Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

This car fell into my hands a few weeks ago and myself and the owner have been slowly getting up to speed with the car and have started to prep it for literally any type of racing we can afford to do. There are so many things wrong with the car that I know about, no firewall, no fuel cell, the Corsa seats haven't been purchased yet, no padding on the cage and so on. Don't bother pointing that stuff out to me. And don't point any fingers at me for the styling of this car lol, I am not responsible for THAT!

I'm looking for more of an overall idea of what this car is capable of. At this point we have no interest in winning anything or being competitive, I just want to put on a firesuit and get this thing sideways. From reading the Rally of America Rules book it seems like this cage is not up to spec. Its connected to the chassis at 6 points. I have no information on what type of material was used. As you can see from the pictures, its a mostly complete STI swap.

I'm not being totally lazy, once I have some information on where I can drive this car I will figure out exactly what class the car belongs in. For now just trolling for feedback on this car.

http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/TMFilms/R-STi Pics/

Thanks for any help!

·
aka RFoy2.5RS-T
98 RS
1,707 Posts
What type of racing are you looking to get into? You can do road racing autocross rally type stuff time attack. Some of the stuff you'll be able to run without a cage and the stuff that you do need a cage for probably won't pass that cage.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
first choice is rally or rally-x, but we will do almost anything, Also interested in Time Attack type track events...

·
aka RFoy2.5RS-T
98 RS
1,707 Posts
first choice is rally or rally-x, but we will do almost anything, Also interested in Time Attack type track events...
Be ready to spend some money for track time if you want to go that way. expect to spend around $300 to step foot on the track. I'd love to build a time attack car but I can't afford the track fees

·
The Dash Flocker!
00 GF, 04 Jetta TDi
3,791 Posts
Rallycross would be OK with some SFI padding on the cage, but you'll never pass tech with that cage for any stage rally, NASA, Rally America or otherwise. You'd have to cut it out and start fresh.
Maybe tracks and hillclimbs would be OK with a diagonal tube within the main hoop.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeah, track time is not cheap. I do alot of track days and it costs me alot $$$.
Expect $200-350 a track day, depending on the track. Limerock will cost you over $300 where as you can get into a 2 day watkins glen event for $450.

I see you are in NY, if you want to get involved in track days for our area (Watkins Glen, Limerock, NHMS, and many others) PM and I can help point you in the right direction.

Not sure if that cage is ok on the track. I know it won't let you do any wheel to wheel racing on the track but HPDE's might be ok with some clubs.

Bring the car to a shop with some knowledge on cages and ask them to look at it.

·
The Dash Flocker!
00 GF, 04 Jetta TDi
3,791 Posts
Bring the car to a shop with some knowledge on cages and ask them to look at it.
Good Idea!
If you want, you're fairly close to the shop I'm working at in Union City NJ (NYC area) so you can bring it by and I will look at the cage for you. we can drill a test hole to gauge thickness of the material as well.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good Idea!
If you want, you're fairly close to the shop I'm working at in Union City NJ (NYC area) so you can bring it by and I will look at the cage for you. we can drill a test hole to gauge thickness of the material as well.
thanks! I was actually going to head out to NJ at some point within the next month to go to Mid Atlantic Trading to check out some suits and seats in person. Sparco steering wheel too. They are in New Egypt, NJ you must have heard of them.

Ya i know track time is expensive but I can get on with local motor clubs and know people at Lime Rock Park and NJ Motorsports. I can get on for free from time to time I'm sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts