Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
anti vw.anti rota.
2000 GF, 2012 Ruckus
6,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
So I see all the time people wanting to run GD turbo exhausts and such on our GC/GM/RS's. Everyone tells them "yes, they will fit, however you will need to extend the midpipe and rotate a flange for it to fit." Everytime I read this, I think "why? then you can't re-sell it later?"

That brings me to this post, I'm sure a lot of you have figured this out and done it, but I would just like to put it out there for EVERYONE. Have an adapter made that will bolt up to your stock cat section AND the GD exhaust. That way down the road when you get tired of the catback or decide to go turbo, you don't wont have a problem selling or reusing your existing catback.

What are your guys' thoughts on this? Has anyone else done this besides me? Am I just over-thinking this a bit?

To illustrate this, my exhaust set up *my adapter is twice as long as yours should be! use this as an illustration ONLY please.*:
adapter

unchanged catback

measurements:
cat-adapter flange: 2.5"
piping: 2.5" stainless steel with taper to 3"
adapter-catback flange: 3"
I don't know too much about the flanges except that they are 2 bolt flanges (obviously). Next time I remove my exhaust, I can take actual measurements of the bolt holes if needed.
Ill also see if I can't measure how long the actual adapter is as well tomorrow.

*reason why MY adapter is twice as long as any of yours should be, is the catback I am running is a 3 piece design which has the taper its own separate piece. I just removed this taper section, and extended my adapter.*

Mods can feel free to move/edit this post if needed.

·
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
I just had a custom midpipe made, my axle back didn't come with a midpipe or I would have gone your route.

If anyone does do this, you might want to think about using flex pipe instead of a solid pipe, so that the exhaust can move like its supposed to.

·
Registered
99 rs
349 Posts
wow you beat me to what i had wanted to do...lol...if i wasnt working on rustoration atm, i woulda already started making them...=/

·
Registered
1999 Rally Bluuuuuu
1,361 Posts
Someone that works at an exhaust shop should make some of these and sell them to the DIYers here on the board. It would keep us from having to go to a muffler shop and having them hack up our stuff.

I know I'd buy one...

·
The Silverback Mod
05 Black OBS
8,896 Posts
This is now a sticky!

Thanks Tim. I now have a place to merge the next 50 threads started on this topic! :D

...and Joshua, I don't want to hear any lip from you! ;)

·
Registered
Aspen white 00 RS, WRB 03 WRX
797 Posts
I'd take one. Only thing is that I'd need the correct size flanges on each side as I'm going to be running a Cobb EL header along with the WRX midpipe (I believe the flange on the high flow cat that came with the midpipe is larger than the cat flange, but I'm not 100% sure).

·
Premium Member
96 GF4 " Bruiser"
3,540 Posts
wow. you need to take that back off and share the specs! i know i went through hell making mine work.

·
Registered
2004 Aspen White WRX
331 Posts
so just to clarify, you are only talking about the turbo exhaust then correct?
I have an issue cus I have a 2002 (GD) 2.5RS. Will a catback made for a 99 RS fit mine with no moddification. (im talking about N/A exhaust).

·
Registered
impreza base!
780 Posts
wouldn't you run into the problem of running too big of an exhaust on NA then? (given we're talking catback and not just axleback)
I was reading on the honda forums and the H22 guys have dyno proven charts that there 2.2 motors found gains in a 3inch exhaust over the 2.25 and 2.5.

the B series 1.6 and 1.8 motors were to small and 3inches is to big for that small of a motor. with that said.

I bet the 2.5 could see some nice gains with a 3inch exhaust

·
The Silverback Mod
05 Black OBS
8,896 Posts
so just to clarify, you are only talking about the turbo exhaust then correct?
I have an issue cus I have a 2002 (GD) 2.5RS. Will a catback made for a 99 RS fit mine with no moddification. (im talking about N/A exhaust).

This sticky is dedicated to the WRX muffler adapted to a N/A engined RS. This is asked about almost EVERY week.

Pease stay on topic. There is plenty of material to help you already posted here ~ search, read and learn...

·
Registered
05' Silver RS
686 Posts
I was thinking about this a little while back and I thought it was a perfect Item for Supers to make to go with his cat pipes.

·
anti vw.anti rota.
2000 GF, 2012 Ruckus
6,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OH I MADE A STICKY! :banana:

haha glad to see everyone liked me idea, and to see some have already thought about this! I can take it off and get specs for anyone who needs it, since I am selling my Espelir anyway.

I think if any vendors do decide to make a run of these that would be awesome!

1 - 20 of 147 Posts