Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
00 RS, 99 fozzy & 04 rex
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a my00 2.5 rs (38,500miles) and i installed a bosel/brospeed/SPT exhasut. it seems to me that the car is now backfiring between some shifts or when there is throttle lift. it isn't very loud but it is noticeable...another thing is i think the car is runnign kinda rich becasue they is soo much soot on the exhasut tip is t rediculous.
is that normal for a scooby? my altima never had soot (carbon build up) on the exhaust like that and it has 140,000 mile on it

can anyone give me a few ideas of what to do?

H

·
0 Posts
Buy a can of stainless steel polish. :(
I've got the brospeed exhaust and Cobb intake and I get lift-throttle backfires almost every shift when I'm getting on the gas. Sometimes it'll do it when I'm just putzing along. Sometimes I get a rather huge backfire underneath my feet, like an injector gets stuck spraying through the exhaust stroke and it ignites inside the cat. :eek:

I've heard that it's pretty common. s-afc might bandaid it, but the best solution is to get a tec-II or some other fuel management computer to replace the stock ECU. I'll live with a dirty exhaust tip and backfires before I drop a couple grand on a fuel computer.

·
Registered
2001 STM Sedan
455 Posts
well our cars get them no matter what...i hear em all the time it's just the way the exhaust gasses converge in the pipes....the factory header/manifold is double wall stainless so you don't hear ti too much but with an aftermarket exhaust i could see it getting pretty loud. and the WOT map on our cars is EXCESSIVELY rich so an S-AFC would allow you to adjust the A/F Ratio to a better overall setting.

·
Registered
00 RS, 99 fozzy & 04 rex
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks fellas!:happynow:
now i really don't feel so bad..i was looking inot getting a S-AFC
but like everything else it is just more money....

·
Registered
2001 STM Sedan
455 Posts
Xian said:
thanks fellas!:happynow:
now i really don't feel so bad..i was looking inot getting a S-AFC
but like everything else it is just more money....
i agree with the money part.,..the S-AFC will really only help WOT cause the WOT map gets SUPER rich and i am talking POWER killing rich. as for daily driving i feel the ECU will learn around it, but like you said EVERYTHING is more money.

H

·
0 Posts
Andrew said:
you can lean it out other ways without upsetting the ECU. and have it work during idle all the way up to WOT.
OK mr. smartypants, care to elaborate?? :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
i had the same problem with my scoobysport cat back untill i installed a fuel pump and regulator. "it pretty much solved the problem."

:D

·
Registered
00 RS, 99 fozzy & 04 rex
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yo iron mans well ia m interested in knowing what the deal is with how you cured it with your fuel pump and regulator.

·
Registered
No Subie to see here, carry on
119 Posts
This has been covered before as most cars with a free flowing exhaust will pop a little. The fuel is a little rich right when you let off the throttle. With the stock exhaust, it still does it, but all the silincers and restrictive pipes silence it.

For more fun, take off the cat and watch it shoot flameballs out the pipe. :D

Chad
93 1.8T

·
Registered
174 Posts
POP! THWACK!

For more fun, take off the cat and watch it shoot flameballs out the pipe.
Removing the cat with stock exhaust/headers/midpipe will shoot fireballs out?

My exhaust is still bone stock and i get get lift pops all the time. I've always wondered how loud they are. If i can hear it over the radio in the car, then.... :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts