Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Outback 5mt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im new to the forum so just trying to get some insight before I jump into unknown territory that I can get screwed in. So heres the question and background. I found a BRP 2000 rs for sale that is ej255 swapped from an 06 wrx with a vf39 and an sti TMIC and 06 wrx tranny. It has a brand new ECU, immobilizer, and key all programed for the car because it had a problem where it will just crank but will not start. Those 3 new parts according to the owner supposedly fixed the car and made it run because he then had it protuned. The guy who fixed the car is the guy who protuned it. The issue is that the car has the same problem again and he says he doesn't want to fix it again so he is selling it cheap. Any ideas what could be wrong? All I can think of is some type of wiring harness issue or sensor. Just trying to see if its worth it to buy and fix. Just don't know very much about this motor. Any help is appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
2000 RS
1 Posts
Basic troubleshooting can be used to narrow down what is causing the problem to some extent. Does it have spark? fuel? Is the timing correct etc. etc. Now is the guy going to let you investigate it before making a decision? He may have made it 'not start' by many methods so it just cranks... Which leads me to believe there is something else going on. More than likely hiding a rod knock, piston slap etc etc. If you aren't well versed in diagnosing a swapped car I would walk away, and find another car to buy. If I were personally looking at it, and made the decision to buy it I would be under the assumption that serious engine work may need to be done. The price offered to buy it would reflect the possible repairs needed. Aside from that you can't verify the tranny is in good working order which is another big $ item.

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Outback 5mt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. He is supposed to send me a video today of the car turning over today. So I can post that up tonight. And big motor work is the only thing that was scaring me because I really don't know. Could a simple compression test tell me if there are internal problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Outback 5mt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Crank and cam sensors were replaced, plugs were done at the last time this problem happened, in video you can hear the fuel pump priming so it is getting fuel. Compression hasn't been checked since the time the car was at the fixing/tuner shop. They fixed the car the first time it had this problem when the ecu was replaced. They also did the pro tune on the car too

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Outback 5mt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also he said I could test as much as I would like while looking at the car. And I can't figure out how to post the video of the car cranking over. If anyone knows how to post videos and could tell me then I could post that too

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
Sounds like a troubled car. Me personally, I'd want a complete build log for it or I wouldn't touch it.

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Outback 5mt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yea. It sounds troubled to me too. The only issue is he didn't build it. He bought it built hoping for a toy other than his sti that he did build. But then these problems happened. I have no problem going through a car to find the problem. Especially for the price he wants. I just wanted to get some ideas from some knowledgable people on here about what all could make this problem when the things I mentioned are out of the picture. I just don't really want full on engine problems. Just don't know if there is a way I can avoid them

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
Well if he's letting you play with it before buying it, I'd take him up on the offer and look it over. Maybe it'll be a really easy fix, course maybe it's a completely busted motor. Won't really know until you get to look it over.

Hell if it's half the cost of the sum of the parts and the shell is clean, I'd buy. Well, only if it's a sunroof/moonroof-less shell.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS Sedan
643 Posts
Crank and cam sensors were replaced, plugs were done at the last time this problem happened, in video you can hear the fuel pump priming so it is getting fuel. Compression hasn't been checked since the time the car was at the fixing/tuner shop which by the way is called efi logics on the east coast. They fixed the car the first time it had this problem when the ecu was replaced. They also did the pro tune on the car too

Can you call the shop w/ the VIN or ticket/receipt number and ask them if they recall or have a record of what they had to do to fix it the first time?

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Outback 5mt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea. I could talk to the shop. And I could ask to see the papers from it too. I don't know details at the time other than just that it was a new ecu, immobilizer, and key

1 - 11 of 11 Posts