Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Could you use a web site about RS maintenance??

• Yes!! Definitely!

Votes: 55 80.9%
  • Maybe, I might

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • Nah, I can figure it out

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • No, I pay for my car maintenance

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll-

I have found that there is little published info on performing maintenance to our cars. I was thinking of starting a site to house instructions, diagrams and pics for all types of maintenance.

Would a site like this be useful/interesting to you? :)

Thanks for your input and I'll let you know what I decide.

Brandee

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Woohoo! I was the first to vote! That does sound like a good idea, but what all would it cover?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eventually everything- :D BCS (best case scenario)

The basics like filter changes (oil, air, fuel) spark plugs, belts, fluids on and on.

And I would like to expand it out to bigger stuff like wheel bearings, brake work, cv joints all the more expensive work that's really not that hard, it's just not documented.

I am investing in the big set of manuals so between those and the actual work I do, I will have hands on info, caveats and pic and also be able to reference the exact specs and instructions.

I am also open to ideas, I have a couple of folks that would be helping me write the documentation-even a subaru tech- and so I want to make the most of the site.

SPEAK TO ME! :D

·
Registered
597 Posts
That's a great idea.
i could have used the oil change info last week. I had half of the dirty oil on the garage floor and half in the bucket. and it took me over 3 hours! :curse:

also if you could mention about jacking up the car.
the right way to do it and where the jack points are.

H

·
0 Posts
sunnys25 said:
also if you could mention about jacking up the car.
the right way to do it and where the jack points are.
Did you get one of those little books, with a drawing of an Impreza on the cover, and a title something like "Owner's Manual"?

Yeah. It's in there. :)

:boxer:

But anyway, I'd be most greatful for stuff that isn't in the owner's manual, like torque specs for everything we're likely to happen across. Like sway bar end link bolts. Or oil pain drain bolt. Tranny drain bolt. Rear diff fill and drain bolts.

You know... that kinda stuff.

And torque specs for all of the suspension bits. Strut top nut, top mount nuts, etc.

That'd be gravy. :)

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
A lot of that stuff is on our Scoobymods.com site. We are always looking for more info to put on our site if you want to have us put up anything that's usefull. Just e-mail what you have to one of us moderators.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
sccobymods is a very helpful website, though i've found the impreza to be a pretty straightforward car to work on, for the most part.

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
I have to agree with 10th Warrior and horatio102. The car is relatively easy to work on, but torque specs are definitely helpful. Let's see a turbo install section! :D

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
How about I bring myself, my car, a turbo, a camera, and a comfy chair to your place and sit back and take pics of you installing the turbo on my car? :D

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
I like my idea better, but I've done quite a few installs on other peoples cars for fun before. No turbo's though sounds like fun...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
minx - that looks good too I just ordered one and will report back. I also saw one on the Impreza turbo and ordered that too. Got the last one in stock :)

1) Chilton's Subaru Coupes/Sedans/Wagons 1985-96 Repair Manual (Chilton's Total Car Care Repair Manual) (Paperback)

2) You & Your Subaru Impreza Turbo : Buying, Enjoying, Maintaining and Modifying (Hardcover)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I too ordered the Impreza turbo book and when I reviewed it before purchasing at Barnes and noble I was dissatisfied. It had a ton of great info on the uk car and rally history but very little on the actual specs, maintenance etc.. I decided not to get it right now. I'll get these others and then get it.

I think I will pick up the legacy book though, after reviewing it on Amazon and looking at the excerpts the engine looks almost the same!

Thanks for your feedback on this. Hey maybe after doing all this freakin research and your site we could write a really awesome book that would house all of the RS info. :D (<-- Too optimistic, I know. ;) )

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
horatio102 said:

Did you get one of those little books, with a drawing of an Impreza on the cover, and a title something like "Owner's Manual"?

Smartass :p

JFWY ;)

Brandee

·
Registered
597 Posts
horatio102 said:

But anyway, I'd be most greatful for stuff that isn't in the owner's manual, like torque specs for everything we're likely to happen across. Like sway bar end link bolts. Or oil pain drain bolt. Tranny drain bolt. Rear diff fill and drain bolts.
I know that the manual shows the jackpoints, but I use bottle jacks (yeah I know bad idea). The factory jackpoints aren't the best places to use those. Also, the factory jackpoints are where I put the jackstands once I raise the car. So it would be nice to have alternative jack points like the tow hooks and the rear diff protector for example.
Oh by the way, I believe that the owner's manual does have the torque spec for the oilpan drain bolt(not much else though). so there! :) :D j/k

H

·
0 Posts
Bottle jack eh. Hmm. I realized that I've got a bottle jack for my truck and the top is flat. I really ought to get a perch welded on it so I can jack up the axle like it's supposed to.

I usually put the jack stands underneath the control arm mounting spots.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts