Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searching for a project car but prices are really high at the moment. Are salvage cars worth looking at. Maybe something with mechanical damage? somones unfinshed project would be nice too

·
Registered
54 Posts
Salvage cars are fine. Ultimately it comes down to how the repair was done and what the actual damage is. I've had a salvage car before that ran great so there are always deals to be had. Also with it being a salvage title, that means more bargaining power on your side to get a better deal since most general consumer tend to avoid these type of cars.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Even cars without salvage titles have been in accidents. So long as you don't see any thing glaringly wrong with it, it works out in your favor.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
474 Posts
Salvage titles can be a bitch depending on what state you live in. I looked in to purchasing a 14' WRX hatch with a salvage title a while back. The vehicle had some cosmetic damage to hood, bumper cover, and fender - no structural damage. But getting said vehicle past NY vehicle recertification and then having a "rebuilt" title is a nightmare. Just to give you a peak inside this process, even after repair and having the car able to be driven under it's own power, the car cannot be registered and driven to an inspection site (scheduling that is super fun too!) but must be towed / flat bedded to said site and back. Needless to say I didn't purchase said car due to the logistical nightmare of re-certification. Just some food for thought.

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,791 Posts
I'd totally drive a fixed salvage title car. But imagine buying one and dropping $10k+ or whatever to do your swap. You will struggle to sell it for what the non-salvage title cars are going for.

If that matters to you.

Reactions: Hawk

·
Registered
40 Posts
salvage titles only hurt you when you go to sell the vehicle, but if you are the proverbial last stop for a car.. then who cares? I wrecked my legacy about 8 years ago, and the insurance totaled it. i bought it back, popped the dents out and it was fine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'd totally drive a fixed salvage title car. But imagine buying one and dropping $10k+ or whatever to do your swap. You will struggle to sell it for what the non-salvage title cars are going for.

If that matters to you.
Not to go Off Topic, but did you get my PM guy? I dont know if my messages are going though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts