Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Impreza 2.5 RS
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to perform this swap on my MY98 Impreza RS. Everything went accordingly until I got to the caliper brackets. I could not get one of those bolts with the dust boot and flange style head to come out of my WRX brakets so I could put the one out of the RS brakets in place of it. I did attempt to install the WRX brakets without switching the bolts out but it caused my brake pedal to have no pressure. Please help.

·
Registered
1998 Impreza 2.5 RS
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no I did not disconnect the brake lines at all. and when I reinstalled my old RS brakes everything worked fine.??? I dont know

·
EEEEP!!!!
Something Slow
2,000 Posts
Did you pump up the brake pedal after installing the brakes? Usually There is no pressure immediately after installation because you compressed the piston.

·
Registered
2000 Imp 5 door Sport
6,269 Posts
so your back on your RS stuff and it doesn't work? with out disconting your brake lines?

if so i have no idea other then conpress the pistons and maybe alittle bleed and try again

·
Registered
1998 Impreza 2.5 RS
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes i pumped the brake and the pressure did gain a bit. However it lacked the orginal catching point of the braking system in general like the pedal goes down too far.

·
Registered
1998 Impreza 2.5 RS
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I changed it back to the RS setup and it works fine.

·
Registered
2000 Imp 5 door Sport
6,269 Posts
sounds alot like air in the lines. don't know how it would have gotten there but i would just try and bleed them again

·
EEEEP!!!!
Something Slow
2,000 Posts
Hmm... did you check to make sure not too much brake fluid sloshed out of the master cylinder when you compressed the pistons?

·
Registered
1998 Impreza 2.5 RS
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I never bled them in the first place I never disconnected a brake line so I am not going to bleed them now. I believe it has to do with a bolt that will not come out of the WRX caliper bracket which in turn is not allowing my Caliper to compress onto the rotor. In the swap I got off of Scooby Mods it stated that both bolts in the WRX caliper bracket must be replaced with the bolts from my RS brackets. I guess the WRX Calipers are just that much different than the RS. But I will say when I had them on there for that breif moment they looked great!

·
Registered
02 GD6
2,056 Posts
if you couldnt get the bolts out of the bracket, its cause they are seized and you will have serious problems if you use them on your car. those bolts are supposed to slide freely inside the bracket to allow the caliper to slide back and forth and center on the rotor.

right now, only one pad is contacting the rotor.

·
Registered
1998 Impreza 2.5 RS
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you saying my 1998 front brakes calipers will not work with my 04 WRX caliper brackets. If so you are saying I need 99 or newer calipers for the front correct?

·
Premium Member
98 RBP RS
674 Posts
I think your calipers should work fine if they look like this:
(2 - 14mm bolts shown; 2 - 17mm bolts already removed)

Also, when you compress the caliper pistons, clamp the brake hose and open the bleeder. Its not good to send brake fluid through the system in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
00 RS, 99 fozzy & 04 rex
1,086 Posts
i did a complete 04 rex brake swap....you need both brackets...rotors...pads..AND the caliper to mount to the bracket and that in turn mounts to the back of the bloody thing....you need to do a compete and through bleeding of the system....it feels a lil weird at first but then it firms up a bit

·
Registered
00 RS, 99 fozzy & 04 rex
1,086 Posts
wish i took picture when i did this 3 years ago....

·
Registered
1998 Impreza 2.5 RS
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
coger is that particular caliper off of a 98 RS?

·
Premium Member
98 RBP RS
674 Posts
yes, i just removed them from my 98 RS

i think the 98RS may have changed midway through the year
check your mfg date if your caliper looks different (mine is 7/98 i think)

the early calipers may not work

1 - 20 of 27 Posts