Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Santa came early!
Took delivery of all of the previous parts (thanks expedited shipping).
Auto part Gas Bumper Plastic Packing materials

Going to clean up/degrease the crossmemeber, and order the bushings this weekend.

In other news, I tried to bleed the brakes on the car, took one step on the pedal, and the master cylinder seized in place, about halfway down the pedal throw. So I'm going to tear that down tonight, inspect the 4-port body for damage, and if there is none, reassemble it with the guts of another 1-1/16 MC (2 port) I have laying around. If there is damage to the 4-port body, I might just use the 2-port MC and tee the brake lines.
Other than that, I had one or two too many beverages last evening and bought an interesting BOV from Japan. It's shipping now, and I'll update with it later. It seems to resolve an issue that I was going to run into in the future (based on research here and NAISOC), but hadn't gotten to yet. lol

Making good progress, trying to get a lot of stuff done before a hard due date next month.

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
The car looks nice. Looks like it's well taken care of.
Thanks! I like to think so. Based on some of the existing issues with the car, I don't think it was always cared for, but as long as it's been in my care, I'm trying to treat her well lol
All new brake system, all new steering, semi-used suspension (pffft; what're you gonna do) lol trying to make the best of it

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
JDM goodness was delivered today. Per some research on the TMIC (05 STi) I got, and was planning on running, the stock recirc/bov setup ran a good chance of having a clearance issue with the hood. However, luckily, I was intoxicated browsing the parts section of Upgarage one night, and found that the company SARD had come up with a perfect solution to the problem I hadn't arrived to yet. lol Either way, it should work for now; or I'll find out during the swap that my pre-emptive correction was money well wasted. lol
Valve Wood Gas Plumbing fitting Plumbing valve
Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Gas Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Automotive design Bumper Motor vehicle
Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Bumper Composite material Gas

I will say, I haven't heard a lot of information on the company SARD, so this is going to be an adventure for me. lol

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Alright, so I'm a bit disappointed right now, since I ordered the sway bars I will need for the subframe swap, however they won't get here in time for boxerfest. So it looks like I won't be able to have the quick rack and other goodies on until after the fact, which is a little disheartening, but it is what it is.
In other news, I ordered some fk heim joints to replace the godspeed ones in the rear trailing arms I bought a while back, as I heard that they were cheap junk hardware (the godspeed ones) that are prone to failure. However the threads ended up not being correct (3/4-8 and 3/4-10 if I was guessing), and I figured I'd wing it. So now I'm in the process of making my own adapter, so we'll see how that goes.
I also ordered new bulbs for the hvac system, as they have never illuminated since I owned the car. Not the biggest deal, but I think it's the 3rd-to-last lighting issue I have to sort for the time being. Considering these bulbs (each is smaller than the nail on my pinky finger) was over $6/piece, I think Subaru thinks they're pretty proud of the things. Oh well. They should be here this week.

I degreased the motor this morning, and am working on buttoning a few things up before the 26th. Wish me luck

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
193 Posts
I feel your pain on the backordered parts. I'm still waiting on a downpipe and turbo for my build. The goal was to have it done by Boxerfest, but I'm not sure that will happen. Good luck!

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Does this look like $20 worth of bulbs? Subaru thinks so lol
Liquid Health care Fluid Gesture Finger

Either way, at least my lights are functional again. I tried to get a good picture, of the off/on, but it was 3pm and I can only get my garage so dark.
Gas Electric blue Auto part Clock Rim
Motor vehicle Gas Audio equipment Machine Center console

I feel your pain on the backordered parts. I'm still waiting on a downpipe and turbo for my build. The goal was to have it done by Boxerfest, but I'm not sure that will happen. Good luck!
Yea, I was trying to get my swap done, which at one time was possible, but not looking likely. Life gets in the way, and the parts being on delay really throws the monkey wrench in there. Will you still be able to get your car there, or are the parts going to keep the car in the garage?

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Well, this is not where I would have liked my car to be the week before Boxerfest, but as an update:
The car has new sway bars front/rear with solid endlinks. The sti steering rack is in, with the turbo crossmember for the swap (soon) HOWEVER, I am missing some of the power steering lines to make it work properly. So, I will be ordering and expediting shipping on some key parts that I need to get my car done this week. I will not have much time to actually drive the car and get a feel for it before next sunday. Wish me luck, and hopefully I have the time to update this thread before then
RwS
Picture update:

Sky Car Vehicle Tire Plant

Old (top) v. New (bottom)
Bicycle part Grass Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Auto part

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Tire Sky Wheel Car Vehicle

Sky Car Road surface Vehicle Asphalt

Well, after a week of working on the car every night, and throwing money at it, I did finally make it to boxerfest. I had a good day with a few runs on the course and I only left with a broken exhaust, power steering pump, and brake master cylinder. Overall, it was a victory in my book. lol Had a good time hanging out with some friends, and one of them even placed in the show.

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Now that it's getting colder, I'm looking to get the ej22t on a stand and start doing some maintenance stuff before it goes in this coming spring. In the meantime, I need to clean out some garage space so that I have some room. Since I'm in limbo for a bit, I figured I would do some car-cheology by removing some paint to expose the carbon on the front. I started with the vents just to see what condition it was in, so if it wasn't good, I could just respray the small bits.
Grille Hood Automotive lighting Finger Bumper
Tableware White Wood Font Flooring

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
How did you get the paint off? It came out great, I'd like to copy your methods.
Thanks! That is from lots and lots of wet sanding. Lol I used some 220 paper I had around, and kept working at it by hand. So those pictures were taken while it's wet to show what it will look like when it's re-cleared.

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Well, I haven't done much since boxerfest. Between the holidays, hunting season, and my general laziness I haven't had the gumption to make any of the necessary repairs. However a buddy of mine got me inspired to get back to work, so I bought a felpro gasket kit for the ej22t that should be here on Thursday, and we'll be swapping the engine assuming there are no questionable findings while doing the gaskets/timing. Timing belt kit and rrfpr are in the mail as well.
It's a bit daunting to take an engine you know runs out, and put in an engine you have no history on in it's place. lol But we're in this, so lets run it.

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Needed to get a new phone, and found some old photos a friend of mine took. Thought I'd add them to the thread just for some SnG's:

Wheel Tire Car Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Vehicle Car Gear shift Speedometer Motor vehicle

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Automotive side marker light

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Plant

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Pulled the ej18 out of the car, and have the ej22t on a stand next to it. The "just swap the intake over" is a lie lol

I'm currently swapping all of the sensors and such between the two engines, but am currently trying to figure out what to do with the wiring. The ej18 intake harness has the plugs right next to the stock turbo location. It seems to me having your engine wiring next to the hotside of the turbo is no bueno, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to reroute the wiring away from the little whirly boy/fire hazard.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts