Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· The Thread Stopper
11 WRX, Matte black
6,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we just returned from a family trip to Wisconsin. On our drive back, we went past the Subaru plant near Lebanon, IN. That place is huge! I've been pretty close to the Hyundai plant in Montgomery, AL, so I'm not over-exaggerating. Then there was a secondary building further down the freeway.

I am curious, has anyone has taken a tour of this facility?

· Registered
93 Imperza L Ameythst
3,985 Posts
Its a pretty cool plant, tours are hard to get on to though. Its actually closer to Lafayette than Lebannon. I live in Indianapolis and Lebanon is about 15 mintues from me and the SOI plant is up by the purdue exit 170 something. I am thinking of signing up for the challenge, but I need to get a new windshield before that happens

· Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
4,104 Posts
I've been by there quite often on the way to Indianapolis, but never had the time to stop. Now that I know they may give tours, I'll have to stop by!

· Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
9,088 Posts
^^^ Depends on finances. Things are tight for me this year and the added event will surely put a hurtin' on me. I will try my damnest though!!!!!

It would be extra sweet for my codriver to bring the DSP car "home". His car (pre production #011) sat behind the plant for 2 years before it was offered up and bought by a manager, set up for STS, won the national title and then sold to us.

· The Thread Stopper
11 WRX, Matte black
6,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
shut up, the brewery is like 3 miles from me!
I will not silence myself!! ;)

I've been a fan of the beer since I first had one eight or so years ago. My wife's family lives in Chetek and Eau Claire. Pretty state, but a bit too much farm land for me. Definitely planning on another vacation there, perhaps in the spring when there's less flying creatures.

· Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
13,557 Posts
I've been to Wisconsin a couple times; used to live in eastern Iowa and my wife had to go up there for grad school. We went to a small town called Horicon and talk about in the middle of nowhere! What's weird is that country roads use letters instead of numbers. We were actually on "HHH" at one point. :lol:

We went to TireRack in Indiana, that was sweet. But no I've not been to SoA.

· The Thread Stopper
11 WRX, Matte black
6,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As well you should be. :p
:D

Well, we were in her FXT. My wife's a pretty good driver. It amazes me still that people are surprised she drives a manual. Regardless, there are times on a 8+ hour road trip where she has to take over and let me get some rest.

· Registered
93 Imperza L Ameythst
3,985 Posts
^^isnt it nice to have a gf that knows how to drive 5sp so she can take it over after about 10 hours of driving to give you an 1hr break. I remember my last gf (current roomate) could drive my car real good, better than my friends, but Ive only let a few people drive it. Usually she takes a bus to my work to pick my car up from my work to take it home when I go on business cause I hate leaving it at my work bunch of theives in that neighborhood.

· Registered
1998 Impreza 2.5 RS
69 Posts
What is the Subie Challenge in August at the factory in Lafayette, IN??? Anyone know of a website that posts this info or anything?

My 99 Isuzu Rodeo was actually manufactured at this plant as well (attached a pic).

I work as a Senior Technical Recruiter here in Indianapolis, IN and my company places Engineers & Technical professionals with our clients on contract & direct basis. The Subaru plant is actually a client of mine and I work with the HR Manager when ever she has any needs for staffing. I have been to the plant and on a brief tour by her...

· Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
13,557 Posts
Oh yeah, we passed Tirerack on the way up. My wife actually pointed it out to me (I was driving)!
Place is huge, huh? :)

I met Luke there, in 2002. I think it was April, we were on the way home to IA and I picked up a set of Dunlop SP9000 tires. You could park jets in those garages; really sweet.

· Registered
2001 BRP RS Coupe 5spd
235 Posts
I've be going on the Lafayette plant tour coming up... here is the email about the event!

" SUBARU OF INDIANA (SIA) TOUR

It’s our dedication to easing the burden on the environment with our zero landfill manufacturing plant in Indiana –the first ever auto plant to achieve this status.Or maybe it’s about giving you capable, safe Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive with every one of our vehicles. And the reliability and performance of the SUBARU BOXER® engines. Anyway you look at it, there’s a lot to love about Subaru. To celebrate “The A Lot to Love Event,” going on now through September 2, we're offering a tour of our Subaru plant.

As featured on CNBC and in the Green Car Journal, the Subaru plant in Lafayette, IN is doing something no other plant can claim....nothing. That is, in addition to manufacturing the Legacy, Outback, and Tribeca, Subaru contributes absolutely "nothing" from its manufacturing operations to a landfill. You may have seen our commercials about the plant, now here's your chance to come see for yourself at the second annual consumer tour. You'll get special access to Subaru representatives and learn not only how Subaru vehicles are made, but also how no waste is generated from the manufacturing operations.

The building's 2,966,179 square feet houses 10.7 miles of conveyors on 820 acres of land that includes a backyard that has been designated a wildlife habitat. This exclusive event for Subaru owners will feature a 30-minute presentation from Subaru representatives, a 60-minute guided tour of the plant and engine shop, followed by a unique chance to check out and take a ride around our test track in the entire 2009 Subaru model lineup.

There are only two tours scheduled and attendance is limited to the first 100 Subaru owners that R.S.V.P. Don't miss it!"

I can't wait to ride in an 09 STi :rolleyes4

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.