOOOOOO!. I always wear one in the car and when im driving, but when im in the 350 dually i could care less about putting that thing on, usually cause im hopping in and out of it every 10 minutes in a field or something.

·
Registered
2015 WRX+TE37ta
4,819 Posts
I don't get it... why would you not wear a seatbelt?

Is it cool to not wear it or something? I mean I really can't think of anything stupider to do.

Eh, anybody stupid enough to not wear their seatbelt deserves whatever injury(or worse) they get if they crash. Darwin's Theory, more space on the road for the sensible drivers.

Please... continue to not wear it.

·
Registered
'99 2.5 RS Rally Blue Pearl
937 Posts
i think in va you it is legal to sit in the flatbed (in a pickup of course) as long as you are below the sides and the truck is not on a highway/going over 35 mph.

maybe that's wrong, but maybe at those speeds it is not as important? maybe that is part of the seatbelt in a bus thing?

·
Banned
1,359 Posts
If you're in a field, not on public roads why in the hell would you wear your seatbelt?? Thats an inept analogy. I don't put on my belt to drive through my appt. complex to check my mail.

We're talking about PUBLIC ROADS here folks.

And honestly, I don't care if you don't want to wear it there too, Darwinism FTW anyways. Just be sure that you insurance company charges YOU and ONLY YOU the extra premiums to insure you. But since that won't ever happen, enjoy wearing your seat belts.

And FYI, I support seatbelt use, it's the only thing that saved my sister from a drunk driver.

·
Registered
'99 2.5 RS Rally Blue Pearl
937 Posts
Drakuun said:
If you're in a field, not on public roads why in the hell would you wear your seatbelt?? Thats an inept analogy. I don't put on my belt to drive through my appt. complex to check my mail.
i didn;t think anyone mentioned non public roads, maybe i should re-read

anyway, a kid i went to college with got in an accident previously. the seatbelt probably saved her life, or at least saved her from worse injuries, but in the process it broke a couple of her ribs.

so she sued the manufacturer and they settled out of court. i think that is crappy, mostly because it sounded like nothing was wrong with the car...

·
Banned
1,359 Posts
ride4life32 said:
but when im in the 350 dually i could care less about putting that thing on, usually cause im hopping in and out of it every 10 minutes in a field or something.
Thats what I was referring to.

·
Don't go changin
00' RS
7,795 Posts
Why the hell wouldn't you wear a seatbelt? There's this idiot radio jockey sidekick that gloats about not wearing one like it's cool, but... nobody cares. Are you sticking it the man by doing it? Is it really that much of an inconvenience to buckle it? I just don't understand it.

·
Registered
1999 ver7 coupe
504 Posts
I think I'd call complaining about seatbelt laws natural selection at work.

I honestly just assumed it was mandatory to wear your seatbelt in all vehicles everywhere in north america, as it's been the law here since I was a child. I guess if taxpayers don't fund US healthcare it's not such a big deal for the government to protect people from their own stupidity...

·
You can't see me!
bon 12
4,923 Posts
I feel so naked without a seatbelt on in a car. My car does not move unless everyone is strapped in - I refuse to be the driver of the car where everyone but me died and I also refuse to be killed by the prick behind me who decided not to wear one and then proceeded to lodge his skull into mine during an accident. Fuck that

·
Registered
93 Imperza L Ameythst
3,165 Posts
Aphex28 said:
I don't get it... why would you not wear a seatbelt?

Is it cool to not wear it or something? I mean I really can't think of anything stupider to do.

Eh, anybody stupid enough to not wear their seatbelt deserves whatever injury(or worse) they get if they crash. Darwin's Theory, more space on the road for the sensible drivers.

Please... continue to not wear it.
Well when you live on a farm and you are constantly getting in and out of a truck its a pain in the ass, yea dont give me taht crap of it only takes a second, I mean I have drive 30 feet then get out and back in. I really was just saying that when working on the farm in a farm truck its fine not to wear a seatbelt, but WHEN IM DRIVING IN THE CITY I WEAR IT RELIGIOUSLY!!! I feel much safer in an F350 Dually diesel truck than I do in my impreza,

but hey i understand your angeer for your insurance rates going up, maybe you should take it out on the thiefs who make our cars such a high price to insure in the first place.

·
Banned
1,359 Posts
Imprezas rates are not high because of theft.
When I researched my RS for insurance it was listed on several lists as having a higher 'accident rate' or 'rate of claims for damage' filed. If I recall it was in the top 3 on most of the lists I saw, and #1 in it's class for insurance rates.

Consider this, our cars are extremely rare in the context of the average 4 door sedan on the road. This is another of the reasons why our rates are higher. Lots of younger drivers, lots of damage claims, rarity, and availability of replacement parts.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Wally Kincaid said:
My school busses always had seatbelts. We didn't use em but it was an option.
Did you ride the short bus? Those ones have them?

j/p, but the really do...

I think its a toss up, either the kids are all buckled down, or they fly around. 2 or 3 weeks ago, I saw a bus on the freeway on the way home. Looked like the backend exploded. It was on fire for sure, and blew some windows out. But every kid was able to get out, and not one person was hurt. They were about 8-11 years old

If they were buckled, theres a MUCH higher chance one of them could have gotten hurt. Luckily, nobody was, I saw on the news

1 - 20 of 25 Posts