Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
281 - 287 of 287 Posts

·
Registered
'00 2.5RS Coupe
16 Posts
Hey, sorry for delay. Didn't realize you asked a question until I checked the website. I have not ordered the carpet yet, its on my to-do list but I'm currently admit remodeling both bathrooms in my house lol. I have heard nothing but positive things from Zealous though. I have known multiple people who have ordered the product without issues and liked the high quality. I will be opting for the the OEM style one with the sound deadening.
It's all good. I sent Zealous an email a few weeks back and haven't heard back and wasn't sure if they're still in business.

·
Registered
2000 RSTi - Sedona Red Pearl
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
wowwwww man. that's so awesome. after all these years, you still kept the car and even started getting back into it. Much respect. 99% other people out there would have just moved on with life and lived a normal 9-5 and reminisce about the past.

plus you sound like you are doing well in other areas of life. congrats. love seeing the updates.
It has been been crazy to say the least, I have considered selling the multiple times. But when I think about how much time, money, blood, I have into this project... I would not be able to part with it lightly. I have always dreamed of keeping this car until I am old. I love meeting older car guys that have their classic car from high school. I have been fortunate my parents in Michigan have bigger garages than I do and have been able to house the car. Massive shout out to my good friend Cody, he kept pestering me to get back into it and now I have the Subaru Bug again 😀

Thank you for the positivity! 🙌🙌🙌

It's all good. I sent Zealous an email a few weeks back and haven't heard back and wasn't sure if they're still in business.
Ohhh man you're making me nervous, because I just threw my carpet out lol. Have you heard anything back from Zealous?? 😲👀

·
Registered
'00 2.5RS Coupe
16 Posts
It has been been crazy to say the least, I have considered selling the multiple times. But when I think about how much time, money, blood, I have into this project... I would not be able to part with it lightly. I have always dreamed of keeping this car until I am old. I love meeting older car guys that have their classic car from high school.
First, I have to say that I have recently found myself in a similar boat with my RS that I haven't touched in a few years, so kudos to you! I only wish I decided to get back in to this project even just 1-2 years ago when all the OEM parts weren't discontinued lol.

Ohhh man you're making me nervous, because I just threw my carpet out lol. Have you heard anything back from Zealous?? 😲👀
This is the only reason I haven't ordered from them is because I STILL haven't heard anything. HOWEVER, there is a post on here in which someone says they got an email from Zealous a couple weeks ago explaining their backlog/backorders. I will find it.

EDIT: The thread is here. Go down to post #10.

·
Registered
'00 2.5RS Coupe
16 Posts
P.S. Thought I'd throw this in for good measure. In this post on FB, someone says that Zealous is actually made by ACC. After a quick google search for automotive carpet, it looks like several companies are selling the exact same "93-97 Impreza" interior carpet. So, I guess it's possible (probable?) that Zealous does actually source from ACC or the like.

Anyway, unless I hear back from Zealous sometime soon, I might bite on one of these other sites. This one comes out to $142.29 if you select cutpile, black, standard backing. The only downside is they don't come precut like Zealous offers.

Some food for thought!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
Just out of curiosity, for anyone following here that has done a full STI swap. What are options out there for suspension? Currently the car is sitting on stock 06STi struts and springs, which obviously means its sitting a bit high as the STI springs are designed for a heavier car. This causes more body roll, but the largest "issue" is how squirly the car gets under heavy braking or heavy acceleration. I do think an Anti-lift kit would help with this issue too.

I was considering the following, what do you think the best option is?

1) Put GC8 lowering springs (probably Eibach) on the GD/ STI struts (maybe adjustable top front camber plates). This will lower the car a bit, and improve handling. - Can anyone confirm if this would work? Cheapest option, to get me by for a year or two until I have more seat time.
2) Put Ground Control Coilover conversion on the GD/STI struts. Little pricier but would probably out perform a budget coilover.
3) Budget coilover that would run GD/ STI lower and GC8 upper top hats (few companies out there that do this)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #287 ·
BIG Update Alert!
Now that the swap is mostly done, the next big project was body work and paint. If you scroll through the old posts you can see the quarters have rust. While the car has been garage kept for most of the past 10 years I have owned the car... It still has been growing slowly. Its in the quarters, sunroof, rear unibody of the car. I contacted a few rust restoration shops and most quoted me $15-$20,000 in just rust repair alone.... not including paint. That number hit me rather hard, and after some thinking I decided it would be significantly cheaper to buy a rust free chassis and get it repainted SRP. I ended up searching Facebook marketplace for three weeks, checking all over the country. Paid multiple random friends of friends to go look at different cars for me around the country, in search for a rust free shell. I was about to given up hope and buy a 1993 Sedan with a TON of miles on it in Vegas and get it towed across the country, until I randomly found one in North Carolina!

