Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, long time lurker before finally purchasing a black 1998 Impreza L Coupe a little after high school. Loved the car to death until it met it's end fighting an immovable object. Spent a (long) couple years without a GC before deciding that I needed one again. On one Thursday evening in November of 2018, I was drinking and browsing this forum where I saw a listing in Seattle Wa for a green '95 coupe. Send the owner a message, talked on the phone for a bit, I sent him a down payment via Paypal and bought a plane ticket. The following Monday morning I was landing in Seattle to pick up the car, and the owner picked me up from the airport. After a short drive to a place to get the title transferred, the car was mine, and I began my lengthy trip back to Pa, hopefully in time for Thanksgiving. This car is to be restored, and enjoyed as a weekend vehicle from this point forward.

Current setup

Exterior:
Unknown front/rear spats with matching skirts
Mid-rise RS spoiler
Carbon Fiber Hood
Aftermarket pop-up sunroof

Interior:
On it's way back to as stock as possible
SVX radio delete plate
Unknown year WRX driver/passenger seats
NRG quick release
Nardi ND Classic steering wheel

Handing:
1995 Legacy 15x6 wheels, powdercoated gunmetal grey
Toyo Proxis R1R 205/50r15
Stock front/rear brakes
JDM pink springs and struts
RS rear sway bar, stock front

Engine/Trans:
Stock EJ18
Stock 5-speed

I'm looking to build myself something that's period correct, while still enjoyable to drive. I'm looking forward to updating things as I go. This is my first forum build thread, so please bare with me.
Summer 2020:
FB-3117.jpg

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The trip home was quite interesting. It was my second cross country trip (last one was from San Diego to Pa), this time I hit most of the top of the continental US. The only hickup was that the throw out bearing started making a noise somewhere around the end of Montana. When I got home, the engine was promptly pulled (personal PR, 2hr to have the engine out) and the throw out bearing was replaced.

Photos from the trip:
Snapchat-610380730.jpg
Snapchat-996038499.jpg
Snapchat-706780844.jpg

First photo: just after car was technically mine
Second photo: Fuel stop, time to get some celebratory grub, and to stretch my legs.
Third photo: Waking up in Montana was a bit crisp! (but beautiful)

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Modifications since ownership: (trying to compile a lot of the old photos I have saved, missing some things)

Since owning the car, I have done some very basic maintenance as well as a few subtle modifications.

Painted the door handles/mirrors and RS spoiler (not pictured):
IMG_20201004_181958_01.jpg
IMG_20201004_152531_01.jpg

Bought a set of wheels for $60 and had them powdercoated and wrapped in new sneakers: (Before/After)
IMG_20190308_204022891.jpg
5816327391.jpg

Removed the aftermarket Pioneer Head unit, replacing with factory. (Still working on finding the correct plugs)
Snapchat-1377795540.jpg

Again, I'm trying to return it to period correct.

Going forward:
I picked up an EJ22T engine from a 1992 Leg Sdn off Craigslist, it came with the ECU/extras, so this will hopefully be going in this year.
IMG_20200725_104231249.jpg

New Wheel setup imported from Japan directly, should clear Subaru 4-pots, to go on this year as well:
IMG_20201102_144937626.jpg

And for anyone who has gotten this far, a BONUS AutoX photo!
IMG_20191004_081104_168.jpg

Thanks to anyone who has gotten this far, and I look forward to updating this thread as my car grows. I'd like to have something that I can look back on and reference.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
100 Posts
Really cool story. I'm glad you posted it, and I'm glad you found another one after your first one. Look forward to the updates!

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
846 Posts
Green Coupe Mafia! Nice job scoring that EJ22T, I'm jealous! I have to recommend looking into swapping DOHC heads onto the shortblock, big gains even with stock internals...

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I actually have 2 EJ22T's; one that's torn down to be built up for my SG Forester, and the complete one shown above to be put into my Impreza in semi-stock form. I think the Impreza is only going to get a TD04, larger injectors/fuel pump, and possibly an intercooler.

Today's update, finally got my passenger side hood pin put back in. After removing the xenon headlights (eBay specials? previously installed when I purchased the car) and going back to stock headlights, the pin was too long and wouldn't fit. So today I trimmed it down, reinstalled it and we're back to good! Watching the carbon fiber hood flex and move while driving makes me a little uneasy. lol

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
846 Posts
My carbon fiber hood used to jump all over the place even after I reversed the scoop. No amount of adjusting the rubber stoppers and latch helped. I ended up putting some gasket material on the hood to seal it against the headlights and radiator brace, now it's dead still even at triple digit speeds! I'll try to get ya some pics later. It really have me a lot of peace of mind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Congratulations! Glad you made a safe trip across the country. You are definitely braver than I am.

Do you know what brand hood you have or SoCoNoHa, what type do you have? I'm in the market to pick a hood up right now and would appreciate any advice on that front.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
846 Posts
I have a VIS Racing carbon fiber hood, stamped "95 WRX" underneath. Love it to death, it's just so light. I haven't tried to swap scoops or vents around so not sure of fitment but scoops look real close to factory/aftermarket.

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My hood doesn't have any designators on it other than "IMPREZA" near the hood latch, and a placard with some kanji and a number on it in the strip between the hood scoop and the windshield wipers. I know that doesn't really help. lol I'll try to get some pictures in the next couple days.

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This morning I went to the junkyard and got a period correct grill, but got home and threw it in just to find that the headlights are different between the two! So I'll probably go back next weekend and pull the headlights as well. It's nice to have 3 out of the 4 first gen grill styles, just for the swap-ability in the future depending on my moods. lol

In other news, I got my front brake setup delivered this weekend. Ordered some remanufactured 06 wrx 4 pot front brakes because they'll clear my TE07's, along with some Powerstop rotors and pads. They'll be installed this spring with a disc swap in the rear (off of my last impreza), stainless steel braided lines front/rear, and a non-abs SVX master cylinder (all not pictured)
IMG_20210109_145316_01.jpg

Bonus picture of the car a couple months back when I was out for a day of adventuring, with the spoiler and such done/installed.
IMG_20201026_114327538_HDR (1).jpg

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some pictures from my old '98 Impreza (RIP), if anyone's interested. A lot of the parts that I put on this car have either already gone onto my '95, or will be going on at some point in the future.
The day I bought it and drove it home from Virginia:
Screenshot_20200708-224556.png

Random car meet:
IMG_20200419_163424.jpg

A picture of it with the Hella lights, one of my favorite mods (had to drift-stitch my custom mudflaps back together too lol):
IMG_20200419_163447.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts