Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

121 - 140 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
1996 imp jdm ej20 NA dohc swap
400 Posts
Guys,

I have an idea that I am about to test probably sometime next week/3rd week of April. If it does what I am thinking it will be a great solution for us NA people wanting to run a gd catback like an 02-05 wrx catback exhast on our gc/gf cars.

Will update once I have the pieces and test fit everything:D

·
anti vw.anti rota.
2000 GF, 2012 Ruckus
6,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Guys,

I have an idea that I am about to test probably sometime next week/3rd week of April. If it does what I am thinking it will be a great solution for us NA people wanting to run a gd catback like an 02-05 wrx catback exhast on our gc/gf cars.

Will update once I have the pieces and test fit everything:D
If its a cat delete pipe that is longer and had a rotated rear flange, its been done. If its a piece that bolts in between the OEM cat section and GD catback, then its been done. But Im curious about your idea.

·
anti vw.anti rota.
2000 GF, 2012 Ruckus
6,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
I've tried searching this but does anyone know if a GC catback fit a GD without problems?
Well if a GD has to be rotated to fit a GC...it'll be the same for GC to GD...you'll just need to rotate the opposite direction and if it's turbo, shorten.

·
Registered
1995 Impreza Outback
43 Posts
Anybody have a video of how the GD would sound? I looked in the official exhaust thread but cant find it anything. I just bolted some UEL's to my car and want it to be a little bit louder...all i have is a gay little cherry bomb turbo muffler cuz I was broke when I first got it. I just needed something other than the god awful straitpipe that was turning out the side of the car...

·
Registered
2001 2.5RS SRP sedan
593 Posts
My Uel is causing a terrible cackle/rasp at 2500 that doesn't go away. I first heard it thru my Wrx muffler because it resonated inside it. It rattled the baffles badly. I was too embarrassed by that noise so I never made a vid of my exhaust. Now that my muffler broke, Im running around open mid pipe while I find a new sti muffler.

The noise is even worse at 2500rpm, which means its definitely not from the muffler itself. I need to find a way to cancel that noise cuz not even a stock muffler will get rid of it.

·
Registered
1995 Impreza Outback
43 Posts
So question. I've looked everywhere and cant find it. I have a 1.8 with just the eBay UEL's and they sound pretty good. Stock cat, and a customish midpipe with a Cherry Bomb turbo muffler. Lame I know but i had no choice. My friend literally gave me a WRX catback so I know I gotta get it fabbed up a little. Think it would be deeper or louder with the WRX exhaust or should I do something else? Iv'e looked through the entire "which exhaust should I get" thread and found nothing...anybody running this? Or where can I find a sound clip?

·
Registered
2001 2.5RS SRP sedan
593 Posts
Just thought I'd check in with a new update

I just picked up a 3" b&b ("billy boat" brand) triflo catback. Obviously I was worried that I'd lose bottom end power going to a 3". I knew the exhaust would bolt right up, so that worked out great and only took me about 15 minutes. My car is already setup with an Oem sti cat, my adapter piece is actually between the header and let's me run the gd cat too. So the bolt spacing on the 3" catback lined up perfectly with the Oem sti cat which was a great relief. The stock donut was still in one piece and the catback lined up and went about halfway down the margin of the donut. The seal is almost perfect. The tiny leak it has should just work itself out as the donut meshes with the new 3" opening.

Most importantly, it Sounds AMAZING. This is the best sounding n/a I've ever heard. This is about as close to the typical turbo boxer noise as I could expect to get. The 3" really mellowed out the tone. The 2.25" of the sti exhaust was very bright and raspy sounding. Now, anything under 3500 is deep and burbling just like an sti.

And honestly, I didn't really notice much of a loss in low end Tq. I don't think any losses are that big of a deal since the short Rs gearing allows the car to still pull down low easily. All I'm missing is the actual turbo whistle from the exhaust.

Long story short: don't write off a 3" catback! I recommend the switch 100%!

·
anti vw.anti rota.
2000 GF, 2012 Ruckus
6,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
I doubt anyone will ever have the measurements for this, as I sold my car that had this adapter on it a few years ago. Supers (if he's even still around) would be the only other person that I know of that might have the measurements.

If you are planning on tackling this project, I would suggest buying the parts you need, weld one of the flanged onto one end of your adapter piping, mock it up, cut the piping to the desired size, then tac on your second flange, disassemble and finish welding it all together. Otherwise, take your car to a shop. My local shop, Outback Automotive, only charged me ~$70 to make this adapter, as well as weld a crack in my header.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza 2.5Rs wagon
42 Posts
I don't have that luxury unfortunately because I'm trading exhausts and my cat section is stainless.
I was just hoping someone had the angle so I can make the pipe tomorrow at work before I try to swap exhausts

·
anti vw.anti rota.
2000 GF, 2012 Ruckus
6,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
I don't have that luxury unfortunately because I'm trading exhausts and my cat section is stainless.
I was just hoping someone had the angle so I can make the pipe tomorrow at work before I try to swap exhausts
Run your car open cat to your work, then mock it up.

·
Registered
1998 L Coupe: "The Shitliner"
85 Posts
So this is getting a good bump. I found a local STI catback and was wondering how well it would sound with UELs on a 2.2. I have been reading quite a few posts saying the STI rattles and is raspy on an N/A. Just looking for people's first hand thoughts. Here is a picture, I'm not too up to date on GD exhaust, but that's a resonator not a cat at the front there, correct?

·
the hard way
1972 240Z
10,462 Posts
^ if you have stock cats and an OEM midpipe i think it sounds pretty good. there are some videos of similar setups on RSs in the 'which exhaust should i get" thread

funny, i just welded up a GD catback (STi midpipe, GD RS axle back) Sunday to put on the rallyx slut outback. hoping to bolt it up tonight

for those asking what angle to change, youre going to be better off just cutting and measuring for yourself period. otherwise youre just going to end up with something that doesnt fit quite right.

121 - 140 of 147 Posts