1993 Subaru Impreza L, Sedan, Auto (124,000 miles). It has lived in Virginia its whole life, and has had five owners. RUST FREE!

After some messages/ pictures back and forth from the owner I decided to take Friday off work and book a one-way plane ticket to Fayetteville, NC. Arrived and met the owner in the evening to look at the L. First impression is the car was a bit rough. Doors are covered in dents and scratches and small surface rust from paint getting chipped off. Small dents in the passenger quarter (asked a body shop and they said those would be easy to fix). Suspension in the rear was/ is blown. Brakes suck and hardly work. Car seemed to be really low on power, and at idle it shook HORRIBLY at idle or below 1000rpm (owner said he thought it was motor mounts). At least it had working A/C lol. This had been one of the cleanest/ cheapest Impreza's that I have found I opted to buy it (after taking pictures and videos of the inside of the quarters and seeing no rust) for $3600 (I personally think it was a little pricey but I was about to spend $4000+ on shipping that 1993 with triple the mileage on it).

Thus began the most SRESSFULL drive of my entire life. My anxiety was at an all-time high for that whole drive (Had a resting heartrate of 85-95bpm... my average is closer to 55-65 when sitting). I was deathly afraid the car was going to die on me and leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere. The L only died on me one time and that was right after I started it Saturday morning after I left the hotel and came to a stoplight waiting to get on the freeway. I was able to put it in park and it fired right up again. On Friday I made five - six hours it from Faytteville, NC to Charleston, West Virginia. Spent the night, woke up early and drove the 8ish hours back to Chicago. The L sat in my garage in Chicago for two weeks until I drove up to Traverse City Michigan this past weekend for fathers day. I will be redoing the STi swap in my grandmas massive two car garage that sits empty lol. See below for the whole drive on Google Maps!

Ecoregion Map Green World Line

To my surprise this L made it 1200 miles and never gave me any real issues, or left me stranded. As silly as it sounds, its probably been the most reliable Subaru I have ever owned (minus my newer Outback 3.6r lol). It only cost me around $250-$300 in fuel and averaged 30+ mpg.

Without further ado here is the new car!
Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Car Wheel Land vehicle

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Tire Vehicle

Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Tire Car

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Automotive side marker light Tire

Plans for the car?
Pretty much redo everything I have done the past 10 years lol 🤦‍♂️... but with more motivation to get it done. I will be swapping all of the STi stuff from the red RS to this rust free chassis (engine/ transmission/ subframes/ suspension/ GD dashboard/ wiring/ ect everything will be coming over). I will also swap the RS front end over to this car (Front bumper/ headlights/ JDM grille/ hood) along with the doors from the RS (as they're already painted SRP and are in better condition than the silver doors on the L). Once the swap is completed I will send it to the body shop to get it repainted Sedona Red Pearl! Hoping to have it swapped and painted by the end of this year!

After I arrived on Friday I had a few hours to spare to start deconstructing the car. Didn't get as far as I wanted too but got the trunk liners removed, seats, and all the wiring from the back of the car removed (see pictures below). It amazes me how clean this car is, I have never owned a southern car/ one without rust before.

I will be back up North during the fourth of July weekend. I will most likely rent a uhual to trailer the red RSTi up north and then work on getting all of the interior/ wiring out of the L. Depending on how much time I have I might tackle taking out the rear end. My buddy Cody wanted to come help again so we set a Phase One swap plan on July 18th. Phase one will consist of STI gas tank/ STi rear subframe/ suspension/ brakes. Depending on the timing we might tackle the wiring and dashboard swap too.

Motor vehicle Hood Trunk Automotive design Vehicle door

281 - 287 of 287 Posts