Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
00 2.5RS
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First: I know there is probably a thread dedicated to this sort of information somewhere on here or the other various Impreza/Suby forums, but I really did search for quite a long time and found nothing terribly informative. Please feel free to direct me to the right place. I apologize if you have answered this question(s) a hundred times. So, that said, here we go:

My goals with the car: Moderate power, nothing crazy like 400whp. I'm looking for about the power of a stock STi. Maybe low to mid 200's.
My Budget: At this point, let's not include it. Just give me your ideas and let me see what this could run me.

I drive a 00RS. Simply put, I want more power. I eventually plan to stray away from NA and go turbo via EJ205 swap. However, I was pretty disappointed to find out that stock WRX's don't push crap for boost.

My ignorant newbie solution: EJ257 shortblock with the EJ205 heads.

Now...what trouble am I getting myself into with this sort of thing? Is it pretty much bolt on? What else will I need to upgrade? How much PSI can the TD04(I think that's the stock turbo) handle? I have a basic knowledge of this sort of thing, but still, I am pretty dumb.

Next, would I be better off just upgrading the 205 internals? Or would it be cheaper/more efficient to go with the 257?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and again, I'm sorry if you've had to answer this before. Thanks in advance.

(Also, this is my first thread. I just want to say that this is the best Suby thread I've come across. You guys are amazing and really know your stuff. Thanks!)

· Registered
88 XT6. 2.7l H6, 4.11 5MT
568 Posts
I say stick with the stock 205. it can take quite a few mods. The Grimmspeed car chases porsches around the track on a 205, and I think still a TD04. clear out the intake/exhaust paths, and you'd be suprised what the 205 can do in a GC chassis.

if you're going to upgrade to a 257, upgrade to a VF39 STi turbo.

· Registered
00 2.5RS
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok. So having a 2.5L SB with 2.0L heads isn't such a good idea?

What other options for a stronger SB would I have? Or should I really just build the 205SB? In my OP I said budget is not an issue right now, but spending 3.5k on the engine and 4k on a performance rebuild is kind of out of the question. I can do a lot of the labor amongst myself and my friends. With that said, I would love to get by with around 5-6k in parts.

What's the best way to push around, say, 12-15psi for 5-6k? And please don't tell me to save up for an STi swap.

Thanks for the replies so far. They actually help more than you know.

· Registered
2006 WRX
567 Posts
You can do the 2.5SB on the wrx heads, but it won't run properly. Your best best is to up the displacement to 2.2. Check here for more info.

www.garagetuning.com and click engine builds.
For what reason? A friend of mine has been running a STI block with WRX heads and a rotated turbo setup (GT3076 IIRC) for close to 2 years now. The only problem with his build is that he used a hydra instead of doing the wiring so his cold starts needed some extra tuning.

· Registered
99 Aspen White Coupe
480 Posts
Now, I know very little about the turbo motors, but those boost numbers you mention should be really easy on an EJ205. I'm pretty sure a lot of people 14.5-17psi with no other mods, but I might be mistaken. For the numbers you're looking for, and EJ205 would be just fine.

· Registered
00 2.5RS
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now, I know very little about the turbo motors, but those boost numbers you mention should be really easy on an EJ205. I'm pretty sure a lot of people 14.5-17psi with no other mods, but I might be mistaken. For the numbers you're looking for, and EJ205 would be just fine.
I bet you could force the 205 to push those kinds of numbers, but I'm also looking to get another 200k miles outta this car too. It's my DD. So, I need power, but reliability at the same time. 17psi on a 'nearly' stock 205 doesn't seem safe. I think I would need a stronger SB whether I just build the 205 or swapped to a 257.

Can anyone give me more details on what it takes to make the 257 run smoothly with the 2.0L heads? A rotated turbo set-up? Hmrph? Haha.

You guys rock. Thanks for the help!

· Registered
2000 Impreza Sedan
1,283 Posts
why don't you piece your STI swap.... I mean 5-6K would easily get you a good engine/harness/ and ECU, if you are swapping yourself or knows some1 cheap. then save and save until you can do the drivetrain, somewhere in there, you start looking for interior pieces, I mean that's the way I'd go with about 5-6 grand laying around, that way you get power (it will haul ass in a GC chasis, with a stock STI engine) and again it's a stock engine which becomes very reliable over time.... just my 2 cents

Rafal

and to answer your question regarding the heads... a good tune will fix any and all issues, but it needs to be done by some1 with some experience in hybrid engines

· Registered
00 2.5RS
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would LOVE to have an STi motor in my GC. Butttttttt...... I don't have 5-6k "laying around".

I have a couple of loans right now that I'm about to pay off. After those are paid in full, I will be thinking about taking out another one to give my RS a few more ponies. Now, a $5000 loan is a helluva lot easier to get/pay for than a $8000/10000 loan. There's just so much more involved in an STi swap than there is in a WRX swap. It sounds like a headache and a bank breaker. Again, I would cream in my jeans over an STi in my car, but personally, I think spending 5k on a WRX is a better fit for me. That way, down the road when I can actually save cash, I can just upgrade pistons/rods etc and build the motor to be an STi killer.

· Registered
568 Posts
Maybe low to mid 200's.
you do realize that a stock EJ205 puts out ~230hp. take out the cats (or most of them at least), take out the TGVs, maybe even go to EWG, a good tune (whatever your preferred variety, I know a number of guys that like the romraider DIY tunes)....250 to the wheels would be pretty easy. and not a strain at all on the 205 block. seriously, follow what the Grimmspeed guys are doing with that car. still with an EJ205 and TD04.

FYI, as far as shortblocks are concerned, the 255 and 257 are identical. so FXTs, LGTs, and '06+ WRX shortblocks would work just the same as an STi one.

· Registered
00 2.5RS
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you do realize that a stock EJ205 puts out ~230hp. take out the cats (or most of them at least), take out the TGVs, maybe even go to EWG, a good tune (whatever your preferred variety, I know a number of guys that like the romraider DIY tunes)....250 to the wheels would be pretty easy. and not a strain at all on the 205 block. seriously, follow what the Grimmspeed guys are doing with that car. still with an EJ205 and TD04.

FYI, as far as shortblocks are concerned, the 255 and 257 are identical. so FXTs, LGTs, and '06+ WRX shortblocks would work just the same as an STi one.
Thanks so much man. A very informative post! :)

· Registered
1999 2.5RS
876 Posts
I've been running 16psi on my tdo4 (tuned of course) for the past 3 years, still no problems and its getting me ~210whp and I still could get a bit more if I wanted to go completely catless. Though I def have the itch to get a slightly bigger turbo like vf34/39/16g, may happen eventually we'll see. Once my sb is finally toast I want to go 257 hybrid w/ 18g or 20g.

· Registered
00 2.5RS
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Once my sb is finally toast I want to go 257 hybrid w/ 18g or 20g.
Kinda sounds like you're just waiting for it to happen. That doesn't sounds like something I want to do. Haha.

That's awesome though. 16psi/Low 200whp is pretty perfect for me. I could see myself getting more power hungry, which is why I want to make sure the EJ205 is the fit for me. I would hate to get it, be disappointed and wish I made a 257 hybrid.

Quick off topic question: I was looking at CP forged pistons on Ebay. The WRX ones say .5mm overbore (92.5mm). Are those fit for stock placement in the 205 SB? Sorry if I'm a dum dum.

· Registered
1999 2.5RS
876 Posts
Kinda sounds like you're just waiting for it to happen. That doesn't sounds like something I want to do. Haha
I think you got me wrong. I'm not waiting for it to happen, nor do I really want it to happen... I wanna run this 205 as long as possible. And now with only 65K on it, I still have MANY miles left to go. My tdo4 @ 16psi = ~210whp setup is still a very conservative tune and isn't pushing the engine hard at all. What I meant was that EVENTUALLY at some point in the distant future my 205 block will go out and I'll need to replace it and when I do it'll be with a 257.

· Registered
568 Posts
Quick off topic question: I was looking at CP forged pistons on Ebay. The WRX ones say .5mm overbore (92.5mm). Are those fit for stock placement in the 205 SB? Sorry if I'm a dum dum.
overbore means the block will have to be bored out by a machine shop. stock WRX pistons are 92mm (IIRC). 92.5s will not fit without machining.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.