Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

I have tenatively found a host for the site. Yahoo hosting has the best deal I can find. $40/mo and they can handle my bandwidth. The only drawback is no adult stuff, so the Come Catch Her forum is going to go away. And my custom front end is going to die for a while as well, but the forums will live. I am in the process of testing it right now. In case you are wondering why the site is going so slow is because I am running a complete backup right now and then will be pushing out that database to Yahoo to see if it works.

You can see what little of the site that is up here:

http://domain-pending.com/rs25com/

No forums (Yet! They will be there soon!!!).
No chat. It's going away.
No classifieds email notification. I have something in mind though.

No fancy stuff basically. But I will figure something out. Anyway, it's a great bargain for me so I may leave it there for a while. When then change goes through, you'll all know about it. :)

So, the club will remain alive! Yay! :D

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
Will the threads since the dawn of time still be reachable for those who uses "search?" Or will they be archives? And we're still keeping the smilies, right? :run: :)

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the exception of anything "adult" attachment-wise (pictures) everything will remain. I am in the process of testing removing the adult forum right now, and then selectively deleting "suspect" images. That forum never was very ... thrilling in my opinion anyway, so it's no great loss.

Everything else should remain. I am simply going to (I hope!) upload the entire web site and database to the Yahoo servers and hope everything works. There will probably be some problems, errors, and broken things but the site should be 95% the same.

And, it might even save me some money in the long run. Although I will miss running my own servers. What am I going to do with 8 servers now??? :lol:

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

I just found a provider in the Arlington VA area that costs the exact same as what I am paying now ($79.99/mo) that includes decent bandwidth (1.5/384k upload) and 5 static IP addresses. That means that I will be able to host the site on my own servers and even do some load balancing. What does that mean? That means the site can potentially be faster than it is right now, even with the drop in bandwidth.

I'll see how that Yahoo site handles the site, and depending on what kind of hassle it is I may just host myself again. Yay! :D

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
James, you are Da MAN! :lol: you kick serious ass.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thank you James for suffering for our benefit. That is truly admirable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts